Why I Need To Clean My Make-Up Brushes More

Why I Need To Clean My Make-Up Brushes More

I’m going to hold my hands up and say that I am god damn awful at washing my make-up brushes. I do not do it anywhere near as often as I should and there’s probably so much make-up caked on them and I dread to even think about bacteria *shudders*

I knew I needed to start changing that and although I still don’t do it as much as I should i’m starting to get a bit of a routine (either that or it’s time to buy some new brushes!) But recently I bought the Real Techniques Cleansing Gel and it’s changing my routine.

I actually bought the gel before I even owned some of their brushes – fortunately I have rectified this now – and it has pushed me to clean my brushes more. The first thing I do is soak my brushes in water and then use a little bit of the cleansing gel on my little brush mitt which I bought from Ebay. The mitt makes cleaning my brushes so much easier as it gets between the bristles and I noticeably see a lot more product come off than I ever used to.

I bought the small mitt for 99p on Ebay to give it a try and might have to invest in a larger one as it makes it so much easier to clean. I also need to invest in a stand to let them dry in as that is my main issue, I tend to lay my brushes out on a towel to dry but inevitably some of them dry a little misshapen.

What do you use to clean your make-up brushes?

1. December 4, 2015 / 1:02 am

I'm so guilty of not cleaning my brushes often enough, I do have a brush cleanser which works wonders but I just can't seem to get into the habit of doing it regularly! I also need one of those cleaning mitts! That is genius!

• December 4, 2015 / 1:03 pm

I just forget and then when I remember it's quite late so it doesn't happen x

2. December 4, 2015 / 2:34 am

The worst thing, for myself, is that I sometimes think "I should clean my brushes tonight" or "I have a day off, I should clean them now so they're clean until my next day off" and then I promptly forget. Unfortunately, in this instance, it is not the thought that counts 😉 But, when I do remember, I tend to keep it pretty simple. I'll use some regular hand soap and water and let them dry over the sink. I don't tend to use much for cream products, so I don't see much point in getting too thorough.

Good on you for being so on top of things! I'm sure your skin will thank you!

Erin

• December 4, 2015 / 1:03 pm

I am always the same, I think about doing it and then forget which is really bad x

3. December 4, 2015 / 1:07 pm

You are a genius, thank you Rhian. Why would I, as a non make-up wearing guy (well, moisturiser doen't count, right?) be interested in this? Because my daughters do the most imaginative things with my wife's make up brushes and they get filthy. I now know what they're buying her as a stocking filler for Christmas.

• December 4, 2015 / 1:46 pm

Haha, I can't imagine how much mess they make with them! x

4. December 4, 2015 / 1:30 pm

God..I'm the same..awful for washing my brushes. i didn't know RT had released a cleansing gel..interesting. I bought one of those mitts off Ebay a few mths ago. Have I used it yet? Like hell I have!

• December 4, 2015 / 1:47 pm

Yeah i've used it quite a lot and I love it but I do need a bigger one. The Real Techniques gel is pretty great. x

5. December 4, 2015 / 1:42 pm

I"m also guilty of not cleaning my brushes enough. Thanks for the reminder!

6. December 4, 2015 / 2:29 pm

i always use simple facewash to clean my brushes with my DIY brush cleaner thats been going strong for years now.
    Always find cleaning them so theriputic

• December 4, 2015 / 2:37 pm

I wish I found it therapeutic, maybe i'd do it more! x

7. December 5, 2015 / 12:03 am

Totally guilty of this, but tend to mainly buy inexpensive brushes and just replace them.

• December 6, 2015 / 8:18 pm

Yeah I do buy a lot of cheaper brushes but even then i'm really bad with cleaning them haha x

8. December 6, 2015 / 8:35 pm

With my current routine I don't use brushes but when I did I was terrible and would wash them every few months xD I got a cheap cleaner online and would use that.

• December 6, 2015 / 9:59 pm

It really is a struggle to find the time isn't it?! x

9. December 7, 2015 / 2:06 pm

I love my Mac brush cleanser. It does the job.

• December 7, 2015 / 3:03 pm

Oh I didn't know Mac did one. Might have to check it out x

10. December 7, 2015 / 2:25 pm

I admit that I'm awful at cleaning mine also. Might do it tonight, thanks for the reminder!

• December 7, 2015 / 3:03 pm

You're welcome, I might have to do mine again tonight too x

• December 7, 2015 / 3:04 pm

It's crazy how bad they can get in such a short space of time! x

11. December 10, 2015 / 7:16 am

I'm so guilty of not doing mine! *hides behind fingers* and just last night I looked at a brush cleaner from Freedom Make up – your post has motivated me that I need to buy it now!! Great read xx http://www.ladywritesblog.com