Quick Fire Speed Dating Round Two

Quick Fire Speed Dating Round Two

Those of you who have read my blog before will have seen that earlier this year I had my first go at Speed Dating, if not you can take a read here.

Recently I was invited by the team at Date In A Dash* to give one of their speed dating nights a go and I thought why not. Last time I discovered that while I am a shy person if i’m put in one-on-one situation where I have to talk to someone I can do it. I think it’s group situations that I don’t do so well at, and the whole approaching someone (romantic interest or not) is still daunting.

Me and a friend chose a night in St Pauls and the event took place at a lovely bar called Core which i’d recommend going to just for the amazing Tom Collins cocktail. The night ran fairly similarly to my previous experience (and like most others i’d expect) in that after mingling a bit the ladies sat down and were joined by a guy. When a whistle sounded the men moved on along the numbers to the next lady and you had to mark on your card if you were interested yes, no or as a friend. Pretty standard stuff.

core bar

Last time I was a little disheartened by the males in the group, most either couldn’t speak English properly or were almost certainly over the 35 year upper age limit. This time I was pleasantly surprised though. Don’t get me wrong I didn’t meet Prince Charming or anyone I could see myself having a relationship with but the men communicated well (apart from one who I had no idea what the hell he was saying, cue constantly nodding and hoping 4 minutes hurries up). But the guys were not all hitting 35 and were a lot easier to talk to than I had previously experienced.

It might have been the location being surrounded by the financial district but the guys at the event seemed more genuine than i’d experienced before. Out of 16 guys I think I put one yes, about five no’s and ten friends (Maybe i’m too nice a person!). If both parties put either friend or yes you’ll get a match and last time I got matches with everyone, but this time I got about six so some of the guys weren’t just putting yes to every girl in the hope for a match they were being selective.

While having to speak to sixteen random strangers is still a nerve wracking experience I still had a fun evening.

Have you ever tried speed dating?

Photos taken from the Core Bar Website
*Date in a Dash provided me and a friend with a complimentary evening at their speed dating event but all views are my own

1. November 16, 2015 / 3:07 pm

Doing that sounds so scary! I don't think id have the nerve at all to sit and chat with strangers especially when you know your there looking for a life mate.

• November 16, 2015 / 3:42 pm

That's the thing I think most like me were going for the social aspect and to speak to people rather than looking for that allusive life partner x

2. November 16, 2015 / 3:20 pm

Hey, nope, I got lucky and found my best friend 🙂 But I'm a bit shocked by this 35 upper limit! Is there a over35s group? Surely there would be more people interested, no?

• November 16, 2015 / 3:43 pm

There are separate age categories, the one I went to was 24-35 but they do thirties ones, forties and more! x

• November 16, 2015 / 4:58 pm

You'd be surprised at how few awkward silences there are. Most people will make random conversation rather than letting it go into a lull x

3. Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy
    November 16, 2015 / 4:29 pm

If I was single, I would definitely give speed dating a go. It looks like a lot of fun.

• November 16, 2015 / 4:58 pm

It can be a lot of fun yes, interesting at least x

4. November 17, 2015 / 9:26 am

I'm glad this experience was better than the first for you. Not sure I could ever try speed dating, far too shy!

• November 17, 2015 / 11:42 am

I thought I was as well but it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be x

5. November 17, 2015 / 3:20 pm

That is one thing about being in a relationship for so long that I regret – I never got the chance to try out speed dating! I would have loved to have done something like this because it just seems like so much fun. Glad you had a good time at this particular event!

Lottie xx

• November 17, 2015 / 5:05 pm

You have the much better deal though, i'd rather be in your situation x

6. November 18, 2015 / 11:45 am

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7. November 18, 2015 / 12:12 pm

Yes it can go so quickly with some people and much slower with others x

8. November 18, 2015 / 7:00 pm

I've not tried it as I'm married however I know a bit about it as a couple of my friends have done this. They've also experienced what you have, what with the kind of men that turn up. However, it's refreshing to see that on this ocassion, it wasn't all that bad and there were people that you could actually talk to!

• November 18, 2015 / 8:27 pm

I was very happy that they all seemed all least like normal guys haha. x

9. November 19, 2015 / 3:37 pm

I have never been speed dating, it actually sounds quite fun- obviously if you get the right group of guys!

10. November 19, 2015 / 9:34 pm

I've nevertheless to any sort of dating event before for, I was lucky in that I found love and married him! But it sounds like you had fun xx

• November 20, 2015 / 9:47 am

I'd rather be in your situation and not have to haha x

11. November 19, 2015 / 10:15 pm

I;ve never tried speed dating although I have been on a blind date and it was quite awkward lol. I think I would try it if I was single though as it;s great to meet new people. x

• November 20, 2015 / 9:47 am

It was awesome to talk to people who I probably wouldn't have if I had just been on say a night out x

12. November 20, 2015 / 12:27 am

I've been with my other half for 21 years, so never got the opp to try speed dating, but must admit it looks pretty scary!

• November 20, 2015 / 9:46 am

Congrats on the 21 years that's impressive. It was pretty scary x

13. November 20, 2015 / 9:58 am

Never tried speed dating. Must be nerve hacking Glad that this experience was a positive one. R

• November 20, 2015 / 11:34 am

It is nerve whacking but it's a confidence booster too x