My First 30 Days Eating A Vegan Diet

vegan food

At the start of November I set myself a personal challenge and that was to go Vegan for a whole month. The concept scared me a little because I barely went a day without meat so the thought of a month was enough to get me breaking out in a cold sweat.

You might remember I reported after my first week and in all honesty I feel great. I have not missed meat in the slightest, even walking past Nando’s twice a day hasn’t been enough to sway me. Dairy items are pretty easy to find in most supermarkets and i’ve been enjoying trying and making new things.

Over this month the only thing i’ve struggled with is eating out. I’ve been quite lucky in that I’ve had control over where I’ve gone on most occasions but I can on a longer term factor that it might become tricky for birthdays, work meals etc where I have little control over the location. I feel that in most vegetarian options they cut out the meat but automatically replace it with some form of cheese, but this is a challenge i’ll have to work on going forward.

When I started on 1st November I thought i’d do a month of it, prove to myself that I could do it and then revert back to normal eating, perhaps with a little less meat. But I have decided as a general rule to carry on my vegan lifestyle as I have felt so much better for it. Losing dairy from my diet has made me feel less bloated, and losing meat has not left me feeling heavy and icky after eating like it would sometimes.

There are going to be odd times when I go out where I really fancy a little bit of meat, or a side of halloumi (I’m only human). But for me this is going to be a rare occasional treat and not a norm. I am so glad I made the change and gave it a try.

Have you ever tried a Vegetarian or Vegan diet?
November 30, 2015

• Reply emilie layla lovaine

amazing! I transistioned over to vegan last year to help with some health conditions and it changed my life! Good luck with your journey lovely <3 xx http://www.lovaine.blogspot.com

November 30, 2015 at 9:24 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I did mine to get myself healthier and I feel so much better! Congrats on doing it for so long x

November 30, 2015 at 10:16 pm
  • Reply meimeisays

Great post, I have always been interested in going vegetarian, but I love fish and sea food too much, but like you eating out would be heard!

meimei xx

November 30, 2015 at 10:07 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

It's worth trying, you might surprise yourself x

November 30, 2015 at 10:17 pm
  • Reply Sophie Pocock

Great post very interesting with a lot of helpful information.

Sophie
    xx

November 30, 2015 at 10:29 pm
  • Reply Kitty Wood

You should feel really proud of yourself! I've been veggie for 15 years but never quite made the switch to vegan. Tofu is a fave of mine, but I find it so tricky to cook. Have you tried any of the new quorn vegan range?

December 1, 2015 at 10:30 am
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

Wow that's amazing! I haven't been able to find any of the Vegan Quorn range yet, so I think I might need to make an Acodo order soon. I didn't realise when I started that Quorn stuff wasn't suitable for Vegans x

December 1, 2015 at 12:09 pm
  • Reply Sarah Barnes

What a brilliant thing to have done. Great way to do it too, commit to a month as a test run. It's difficult when you need to say you're vegan or vegetarian or not and have a label isn't it? I think it's more important to make ethical choices every time you eat isn't it? Well done you! xx

December 1, 2015 at 10:33 am
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

Thanks Sarah. I thought if I give myself a month challenge i'd see how it goes and go from there. When I go out i'm just going to see how I feel each time. I'm not missing meat so I doubt i'll ever fall down on that, but it's the odd bit of cheese haha x

December 1, 2015 at 12:10 pm
  • Reply Charlotte Evans

wow that's a big change for a meat eater, it's something I think about doing a lot so it's great to hear your experience, I'd love to see some recipe idea posts too! Good luck with it! xx

December 1, 2015 at 6:08 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

Thanks, it was tough, but it's been such a positive change I hope to keep it up x

December 1, 2015 at 9:16 pm
  • Reply beautyqueenuk

Wow you have managed to do it so well, as soon as I saw the word Halloumi I wanted some x

December 2, 2015 at 9:34 am
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I want to go to Nando's to try out their veggie selection but also have some halloumi haha. It is hard to resist x

December 2, 2015 at 10:34 am
  • Reply Kristina Maggiora

WOW well done girl! I don't eat that much meat but I am addicted to dairy products even though I am slightly intolerant to them nowadays. It sucks.
    I should probably try this as well in the new year and see how it goes 🙂

Creepers & Cupcakes

December 2, 2015 at 3:49 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I find dairy free cheese tastes just as yummy as long as you get the right stuff, and soya milk is lovely (especially the Alpro chocolate stuff). I think i'm only really missing eggs which isn't too bad x

December 2, 2015 at 3:57 pm
  • Reply Face Up Beauty

Oh goodness me I don't think I could do a vegetarian diet, never mind vegan. I did eat at a vegan restaurant once and was amazed at the 'chocolate' cake we had for desert. Hard to believe it didn't contain any dairy. Tx

December 2, 2015 at 7:12 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

Yeah I have had a few cakes and things and it's made that there's no egg and no dairy in them! x

December 3, 2015 at 9:18 am
  • Reply Kizzy Bass

Wow well done you. I don't think I could give up meat even for a month!

December 2, 2015 at 8:10 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I didn't think I could at the beginning but i've been surprised x

December 3, 2015 at 9:18 am
  • Reply Diana

Well done! I might try and start January as a vegetarian not a vegan though… but I don't know if that will work for me haha my husband likes to eat meats and we have all of our meals together x

December 3, 2015 at 9:33 am
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I have made a lot of things from Quorn and can not tell the difference! You should try and see if he notices x

December 3, 2015 at 2:18 pm
  • Reply Rachel Simpson

Well Done Rhian! That's brilliant you have done this, I don't think I could give up chicken or cheese! I'm quite a fussy eater so I don't think it would work for me! xo

December 3, 2015 at 1:10 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I am really fussy too but it's been a really good way of trying new things! Dairy free cheese is just as nice! x

December 3, 2015 at 2:19 pm
  • Reply Amy-May Hunt

I JUST did a post about swapping to vegan (I'm not) I can't eat gluten so I'd bloody struggle…good for you though! I'm similar in thought, I'm doing it for health and to better the planet I only eat meat twice a week and I don't eat milk,cheese,pork (other then ham and sausages), turkey or beef.
    I only eat Eggs and Chicken and processed pork (ham sausages) but even then I only eat them once a month, maybe less. We're killing the planet and ourselves by eating meat.

December 3, 2015 at 3:01 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I loved your post it really made me think about it from a non health point of view. I don't tend to eat a lot of gluten in all honesty because I don't really eat bread and the gluten free wraps are so much better anyway! And a lot of the dairy free biscuits/ cakes etc are also gluten free anyway which is good. At least you've found something which works for you which is the most important thing! x

December 3, 2015 at 4:05 pm
  • Reply Donah @ SweetJellyBean

Wow, very impressive! You did such a great job taking on this challenge, I would have been terrified myself as I'm a meat lover. LOL.

December 3, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Thanks, I was before so I am impressed I lasted this long! x

December 3, 2015 at 11:03 pm
  • Reply Louise Joy

I'm doing this in January! I don't know how I'm going to manage but it's going to be a good challenge x

December 15, 2015 at 9:00 am