My First Week Of Being Vegan

My First Week Of Being Vegan

If I had told myself a few months ago that i’d have gone a few days without meat, let alone a week i’d have laughed in your face. But this week I have. I had been toying with the idea of trying a Vegan lifestyle for a while and November seemed like the month to give it a go. It also happens to be National Vegan Month which I didn’t know until starting.

My reasonings for eating Vegan might be looked down on. Yes I care about animals but I am not doing it because my conscious suddenly got the best of me, i’m doing it for health reasons. I’ve battled with my weight my whole life and after re-joining slimming world it’s been up and down and my weight isn’t shifting how i’d like it to be. I had always read things online about people changing to a Vegan diet and losing weight even if they weren’t trying, so I thought i’d take the plunge. I also thought it would be good to prove that I can go without meat.

I’ve found eating a Vegan diet has actually been much easier than I expected. Tofu isn’t as horrible as i’d have expected, I haven’t yet had a chicken craving (and I walk past a Nandos everyday to and from work!) and you can get diary free cream cheese (yay). I’ve spent the past week trying things I never thought I would and surprising myself by actually liking them. I knew i’d have to spread my horizons cutting meat and diary out of  my diet and it’s resulting in me eating veggies (which never happened before!)

The only issue I think will be eating out. One of my friends is a vegetarian and other than that all of my friends and family are cheese loving carnivores. On my first night I went to Zizzi’s and did manage to find one dish which could be made vegan by removing the mozzarella, and I even had the resistance to watch a table full of people eating desert and look on. I can tell eating out is going to lead to a lot less choice but I think I can handle it.

Overall i’m really happy with how my first week has gone and although I don’t think I could ever go Vegan completely (I love a good Nando’s and Christmas dinner), I do think it’s something I can do for longer periods. Plus I had a great weight loss during week 1 despite eating dairy free chocolate and having some treats so fingers crossed for the rest of the month.

Have you ever tried being a Vegan or Vegetarian?

1. November 8, 2015 / 5:49 pm

I've considered going vegan a few times but thought it would be too much of a drastic lifestyle change so I'm really interested to see how you get on. Great post!

• November 8, 2015 / 6:09 pm

It really hasn't been as hard as I thought it would, but we'll see how it goes later this month 🙂

2. November 8, 2015 / 7:51 pm

I never considered going vegan or vegetarian, it's not for me. However, I do congratulate you on trying a new eating style. R

• November 8, 2015 / 8:39 pm

Thanks. Everyone has their own preferences so I thought i'd give it a go x

3. November 8, 2015 / 8:54 pm

ah glad that its working for you since youve seen the positives. I'm the type who craves in so easily haha

• November 9, 2015 / 10:05 am

I like proving myself so I can stick to things pretty well like that! x

4. November 9, 2015 / 10:23 am

Glad to see it's working for you. I'm such a fussy eater and don't eat fish or eggs etc but I love meat and cheese so could never do it but well done on your new lifestyle choice!

Chelsea | http://www.lifeinthenorth.com

• November 9, 2015 / 10:42 am

I was such a fussy eater in regards to vegetables so this is forcing me to try things I wouldn't have normally. x

5. November 9, 2015 / 1:49 pm

I'm always toyed with going vegan and this made have swayed me a little! xx

• November 9, 2015 / 2:32 pm

It really isn't as difficult as I thought it would. 9 days without meat and I haven't yet been tempted x

6. November 9, 2015 / 4:57 pm

I am a vegetarian but I could never be Vegan I love eggs and cheese too much! Well done on your weight loss so far!

• November 9, 2015 / 6:11 pm

I don't think dairy free cheese tastes much different to normal cheese. I do miss having omelettes though. x

7. November 9, 2015 / 6:27 pm

Becoming vegan has always seemed like a much cleaner and healthier lifestyle but I don't think I'd last longer than a day! Well Done for lasting a week!

• November 9, 2015 / 9:43 pm

It's been good to see if i've had the determination to do it x

8. November 9, 2015 / 7:26 pm

I have been vegan for a week also… I'm doing plant based… look into forks over knives!..

9. November 10, 2015 / 12:26 am

Well done on your will power, I was a vegetarian as a teenager, but that was a long time ago.

• November 10, 2015 / 9:57 am

Thanks, it has taken a lot of willpower when I go out for dinner! x

10. November 10, 2015 / 10:43 am

I've been vegetarian for 15 years now, but haven't made the switch to vegan for a variety of reasons, so go you! I always find tofu so hard to get right, I think I just never let it squish and drain enough. Quorn just bought out their first vegan products and I'm determined to find them and give them a go!

• November 10, 2015 / 11:31 am

I am still trying to find the Vegan Quorn range. It made me up that the normal Quorn stuff is made with egg as I do love it! x

11. November 10, 2015 / 11:04 am

I really want to try this!! I don't think I'll ever give up meat forever but I've given it up for lent twice and have massively cut down at other times too. I have that book by deliciously Ella (actually two copies!) so may give some of her stuff a go this Christmas 🙂 Good luck!

• November 10, 2015 / 11:32 am

I love the stuff in Deliciously Ella, need to give some more stuff a go. I think even after this month is over and I am going to massively limit my meat intake as I don't think I could give it up forever x

12. November 10, 2015 / 1:40 pm

I got to listen to Ella tell her story about going vegan earlier this year at Britmums. I've been a veggie in my teens and seriously thinking about going vegan. We know so much more about food nowadays, vegan doesn't have to mean boring

• November 10, 2015 / 8:44 pm

Oh that sounds amazing, I love her book! I haven't been bored at all, and I know i'm only 10 days in but I think it's totally do-able and I didn't go a week without meat before x

13. November 10, 2015 / 1:44 pm

I dabbled with being a veggie in my teens and then I had a veggie month a few years back. Although I like animals, I couldn't do it on a permanent basis – I like meat too much. However, I am very aware of where it comes from.

Quorn have just released a new vegan range you may like to try out. I also used to live with vegans and cooking was a lot of fun – we made lots of soups, tomato based stews with vegetables, mediteranean risotto, all sorts.

Have fun – there's so many tasty foods out there waiting to be discovered!

• November 10, 2015 / 8:45 pm

That's one of my biggest things, going vegan has started to introduce me to new things which i'd never eaten before. I am trying to find the Vegan Quorn range, i'm hoping it appears in my supermarket soon x

14. November 10, 2015 / 8:37 pm

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

15. November 10, 2015 / 8:45 pm

You're right so many tasty recipes. My old housemate used to be veggie so we'd always do a big dinner between us! x

• November 11, 2015 / 10:22 am

What's her blog name? I have been craving mac and cheese so much haha! x

16. November 11, 2015 / 10:33 am

I became a fully fledged vegetarian last month, I'd been toying with the idea for almost a year, I didn't eat a lot of meat so I just had to cut fish out, I actually watched a horrific documentary about how animals are treated in slaughterhouses and just a humans general attitude to animals and believing they don't feel pain! That opened my eyes massively! I'm not quite ready to go full vegan yet because I do love my dairy & eggs! I'm actually writing a post about it to go live this week! Good luck with your veganism sounds like you're doing really well!

• November 11, 2015 / 11:31 am

Thanks. I think the cutting out meat bit is much easier than cutting out dairy. I can deal with Vegan cheese and you can use powdered egg in cooking, it's more the amount of milk/ cheese/ egg within meals (especially when you go out!) x

• November 18, 2015 / 9:57 am

Yeah I imagine it's so tough actually finding food you can eat in a restaurant that doesn't contain any dairy! I think as veganism is becoming more culturally acceptable, I say acceptable because i know a lot of people find vegans odd which is silly, places should offer a vegan option and it really wouldn't be that difficult to do! I've only ever seen a veggie option in places and still sometimes that contains fish hahaha!