Reflecting On My Early-Mid Twenties

my life

This week I hit the elusive 26 years old and while I am reminded that I am closer to 30 than I am 20 and it makes me think back about the first half of my twenties.

In the last six years I have graduated university, left my retail job for more of a career, moved out of home, bought my own flat, made some fantastic memories with friends and family and generally been very happy.

I’ve definitely learnt the importance of family

Me and my mum used to fight a lot when I lived at home, and when we weren’t arguing I spent time in my bedroom like a sulky teenager/ young adult. When I moved out I was 21 I found that my relationship with my family – my mum specifically – was so much better. I made time to go and visit her and we would actually spend time together because we wanted to. Sure some friends may stick with you for a while but family are there forever.

Experiences are worth much more than anything else

Yes I spend a lot of money on material purchases from makeup and clothes to homewear and bedding, but give me the option of spending on an experience or physical things and I know what i’d choose. With experiences you create memories and they’re what you’re going to remember, not the bag you bought. I have some great memories of holidays, day trips, experience days and a whole host of other things and it’s one of the reasons I am pushing my travelling so much.

polaroid memories

Don’t be afraid to take on challenges

I left retail in July 2014 for a job in marketing with limited knowledge about what I was actually doing. I did short courses, online quizzes and taught myself the basics and everything else I have learnt through the job. If I hadn’t have taken the leap of faith and just applied for jobs in the sector I may have never be where I am today.

Treasure the friends in your life

I am incredibly lucky that I am still friends with a group of seven girls who I know from school and we’re still close despite leaving school seven and a half years ago. We have survived people going off to uni, people getting married, having babies and more but they’re still some of the most special people in my life. It can become harder when you’re out of education to meet new people and make friends so treasure those who mean the world to you.

Do things which make you feel a little scared

This is certainly something I want to do more of, especially along the adrenaline junkie lines like skydiving/ cliff diving etc. But little things make a small difference for example going on holiday on my own and speed dating, both of these things made me feel truly uncomfortable but both left me with great experiences (one more than the other!)

Any other tips you can give me to take forward?
January 13, 2016

• Reply Aymie Barton

I'm not quite there myself but I would just say don't dwell on the bad things and always look forward!

January 13, 2016 at 10:03 pm
  • Reply Rebecca Powell

I'm turning 27 next month so feel your pain haha! I try to just live life to the full and say yes more!

Becca

January 13, 2016 at 11:14 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I need to say yes more. Even if it's just going out or doing things x

January 14, 2016 at 8:58 am
  • Reply beautyqueenuk

Some wise words there Rhian and trust me hitting 30 is no big deal x

January 14, 2016 at 9:14 am
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I'm really bad because I compare where other people are in their lives at my age/ where my mum was when she was my age to where I am now. I'm actually quite excited, an excuse for a massive party! x

January 14, 2016 at 9:26 am
  • Reply Mellissa Williams

I love this quote "I'd rather have a passport full of stamps that a house full of stuff" . I'm a big traveller and I agree with you experiences and friends and family are worth much more than anything else.

January 14, 2016 at 10:24 am
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I love that quote. I wish European countries still stamped passports when you travelled! x

January 14, 2016 at 10:31 am
  • Reply Rachel Bustin

I used to have a similar relationship with my mum. When I was 26 I met my future husband and we saved up bought a house got married and now at 33 pregnant with my first baby. My mum and I are now best friends. Friends and family are so important, I used to neglect them a bit while I was working my butt off. Now as I'm on maternity leave I have caught up with frinds I haven't seen in years. I regret not getting in contact sooner.

Good luck with the rest of your 20's xx

January 14, 2016 at 12:48 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

They really are, I need to make more of an effort to catch up with the friends I've not seen in a while. Glad to hear that you and your mum are closer now x

January 14, 2016 at 1:17 pm
  • Reply Amy Deverson

Experiences are definitely worth more than anything else! Such a lovely post – having memories rather than items is always better. x

January 14, 2016 at 1:11 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

Thanks. I'm one of those people who still prints photos as well just to enhance my memories x

January 14, 2016 at 1:17 pm
  • Reply Kitty Kaos

It is important to reflect because it is only then we notice how much we have grown and learnt as a person x

Miss Kitty Kaos – Adventures Of A Riot Grrrl

January 14, 2016 at 4:04 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

Exactly, I am a totally different person to who I was when I turned 20. x

January 14, 2016 at 5:23 pm
  • Reply Stella Olojola

Make the most of your twenties. It goes by pretty quickly.

January 14, 2016 at 5:10 pm
  • Reply Helen - family-friends-food

I was 40 a couple of months ago… I remember my 20s – LOL! The main thing I've learned, is that life's too short let other people bring you down. If people are being a**holes, that's their problem not yours. Leave them to it and have a good time. It sounds like you're doing pretty well so far 😀

January 15, 2016 at 1:45 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

Great advice. I want to focus on myself and those I love, I think sometimes it's alright to be a bit selfish x

January 15, 2016 at 1:49 pm
  • Reply fashion-mommy

Lovely, uplifting post, I love how you took the bull by the horns when it came to changing your job.

January 15, 2016 at 10:48 pm
  • Reply Amy-May Hunt

You're 26? I had no idea! I just assumed you were younger than me!
    When I turned 24 last week it was really a smack in the face, I'm young ..but I'm still not doing anything with myself, like everyone says these are the years to go travelling, fall in and out of love and be crazy.
    And office job and living at home just isn't cutting it for me..

Hope you had a good birthday!

Amy|Purely amy.

January 16, 2016 at 11:03 am
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

Yep 26 years young haha. There are loads of positives for both of us but I don't think people ever feel totally satisfied x

January 16, 2016 at 11:08 am
  • Reply Sisley White

Really great advice and it's really helped me come up with some new goals for this year 🙂

January 16, 2016 at 11:05 am
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

Thanks and glad you can learn something from it 🙂 x

January 16, 2016 at 11:08 am
  • Reply Micaela Levachyov

As someone turning 30 this year my advice is do what makes you happy and don't worry about other people's opinions!

January 17, 2016 at 9:17 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I am finding that more and more, and that being a little selfish at times isn't always a bad thing x

January 18, 2016 at 9:05 am
  • Reply Little Sunny Kitchen

Happy birthday! I turned 27 a couple of months ago, and it's a bit scary that I'm getting closer to 30… Family has always been #1 for me, friends come and go but family is forever

January 25, 2016 at 9:07 am