Long Lasting Make Up: Too Face Primers

too faced primer

Too Faced Shadow Insurance Primer: £14/ Too Faced Lip Insurance Lip Primer: £14

I am annoyed at myself for only just discovering the power of eye-shadow and lip primers. It seems for years I have been going around not knowing how much better my make-up would look with some added primer.

In September when I was in America and I hit up the holy grail of Sephora and the Too Faced Eye-Shadow and Lip Primers were on my shopping list due to recommendations and pure curiosity so they quickly made it into my basket, and my life.

I have been using the eye-shadow one every single time I wear shadow and I have to say it has worked incredibly. No longer do I get faded shadow which moves in my eye crease by the end of a working day (hooray!) The primer takes a minute to dry, and it thankfully dries without colour before I blend on my eye-shadow. I have found my eye-shadows are more pigmented in colour, they blend on a lot easier and stay on for a lot longer. I seriously don’t think I could live without this product now.

The lip primer is also great, I’ve found my lipsticks doesn’t bleed as much and the colour applies much smoother. I have noticed they last a bit longer but i’ve still to find anything which will hold the colour for long periods of time (Recommendations are welcome!) Despite this I still use it regularly just because my initial colour does sit a lot better with it.

Do you use eye-shadow or lip primers? Are there any you would recommend?
November 4, 2015

• Reply Lindsay McWilliams

I've heard a lot about the benefits of primers but I still haven't invested in one. I would love to try a face primer but I'm worried that I won't see enough of a difference to justify the cost. Do you use a face primer too?

November 4, 2015 at 11:46 am
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

Yes I use a face primer too. I flit between Benefit porefessional and a Smashbox photo finish one. I prefer the finish of the Benefit one and the feel on my skin and it certainly helps my make up stay on better! x

November 4, 2015 at 12:09 pm
  • Reply Roxie Ferguson

I've never used lip or eyeshadow primers before. I've read good things about Benefit's Air Patrol though. I love my Smashbox Photo Finish face primer.

Roxie | The Beautiful Bluebird

November 4, 2015 at 11:52 am
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I have the Smashbox Photo Finish primer but think I edge more towards Porefessional. I haven't tried Air Patrol though so I might need to give this one a look! Thanks x

November 4, 2015 at 12:09 pm
  • Reply Umber Phoenix

I love using the MUA eye primer, or i use the colour tattoo in pink gold (have green grey eyes) and these two products seem to work the best for me.

November 4, 2015 at 11:56 am
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I have been thinking about the colour tattoo (esp as I have green eyes too) so I might have to grab myself one now you've said that x

November 4, 2015 at 12:10 pm
  • Reply Milly Youngman

I use Urban Decay's eye primer and a lip primer from Topshop – I do notice a difference using them! Would love to give the Too Faced ones a try 🙂

Milly // Mini Adventures

November 4, 2015 at 4:31 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

Urban Decay was the other one I was toying with. What are your thoughts on it?

November 4, 2015 at 4:53 pm
  • Reply Milly Youngman

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

November 4, 2015 at 4:33 pm
  • Reply Natasha Mairs

I have never tried any type of primer before. When I wear lipsticks for some reason they only last about half an hour before they disappear, so I would love to try out a lip primer

November 4, 2015 at 4:49 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I used to find that and primer definitely helps making it last at least a few hours! x

November 4, 2015 at 4:54 pm
  • Reply Diana

I never tried using a lip primer before, but a shadow primer ALL THE TIME!

November 5, 2015 at 12:35 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I love both of them and don't think I could be without them x

November 5, 2015 at 1:04 pm
  • Reply Nat Halfpenny

I use a super cheap primer from Super drug. They do a face, eye and lip primer and I love it! I think its something like £2 for the face primer and I have no complaints. Skin feels gorgeous after using it. These look really good, I'm a sucker for lovely packaging!

November 5, 2015 at 12:55 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

The packaging is lovely I have to agree with you there! I don't like using cheaper products on my face I don't know why x

November 5, 2015 at 1:04 pm
  • Reply Hannah Latoya Bond

Primer is a must. My favorite for eyeshadow is NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow base. These ones look great too x

November 5, 2015 at 9:32 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

Oh I love Nars stuff, I might have to try that one out when my Too Faced one is used. x

November 6, 2015 at 9:59 am
  • Reply Mellissa Williams

I have started using an all over face primer and it's certainly making my makeup stay in place longer.

November 5, 2015 at 9:48 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I always use primer even if I'm not wearing foundation/ CC cream because it just makes my face feel nicer x

November 6, 2015 at 10:00 am
  • Reply Jacqueline Brough

I tend to use matte Rimmel lipsticks such as the Kate Moss collection. Especially in the winter as they have a gorgeous berry shade that stays all day with no budge!

I also find that for a cheap alternative to primers (As I run out way too much to mention) – using a colour tattoo pot from Maybeline or Benefit does the same effect with no creasing, and causes even the cheapest of eye shadows to look great!

Jacqui
    thebroughblog.weebly.com

November 6, 2015 at 12:44 am
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I did actually buy one of the colour tattoo pots the other day but have yet to use it underneath anything so i'll definitely be giving this a go x

November 6, 2015 at 10:01 am
  • Reply beautyqueenuk

I have never tried the lip primer but I absolutely love the eye primer, it is brilliant x

November 6, 2015 at 10:38 am
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I must have been living under a rock for only just discovering them! haha x

November 6, 2015 at 10:55 am
  • Reply michaela

Totally agree. I've just discovered primers butttt surprisingly never knew about a lip primer. Going to have to try get my hands on some to try xx

November 6, 2015 at 3:08 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I swear by it now it always lasts a lot longer x

November 6, 2015 at 9:01 pm
  • Reply Face Up Beauty

I swear by face and eye primers. Foundation/alphabet creams and shadows go on so much smoother and the finish is so much better. I used to get the eyelid crease too until I started to use a primer. I use the regular Urban Decay eye primer. I'm less loyal when it comes to face primers but I'm currently using one from Elemis and it's superb (delicious smelling too). Do you use a make-up setting spray? I think the Urban Decay Allnighter totally fabulous. Tx

November 6, 2015 at 4:55 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

Yeah mine always used to crease as well which is why I wanted to use some. When mine runs out I want to try the Urban Decay one as that was my other choice. Yes I use the Urban Decay setting spray which is great x

November 6, 2015 at 9:01 pm
  • Reply fashion-mommy

I love eye shadow primer, it does help to make your shadow last all day.

November 7, 2015 at 1:02 am