Where My Obsession With Bring Me The Horizon Came From

bmth

There’s no hiding from the fact that Bring Me The Horizon are my favourite band. Going back 6 or 7 years ago when I used to tell people this i’d usually get them laughing at me and asking why. They weren’t a popular band to love during their early stages and a lot of people have strong opinions on them, especially surrounding THAT Nottingham based incident which I won’t get into.

Let’s go back to December 2006 when I was almost 17 years’ old and beginning my obsession with live music shows. It was a Saturday and myself and my best friend queued from 8am at Hammersmith Apollo to see one of our favourite bands at the time and Bring Me The Horizon happened to be supporting. I remember watching them play and being quite confused. The band had just released their first full length album ‘Count Your Blessings’ which still to this day is abysmal but I was intrigued about how a band could be so angry. I hadn’t yet started listening to ‘metal’ music but it was here my obsession first manifested itself.

A few months later I met one of my closest friends who happened to be obsessed with the band herself and she knew them relatively well from following them to shows and it was then that I had a chance to start going to more of their shows as I had someone to go with. In January 2009 they played the Kerrang Tour with Mindless Self Indulgence and me and my friend jumped on a plane and went over to Dublin and Belfast for their shows and then to Norwich when we came back and I remember how exciting it was. Seeing the same band in different venues with different crowds it fascinated me.

oli sykes birmingham
Photo taken by one of my amazing photographers: Jemma Dodd from Birmingham Academy 2015
Since then I’ve seen the band 43 times, with 7 already booked for this year so i’ll definitely hit the allusive 50 *yay*, and this has seen me travel to Amsterdam, most UK cities and a whole load of festivals.

Impressively four out of five of the band are original members but it’s crazy how much the band have progressed and changed over the years. ‘Suicide Season’ and ‘There Is A Hell…..’ are two of my all time favourite albums and it took me quite a while to get into ‘Sempiternal’ and ‘That’s The Spirit’ is a completely different kettle of fish.

The band may not me the same as when I first fell in love with them but they still hold the spot of my favourite band, most listened to band, band I’ve seen live most and the band who have altered my life more than any other band. You know when a band just make you smile when you think of them?! That’s how Bring Me The Horizon are to me.

Whose your favourite band?
February 24, 2016

• Reply Leanne Dolan

Fun fact… my nurse is the mum of Emma Fish… Jordans wife. And Jade Jordans sister was in my year at school. ☺

February 24, 2016 at 10:51 pm
  • Reply Laura Hartley

I used to love Bring Me The Horizon! Don't listen to them much anymore, I loved them when I was going through an angsty phase haha

February 25, 2016 at 4:04 pm
  • Reply Melanie Ed

I am the only person that has not heard of this band, OMG!

February 25, 2016 at 4:22 pm
  • Reply Sarah-Louise Bailey

I have to admit I do like Bring Me The Horizon – I don't think I have a favourite band though, I like certain songs. x

February 25, 2016 at 6:51 pm
  • Reply Emma White

oh now I have heard of these as my teen loves them and has even been to see them

February 25, 2016 at 7:05 pm
  • Reply A J Morrison

I have to admit, I also have never heard of them, but I love the way that people discover bands when they are fairly new and they go on to be much bigger, their loyal fans are great. As for favourite band I really don't have one, I listen to pretty much anything, maybe Bring Me The Horizon will be on my list for next week x

February 25, 2016 at 7:51 pm
  • Reply ana de jesus

I am not a heavy metal fan but I love most types of music mainly rnb/dance/rap/hip-hop it depends what mood I am in. I love that you are so dedicated, I would like to go to more live shows!

February 25, 2016 at 10:31 pm
  • Reply Stella Olojola

I am not so into heavy metal kind of music. I prefer rnb but this looks great. Would love to listen to them.

February 26, 2016 at 12:30 am
  • Reply Elizabeth

I have to confess I've never heard of this band, but they do look rather energetic! I should look them out! My favourite band at the moment is System of a Down. 🙂

February 26, 2016 at 6:46 am
  • Reply The London Mum

Oh my god, I know I'm officially old when I have no idea who the band are! Need to pull myself together lol x

February 26, 2016 at 8:18 am
  • Reply Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy

I think most people just focus on that one incident and can't see past that, which is a shame.
    My favourite band are Death Cab For Cutie. I just love them.

February 26, 2016 at 10:23 am
  • Reply The Nice Nest

Had a quick trip to You Tube to listen and it's my kind of thing. I hadn't heard of them before and they reminded me a bit of Funeral For A Friend, who I also like. Being a bit of an oldie, Pink Floyd is my favourite if I had to pick one, but like finding new stuff to listen to and an eclectic mix.

February 26, 2016 at 5:20 pm
  • Reply Catstello

This is one obsession I'll never get! But this is a lovely post regardless. This is what is great about music; it's objective and different to all.

February 26, 2016 at 6:20 pm
  • Reply Don't Cramp My Style

I listen to tracy chapman , i dont really have favourite band apart from backstreet boys when i was 12 haha

February 26, 2016 at 6:30 pm
  • Reply Leesha Starr

I don't think I've actually ever listened to a Bring Me The Horizon song before. It's not my type of music really. I love R&B/Pop/Hip-Hop.

They are really great photos btw.

February 26, 2016 at 8:42 pm
  • Reply Hannah Dainty

I have never even heard of them! Its making feel really old, I used to keep up with all the popular/new bands but I just don't seem to any more

February 26, 2016 at 10:40 pm
  • Reply Sarah Willoughby

I only started getting into this band when 'Throne' come out 🙂 Then I looked back into their other songs and oh my gosh- it was like 'what have I been missing?' 🙂

February 27, 2016 at 10:44 pm
  • Reply Dee

Love the pictures and the energy of your blog 🙂 Adele (Dee)

February 28, 2016 at 11:43 am
  • Reply beautyqueenuk

Queen will forever be my favourite band but I also like Five Finger Death Punch, Trucker Diablo, Terrorvision, Bush, Metallica, Korn and so on x

February 28, 2016 at 2:21 pm
  • Reply Olivia Thristan

I used to love BMTH back when I was a teen, I do like their new music but it feels like a totally different band 🙂 x

February 28, 2016 at 2:35 pm
  • Reply Hannah Latoya Bond

I've never heard of this band before, sounds like you had a good time seeing them live x

February 28, 2016 at 7:46 pm
  • Reply Rachael Phillips

My fave band is take that! I do love a bit of gary barlow and co 😉 I know very uncool but it is what it is. You're pics are wonderful!! Deffo talented .

February 29, 2016 at 1:58 pm
  • Reply Little Sunny Kitchen

I have never heard of this band before, but will check them out on youtube now!

February 29, 2016 at 7:18 pm
  • Reply kirsty ralph

I love BMtH I so want to see them live!

February 29, 2016 at 7:49 pm
  • Reply Kitty Kaos

I love BMH I missed the last tour though and was a bit gutted so am looking forward to the next time they come around x

Miss Kitty Kaos – Adventures Of A Riot Grrrl

March 1, 2016 at 9:56 am
  • Reply Emma Iannarilli

Oh Rhian! I am just so old!!! I have no clue who these are. *hangs head in shame.

March 1, 2016 at 2:49 pm
  • Reply Brand & Beauty

I have never heard of this band before, though they seem very interesting. I have to admit that is not my type of music. I don't think I have a favorite band, but if I have to say one it will be The Eagles, sadly the guitarist died but their music is still in my heart. Thanks for sharing x

March 3, 2016 at 2:50 pm