Valentines Day As A Singleton

valentines day

Valentine’s Day kicks in during February and we’re reminded that yet again we don’t have a respective other half to spend the day with. It’s as if Valentine’s Day is designed not as a day for loved up couples to have an excuse to be mushy and show off their affection in our faces, but it’s designed for us on our own to be reminded of the fact.

I’m not bothered about the being single side of things, it’s been this way for as long as I remember and I’m happy with the dating and sex side without the attachment. I’m extremely busy and happy with my life as it is but when Valentine’s Day falls on a weekend like this year it seems that ALL my coupled up friends disappear. Last year there were quite a few of my friendship group without other halves so it wasn’t noticeable, plus we had the first Fifty Shades of Grey film out to laugh at.

But this year we are down to three of us left without significant others ready to have a fun weekend showing off that the love of your friends is just as important (if not more so) than the love of a partner. I always make an effort to make plans and ensure that I’m surrounded by people I love on the day so we can people watch and have an amazing day and this year is no different. This sounds like a much more fun version than what I’d be doing if I was alone which would be doing a Bridget Jones and crying along while singing ‘All by myself’. Okay maybe not quite that dramatic but you get the picture.

On Friday night of Valentines weekend one of my favourite bands Bury Tomorrow are playing at Brixton Academy with Parkway Drive so I am going to catch up with some friends and see the bands. Deadpool also comes out around the weekend so if I haven’t seen it earlier in the week this will definitely appear on Valentines Day weekend. On the Saturday night it’s going to be heading out with the other two single pringles in my friendship group, downing some pretty tasting cocktails and dancing like children. I think that is a perfect plan. Plus it also means on actual Valentines Day I can wake up with my friends hungover and dying and we can cuddle up on the sofa and order take away. If that isn’t love then I don’t know what is.

Reading this post back I realise I may sound a little bitter about the day and maybe I am, but even when I have been in relationships I didn’t like the day. It’s the same old why display your love on a particular day when you should be showing it all year round.

Whether you’re single or in a relationship what are your plans for Valentine’s weekend?
February 5, 2016

• Reply beautyqueenuk

I am married and havent even thought about what to do for Valentines, it has never been an 'event' I have been that bothered about x

February 5, 2016 at 12:07 pm
  • Reply Stressed Mum

I am married but we never do anything for valentines day, to us it is just a commercial money making thing anyway.

February 5, 2016 at 12:30 pm
  • Reply The London Mum

I always had more fun on valentines day when I wasn't in a relationship, but it does get more tough as gf's pair off. Being in a relationship on V day certainly isn't all that exciting lol. x

February 5, 2016 at 12:46 pm
  • Reply DannyUK.com

I'm in a long-term relationship but fortunately neither of us are massive fans of valentines day – far too commercial for us!

February 5, 2016 at 1:45 pm
  • Reply Catstello

When I was single, a huge bunch of us used to boycott Valentine's Day by going to the pub and getting really drunk.

February 5, 2016 at 2:03 pm
  • Reply Stella Olojola

No plans for Valentine per se. Never really do much anymore.

February 5, 2016 at 3:08 pm
  • Reply Rebecca Smith

Atm my partner is working over Valentines but he is trying to get the weekend off as it is his birthday next week and our son goes on half term. Fingers crossed x

February 5, 2016 at 3:21 pm
  • Reply Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy

I think Valentine's Day is for everyone and even though I have been with my husband for 15 years, I still make the effort to show my family and friends how much I love them on that day.

February 5, 2016 at 3:43 pm
  • Reply Nayna Kanabar

Valentine's Day is about love so you can share the love with anyone on that day does not have to be a couple thing.

February 5, 2016 at 4:16 pm
  • Reply Laura Hartley

I'm celebrating Valentine's Day this weekend instead of next weekend as this is the weekend I'm going back to England to visit my boyfriend. I haven't seen him in a month so I'm pretty excited!

February 5, 2016 at 4:36 pm
  • Reply Rachel Simpson

I have no plans for Valentine's weekend 🙁 I've never been too fussed about it really. You should share the love every day of the year not just Feb 14th xo

February 5, 2016 at 6:54 pm
  • Reply Hannah Latoya Bond

I hate Valentines Day, I always have done. It's one of those days that is over fussed x

February 5, 2016 at 6:58 pm
  • Reply ana de jesus

I hear you sister! I am actually writing a post about 'what its like to be single on Valentines day as we speak and I am not bitter either I am quite happy being single and free. I spent so much time when I was younger in relationships because it made me feel better about myself but it made me realize I don't need a man to make me happy.

February 5, 2016 at 7:21 pm
  • Reply Emma White

This is the first time I have spent valentines day on my own in 18 years but I am going to look forward to it and enjoy it and treat myself

February 5, 2016 at 8:24 pm
  • Reply Camilla Hawkins

I remember Valentines Day when I was younger, it was always a source of great disappointment. Why did I never have a mystery admirer?

February 5, 2016 at 11:45 pm
  • Reply Liz Mays

I'm honestly not that fond of the day myself even though I'm in a relationship. I just feel pressure to make it a special day.

February 6, 2016 at 3:57 am
  • Reply Kacie Morgan

I'm not too sure what I'll be doing yet. It'll just be like any other day to me. I'm single but if I was in a relationship I would buy my partner a gift or do something nice together, but I wouldn't go overboard.

February 6, 2016 at 1:24 pm
  • Reply Sarah-Louise Bailey

Do you know I have absolutely no plans at all – we will probably end up getting a takeaway and renting a movie though. x

February 6, 2016 at 7:34 pm
  • Reply Laura Haley

Last year I spent Valentines with Ricky Wilson from the Kaiser Chiefs-and the rest of the band, and a huge crowd, and my boyfriend at the time. Boo. This year I'm single so I'll be going for a film and chocolate I think

February 6, 2016 at 7:54 pm
  • Reply Leesha Starr

I am working this Valentine's Day but it's my boyfriend's birthday on the 13th so I have double to celebration this year.

February 6, 2016 at 8:09 pm
  • Reply Charli James

I've never celebrated valentines day – there's other days in the year you can show how much you love someone! And you can do it much more subtly than with a big bunch of flowers etc

February 7, 2016 at 3:04 pm
  • Reply Sarah

I'm not sure what we'll do for Valentines day yet, maybe a take away and a film at home! I remember when I was single and I had some of the best times with my friends 🙂 Ahh happy memories 😀 xx

February 7, 2016 at 3:30 pm
  • Reply Charlotte Evans

I have to admit valentines day isn't really a big deal to me, but I love that you have a plan for getting passed the day! I remember once being out for dinner with a friend and it was wall to wall couples which was a bit cringe! Xx

February 12, 2016 at 7:43 pm
  • Reply Lottie L'amour

YOU HAVE TO WATCH DEADPOOL IT IS AMAZING AND BRILLIANT AND OHMYGOSH. Ahem…anyway Valentine's Day sucks, although I must admit I am kinda buying into it this year. But I'm also planning on getting super drunk, so swings and roundabouts! lol

Lottie xx

February 12, 2016 at 8:28 pm
  • Reply Life-As-Mum

Me and my partner don't really celebrate valentines day! So we just had a normal day and evening together x

February 15, 2016 at 9:10 pm