Why My Bedroom Will Never Look ‘Instagrammable’

dressing table

I spend a lot of time browsing Bloglovin and reading millions of other people’s blogs and scrolling through Instagram looking at how beautiful people’s bathrooms/ workspace/ bedside table and other areas look. I then look at my own space and wonder how anyone can possibly have all their stuff hidden away to make everywhere look so neat/ uncluttered.

I know I have way way way way too much stuff, everywhere in my flat stuff is pouring out despite my constant Spring/ Autumn/ Every damn day clean outs. I have a two bedroom flat to myself and still have every ounce of space filled. This is perhaps one of the reasons why nowhere in my flat will ever have that perfect Instagram look. You know the one where on your dressing table you just have a little marble trinket box, a high end candle and a bottle of pretty looking perfume arranged beautifully.

bed

I used to aspire that my space would look like that but then I gave up. I bloody love all my stuff and like everyone else I work hard to be able to afford that hundredth lipstick that I totally need, or that thousandth bottle of shower gel just because Lush pulled me in with their pretty smells that clouded my judgement. When I look around my space it’s never dirty and it’s rarely messy but due to the sheer amount of stuff it’s never going to look perfect.

My other issue is my beauty collection, it’s pretty much out of control. It is almost impossible to make it look ‘pretty’. I have so much stuff and even after buying new storage for it/ having a clear out, there’s still so much stuff. The photo I have taken below is only a small collection of what I have as I have drawers and units full of more stuff. I don’t know how people keep everything looking so amazing. Most of the time I just brush it off and remind myself that what you see on Instragram is only what someone wants you to see, it isn’t necessarily what it is like all the time. I.E there might piles of washing on the floor, or half of their stuff has just been moved, but it still makes me think ‘Come on how can I get my space to look like that?’

My walls also follow along the same theme, I love photographs, inspirational words on postcards and canvases showcasing my favourite movies/ brands etc. I have multiple photo frames which have my festival wristbands from over the years, wall hangers and everything else you can think of. I love making trips to places like The Range, Primark Home, H&M, Wilkinsons, Ikea….. the list goes on and stocking up on cushions, photo frames, trinkets and other homely things.

My obsession with art at the moment means that pretty much every time my dad comes round he has something to put up. Yes I know I could do it myself but as I’m in a new build flat where there are wires, pipes and metalwork etc behind every wall so my dad has to use his little machine before he puts anything up and damned if I’m putting a nail in just in case! Canvas artwork, photo frames and everything else you can think of sits on my walls and it’s crazy. Sometimes I look round and wonder how I amassed so much stuff in just 26 years!

Is your space minimalistic/ Instagram friendly or are you like me and just have too much stuff?
February 3, 2016

• Reply Emma White

well your bedroom is much tidier or organised than mine ha thats for sure all my make up is thrown into a drawer

February 3, 2016 at 10:21 pm
  • Reply Nayna Kanabar

My place is far from instagram friendly, I would like to say I have a lived in look!!!

February 3, 2016 at 10:21 pm
  • Reply Hannah Latoya Bond

I like how you have organized all of your makeup, it looks great x

February 3, 2016 at 10:37 pm
  • Reply Eve Redmond

I love your marvel wall! And that skull cushion is amazing! Our apartment is far from instagrammable either!

February 3, 2016 at 11:00 pm
  • Reply Stressed Mum

With having a child, a husband and pets I will never have that instagrammable look either. I like the lived in look anyway x

February 4, 2016 at 10:15 am
  • Reply Charlotte R.B

Lol thats how I feel sometimes. Thats why most of my photos are outside or the living room.
    My aim is to get a Instagram friendly house in the future – Totally joking by the way.
    I love your bedroom decor and that make up space though!!!
    Great post hun
    Charlotte x

February 4, 2016 at 10:24 am
  • Reply Kitty Wood

Mine is pretty much also not instagram friendly! I have 3 cats and a dog, there are bits of dog toy everywhere, fur no matter how much I hoover, and just stuff. And I love it!

February 4, 2016 at 10:38 am
  • Reply Teresa Bowen

No such thing as too much stuff. I just think of myself as having an Victorian aesthetic where every inch of surface was made to display something pretty. Well that's my excuse anyway.

February 4, 2016 at 10:54 am
  • Reply Jade Pearse

Love this post! Such a real and homely look 🙂 much better than these forced & clean bedrooms!

February 4, 2016 at 10:58 am
  • Reply Helen Dickinson

I will never have a instagram home either, I have accepted it and that is okay. My home is my home, it is a place I can relax, be happy and create memories in. I love your Marvel wall.

February 4, 2016 at 11:41 am
  • Reply Louise Joy

Mine's exactly the same, in fact when I was redecorating recently and my sister suggested going for a minimalist theme, I almost laughed in her face! I love displaying my life over my walls, whether that's gig tickets and photographs, or festival wristbands stashed away in a paper mache skull haha

February 4, 2016 at 1:31 pm
  • Reply Emma Groves Mua

Oh my! I love your room and we are pretty similar, I am into comics etc and have the exact same Joker print sitting on my vanity mirror!

I think your room is perfect can I just move in?

Ems

February 4, 2016 at 3:33 pm
  • Reply Sarah

Wow. Your make up storage and whole collection, I LOVE it! I need make up storage SO bad. Also, my room (or my house for that matter) will never be instagramable, I love my things, too. And I have three children and two cats and it's impossible to have an 'instagramable' anything, haha.

February 4, 2016 at 4:00 pm
  • Reply Tori Gabriel

I like to picture these Instagrammers taking these pictures. They carefully arrange their shot and step backwards carefully because there is a mound of junk on the floor that they have pushed out of shot.

February 4, 2016 at 4:28 pm
  • Reply Laura Hartley

Oh I have far too much crap around to have an Instagrammable bedroom. I now have a little Instagram area where I take flatlays but I don't think I'll ever be able to get the whole room into one shot!

February 4, 2016 at 4:51 pm
  • Reply The London Mum

I think it's actually quite instagram worthy! It's certainly more interesting than the minimal look and is much more homely because of it! x

February 4, 2016 at 9:03 pm
  • Reply Ali

I have lots of stuff too but I am trying to get rid of lots now. Good on you though, if you want everything then keep it!

February 4, 2016 at 10:37 pm
  • Reply ana de jesus

Haha I am definitely not what you would call a minimalist by any shot. I like colour and mess shows a home is lived in.

February 4, 2016 at 10:55 pm
  • Reply Stella Olojola

Such a real post. Mine isn't half the time to be honest.

February 4, 2016 at 11:03 pm
  • Reply fashion-mommy

I think it looks great, full of personality and definitely instagrammable!

February 5, 2016 at 1:00 am
  • Reply Jessica Ayun

You are way more organised than me. Haha. I used my bedroom for everything. haha

February 5, 2016 at 5:22 am
  • Reply Roxie Ferguson

I have one tiny corner of my bedroom with decent lighting so I made that my 'instagrammable' spot. If I was to zoom out and show you the chaos surrounding it you'd be shocked. I love your room though, I'm a bit of hoarder and love collecting mis-matched & interesting pieces.

Roxie | The Beautiful Bluebird

February 5, 2016 at 10:06 am
  • Reply Kacie Morgan

I wouldn't say my house is messy, but it is a little unorganised in places!

February 5, 2016 at 1:44 pm
  • Reply Ickle Pickle

You may have a lot of stuff but it is very organised and tidy! You should see mine! I have too much stuff and I am too untidy! Definitely not IG or Pinterest material. Kaz x

February 5, 2016 at 2:00 pm
  • Reply Rebecca Smith

I adore your bedroom! Mine will never be Instagrammable haha x

February 5, 2016 at 2:31 pm
  • Reply Hannah Dainty

with 2 dogs, a toddler and worst of all a husband! my house will never look like a show home but i like to hide things away and try and keep it looking de-cluttered

February 5, 2016 at 2:42 pm
  • Reply Jessica McDonnell

My bedroom is far from Instagrammable but it shows my personality and I prefer it that way 🙂

February 6, 2016 at 9:35 pm
  • Reply beautyqueenuk

Mine will never be pristine white and all fluffy… I have three cats and am a hoarder x

February 7, 2016 at 3:29 pm
  • Reply Candace

Your bedroom looks wonderful. I hate these perfect shots as we all know nobody really lives like that

February 7, 2016 at 4:32 pm
  • Reply Laura Haley

I have too much stuff. my Instagram photos are taken in my mini studio, OR I clear a surface (dumping everything else on the bed!) to take photos. I suspect many others do the same 🙂

February 7, 2016 at 9:51 pm
  • Reply Michelle Murray

I think it looks great. Very tidy and very organised. My room is so messy but I like to call it organised chaos!!

February 11, 2016 at 10:13 pm