Five Things I Learnt Travelling Solo

solo travel

At the beginning of the month I came back from a week of travelling in Morocco where I joined a group trip on my own. I was originally extremely nervous because I am not the most confident person and I find it hard talking to new people but the experience was one of a kind. I learnt quite a lot from the week long trip and can’t wait to do more trips.

Airports can be strangely relaxing places

Being on my own at the airport I got some food and sunk into a corner to read my book before my gate was called. Usually if I was with someone else we would be talking and discussing the holiday but I got a chance to totally relax before my flight. Normally airports can be a bit stressful as you try not to lose people in crowds and having to wait for each other after passport control but on your own it’s quite peaceful.

Ask lots of questions when you’re with new people

Talking to a bunch of 15 strangers who I was travelling with was one of the things I was dreading most as I am not confident at all. A lot of the people on my tour were older than me (up to around 65) so I thought i’d have nothing in common with them and would struggle but asking questions kept the conversations flowing. A simple question like ‘Where are you from?’, ‘What do you do?’ or questions about their children opened up so much scope for conversation and I genuinely met such an amazing bunch of people.

You don’t need to put on an act with new people

Yes all 16 of the people on our group were totally different from one another but this was incredibly refreshing. Sometimes in group situations it can be like putting on an act or making out you’ve heard of things others have, or have similar interests but being yourself is far better. With strangers there’s no need to put on an act and you can be far more relaxed and enthusiastic about things when you’re being yourself.

People are incredibly caring, even if they don’t know you

On our trip we did an intense four hour mountain trek which was incredibly tough from the sheer mountain drops to the intense heat but the people surrounding me made it bearable. If I was struggling to come down a rock face people would put their hands out to help me down, someone who was quite fit decided to stay at the back of the group to ensure no one got left behind and everyone was so encouraging. Travelling alone doesn’t mean you are alone, and if it wasn’t for the group a few of us might have given up part way.

I’m probably more confident than I think

Yes there were odd situations where I was at the dinner table and looked around to everyone else having conversations and I was stuck in the middle but for the most I found it quite easy to talk to these people. Maybe this was because they were older and I felt judged less than I would in a group of 15 people in their 20’s, but either way my confidence seemed to blossom. I made an effort to talk to people even when I didn’t know what to say and it seemed to work.

Solo travelling in a group was nowhere near as scary as I thought it would be. Have you ever travelled alone?
January 15, 2016

• Reply En4tainment

I would love to travel solo but I have my family now so have to wait a bit for that, I will have to keep this post in mind for when I do

January 15, 2016 at 2:04 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

The same is true even if it was just a weekend away so maybe one day x

January 15, 2016 at 2:40 pm
  • Reply Elizabeth

Good on you for doing this! I traveled solo to Paris last year for the first time on my own and I loved every moment of it. I loved it that much that I've booked a single ticket to Norway for this summer. 🙂

January 15, 2016 at 5:20 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

That's amazing. I've booked an 8 day trip to New York for my own as well as 2 days in Edinburgh cause I don't mind going on my own. I can do exactly what I want then! x

January 15, 2016 at 6:13 pm
  • Reply Passport and Toothbrush

I love travelling on my own, although I go really on my own. No tour groups. I feel it really has made me open my eyes more when I travel. Not sure if I can go back to travelling with friends. haha

January 15, 2016 at 6:49 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I am going to Edinburgh for a weekend in Feb and 8 days in New York in July totally on my own and I am super excited x

January 15, 2016 at 9:50 pm
    • Reply Passport and Toothbrush

Oh you will love it. NYC is totally great for doing stuff on your own. I hate going for dinner on my own for instance, but in the USA they almost always have space for solo diners at a bar. Have fun!!!

January 17, 2016 at 5:18 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

That's really useful to know. I think in NY i'll be doing more larger lunches then smaller dinners to fit in better with things but great to know that it's good for solo travellers. I'm so excited about going again and have most of my week already planned out haha x

January 17, 2016 at 5:21 pm
  • Reply Eat.Love.Live

You're very brave to take the leap and do some solo travel. These are some great tips here xx

January 16, 2016 at 2:25 am
  • Reply beautyqueenuk

Part of me always wishes I had gone travelling as soon as I finished Uni, but instead I got myself a job x

January 16, 2016 at 11:57 am
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I did the same, I wish I had taken a few months out to go travelling more, it's so hard to do much around full time jobs x

January 16, 2016 at 12:01 pm
  • Reply Kathryn Liquid Grain

I love travelling, sometimes on my own, sometimes with others it's all very rewarding!
    Liquid Grain

January 16, 2016 at 1:48 pm
  • Reply Lubka Henry

If you don't count the school trips when I would join a group of unknown kids I've never traveled solo with such a large group. Your experience sounds very nice and I'm glad you found it so good!

January 16, 2016 at 4:02 pm
  • Reply Teresa Bowen

I haven't had the chance to travel alone but if the choice was between no travel and alone travel I would choose alone everytime.

January 16, 2016 at 8:42 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

Definitely, if my friends aren't around to go away i'd rather just go on my own x

January 17, 2016 at 2:25 pm
  • Reply jenna abbott

I'm glad you enjoyed travelling alone. I've never travelled alone but I would love to. (Anxiety permitting).

Jenna von x

January 16, 2016 at 11:04 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

It does wonders to your confidence and mind x

January 17, 2016 at 2:25 pm
  • Reply Elodie

You learn so much from travelling alone. I love it! And I totally agree about the airport being a good place to relax. I've been going back and forth between London and France since I was 15, always on my own, and I remember looking forward to some down time alone.

– Elodie x

January 17, 2016 at 2:49 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

It is nice and relaxing to go on your own and I really don't mind it at all 🙂 x

January 17, 2016 at 3:05 pm
  • Reply ana de jesus

Its true travelling solo gives you the opportunity to carry out a holiday just the way you like it.

January 17, 2016 at 5:22 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I am pretty excited to be able to doe exactly what I want to do x

January 17, 2016 at 6:06 pm
  • Reply Aymie Barton

I fancy travelling alone but it's just a lot to think about when you're alone.

January 17, 2016 at 5:25 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

It is, there are certain countries/ trips that I wouldn't do on my own but organised trips are much safer x

January 17, 2016 at 6:06 pm
  • Reply Agata Pokutycka

I've never traveled solo, I always had a friend or my other half with me. Not sure I would go traveling on my own, I am too much of a chicken for it, I think.

January 17, 2016 at 9:09 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I thought I would be the same but it was such a relief x

January 17, 2016 at 9:11 pm