Is Being A Workaholic A Bad Thing?

olympus pen

I’ve always been told, ever since I was a youngster, that I was like my Grandpa because of my work ethic. At school I was always conscientious and a hard worker which helped as when I fell into the teenage I can’t be bothered stage in sixth form as teachers would let me get away from it. I got pretty good grades in my GCSE and A Level exams but I was never happy with what I achieved.

When it came to leaving school everyone else was heading to uni so I did the same but the lure of earning money meant that I worked 4-5 days a week and was in uni the other 2 days. It’s hard once you start earning money to take a step back and stop doing it. This was aided by the fact that I lived at home during university so I didn’t take out maintenance loans so I needed to work for transport and book costs (or this is what I told myself!)

Since then my workaholic nature has gone from a bit crazy to full out I don’t even feel I have time to sleep crazy. Most people, especially those who blog or freelance on top of a full time job, will know the feeling of being stupidly crazy but sometimes I do sit down and feel the need to tell myself to slow down.

I currently work full time as an SEO and PPC marketing assistant where I also work as a freelance copywriter in my spare time. Generally i’ll complete 5-8 articles a week for various projects but regularly I’ll take on a lot more than this. But it doesn’t stop there, I edit a large music website called Mosh/ Hit The Floor which includes trawling through 100+ emails a day, allocating out reviews/ news to my team, proof-reading and posting everything written, applying for live shows/ festivals and going to live shows myself to review or take photos.

And of course we have my blog, this space that I created because I wanted to throw more work at myself. It’s nice to have a creative space where genre isn’t defined and I have complete creative control over everything that I write about. Bloggers out there will know the feelings of wanting everything to be perfect: creating the best images possible, scheduling your social media, reading others blogs, promoting your own content, optimizing your blog and more. It isn’t just a case of writing a few words down and clicking publish, if only it was that simple.

Sometimes I look at my massive to-do list reminding me of everything that I need to do and think why do I need to do some of this, why am I taking on this work and what am I getting from it?! But it’s a vicious cycle and one which sometimes I love (when the payments come through from my freelance work or I get to attend an amazing show/ festival) and sometimes I loathe. Lunchtimes are taken up with 5 minutes of lunch and 55 minutes of work and evenings spent in consist of the TV on in the background while I work.

I know that I need to slow down and have more me time but it can be hard when you’re a full blown workaholic. Sometimes I think about just stopping everything other than my full time job for even just a week or two but then the idea passes.

How do you balance your work and social lives?
February 25, 2016

• Reply Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy

There is definitely a balance to be found and that is something I am struggling with. Being a full-time blogger, work is always there and I find it hard to switch off. I am better than I was though.

February 26, 2016 at 10:49 am
  • Reply Life-As-Mum

I can be a bit to obsessive with my blog and I just try and work it around my social life! x

February 26, 2016 at 11:49 am
  • Reply Dominika R.

Great article! I also started working whilst at uni and even though, since then, I have always been employed full time, I find I am motivated the most when I work on my own business rather than someone else's.

Dominika

February 26, 2016 at 4:15 pm
  • Reply Tori Gabriel

It is so important to have a balance. I do a lot of my blogging on my phone at odd moments during the day. That means my evenings are free.

February 26, 2016 at 5:53 pm
  • Reply Claire Cly

Since I've developed health problems I've been forced to slow down and work less, well I'm trying to anyway!

February 26, 2016 at 8:19 pm
  • Reply Emma White

I am a workaholic too and I think its great as I am a very productive and motivated person but there are times I burn myself out so I know I must find a happy medium

February 26, 2016 at 9:22 pm
  • Reply ana de jesus

I am a workaholic too I work 4 jobs plus run my own blog and look after children I have about 3 or 4 hours sleep a night.

February 26, 2016 at 10:48 pm
  • Reply Philocalist

Being a workaholic is NOT a bad thing and never will be! Working in digital marketing, I'm sure you know that most of us share the habit anyway, so at least you're in good company. When you're 70 odd, retried and sitting on the stack of money you've earned – will you really care about being a workaholic? That's the way I look at it!

Jess
    Philocalist.co.uk

February 27, 2016 at 10:57 am
  • Reply Natasha Mairs

I always seem to be working on my blog, none stop. I am trying to cut down at the weekends and only spend an hour online

February 27, 2016 at 11:44 am
  • Reply Stella Olojola

I run my blog as a full time job, just written a book and I care for toddlers all by myself mostly so I will say I am a bit of a workaholic. Won't have it any other way though.

February 27, 2016 at 2:49 pm
  • Reply Sarah-Louise Bailey

I can be a bit of a workaholic – I've worked myself into the ground before which isn't a good thing. These days I'm a bit more laid back (I hope).

February 27, 2016 at 7:57 pm
  • Reply Jessica Ayun

It's not a bad thing. But just like other things, make some limitations. There's still another world outside work. Balancing social and working lives can be tough, but as they say, there's always a way if we really want. 😉

February 28, 2016 at 4:36 am
  • Reply Elizabeth

I think I've got a good balance of work/play, but then my work is kinda like play so it's easy 🙂

February 28, 2016 at 7:44 am
  • Reply Sarah

I don't think it's a bad thing being a workaholic, I think its finding the balance between work life and normal life though. Also I love your notepad in the photo, where did you get it from if you dont mind me asking. xx

February 28, 2016 at 11:51 am
  • Reply Hannah Dainty

I am struggling to find a balance with my blog too, it can take up so much time

February 28, 2016 at 2:40 pm
  • Reply Emma Matthews

I'd probably go insane from boredom if I didn't have a long to-do list each day. I do worry sometimes you don't have time to breathe! It definitely all pays off though.

Emma | EMMAMATTHEWS.CO.UK

February 28, 2016 at 3:57 pm
  • Reply Amy-May Hunt

I was just talking about this to my mum, I struggled to run one blog and one facebook page. This year I'm running two blogs, several facebook and all of my social media, along with volunteering two days a week and college (with college work) It's hard, but I'm much more pro-active with my work now.
    Strange how things work, but I'm better when I have too much to do.

February 28, 2016 at 5:27 pm
  • Reply Leesha Starr

I find it really hard to balance my work and social life. I always seem to be doing more of one than the other

February 28, 2016 at 10:14 pm
  • Reply Katie Elizabeth

I feel the same, sometimes it is very hard to take a step back and have time for yourself, especially when you feel as though you could be doing something useful. My social life suffers and I don't really think I'm getting much life experience, apart from working. It's hard to get a balance

February 29, 2016 at 5:59 pm
  • Reply francesca nelson

Its great that you work so much and still make time for your own blog!! You definitely need to also allocate time to just having a break so don't forget that! 🙂 I'm actually a mum of 2 kids under 5, I'm out of work at the moment but I have a small sode business that takes up lots of my time plus my own blog that I'm really dedicating time to! I miss proper full on work but I know its not a transition I'll be in forever plus looking after two under 5 year olds is hard work enough haha!

February 29, 2016 at 6:01 pm
  • Reply Candace

It's a hard balancing act with everything the modern world throws at us and then we put pressures upon ourselves. At times its good to be kind to yourself and take a step back

March 1, 2016 at 9:54 am
  • Reply kirsty ralph

Life is so hard! But as long as your happy and enjoying it. Does it really matter! Just take some me time once in a while xx

March 1, 2016 at 11:26 am
  • Reply Hannah Latoya Bond

I don't think its necessarily a bad thing. I do think what is important is finding that balance between work and personal life x

March 1, 2016 at 10:28 pm
  • Reply Lilinha Angel

I might not be the best person to give you an advice because I tend to be a workaholic too. I spend most of my lunch break working, but today I made a point of popping out for 5 minutes, just 5 minutes of fresh air made a big difference to my afternoon! 🙂

March 1, 2016 at 11:14 pm
  • Reply AlyssiaRose

I believe myself to be a hard worker but wouldn't call myself a 'workaholic', although maybe I should take a leaf out of your book and throw myself into work a little more

March 2, 2016 at 11:26 am