March Cult Movie Challenge

cult movies

You know those movies that you assume that you majority of people have seen, those cult classics which are quoted and talked about extensively, well chances I’ve not seen a lot of them. It was only last year that I watched the two Star Wars trilogies in preparation for The Force Awakens. And it was only in the last year that I sawΒ The Goonies, The Lost Boys, Ghostbusters, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, Trainspotting, The Rocky Horror Picture ShowΒ and more of the typical ‘classic’ movies for the first time.

I don’t get a lot of downtime or me time to relax, perhaps the odd half hour here and there where I can read my book but not a lot of time to watch movies. This is why I am setting myself the March Movie Challenge where I want to have watched four classic movies by the end of the month. Watching one movie a week might not seem like much to a lot of you but for me this is a proper challenge to build in the time to do so.

The movies that I want to watch this month are Pulp Fiction which I know a lot of people will be shocked at the fact that I haven’t seen it. So many people talk about how great this movie is so I am really hoping that I don’t let people’s thoughts cloud my initial viewing of it but I kind of feel like it’s a movie that I need to watch.

The Matrix is the next movie that I want to watch, I think i’ll just begin with the original and at some point I might progress and watch the second and third movies depending on how much I love the original. I remember when this first came out but when I was a teenager I wasn’t into anything action or sci-fi related so this didn’t appeal to me. I do think that things may change now though.

Labyrinth is a movie that I should have seen a long time ago but I didn’t and naturally with the passing of Davie Bowie *RIP* I really feel that now is the time that I should see this movie. I pretty much know nothing about this movie so I have no expectations or thoughts about it but I’ve only ever really heard good things about it, plus it has a 7.4 score on IMDB which is generally a good score.

The final movie I am going to aim to watch is Clerks. Another one of those movies which has been on my to-watch list for absolute ages, but something I have never got round to seeing. The great thing is the movie is on Netflix UK so I can watch it on there and actually utilize my subscription to them. I go through phases with Netflix, some months I’ll watch loads and others not so much.

Have you seen any of these movies? What are your ‘cult classic’ recommendations?
March 4, 2016

• Reply Louise Joy

This is such a good idea – I love doing movie challenges! I'd have to suggest any original National Lampoons Vacation movie (the ones with Chevvy Chase), The Burbs, The Frighteners and The Fifth Element πŸ™‚

I've seen most of the ones you've mentioned except for Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, Clerks and Pulp Fiction but Pulp Fiction is next on my list x

March 4, 2016 at 1:26 pm
  • Reply Helen Clark

This is a brilliant idea! Pulp Fiction is one of my favourite films. I'm quite ashamed to admit I've never seen any of the Star Wars films

March 5, 2016 at 1:25 pm
  • Reply Claire Cly

I love Pulp Fiction, it's one of my favourite movies, I haven't seen it in a couple of years, I must watch it soon!

March 5, 2016 at 3:45 pm
  • Reply The London Mum

The Matrix s great, really makes you think!

March 6, 2016 at 3:39 pm
  • Reply Dominika R.

To be totally honest, I haven't seen Matrix as I was never really interested in these type of films but I feel bad now so maybe I should watch it on next occasion? I also have couple of 'classic' in my library that I can watch over and over again.

Dominika

March 6, 2016 at 6:39 pm
  • Reply MsPretty LThings

I've seen all of these. Great movies! If I was going to recommend a classic – I would go with Shallow Grave.

March 6, 2016 at 7:08 pm
  • Reply Emma White

Yes have seen them all and they are OK I am not a huge fan of this type but will watch them I am a chic flick lover

March 6, 2016 at 8:19 pm
  • Reply Lucy Melissa Smith

I can't believe that you've not seen some of these movies! Eeek!
    Pulp Fiction is one of my absolute favourites, I hope you love it πŸ™‚
    X

March 6, 2016 at 8:29 pm
  • Reply Tori Gabriel

Oh my God! Labyrinth is a classic! I am so glad you are getting round to watching it. It's awesome (though you can't help but stare at Bowie'd crotch. You'll see what I mean).

March 6, 2016 at 8:47 pm
  • Reply Kitty Kaos

All amazing films! I love the way pulp fiction is filmed and I was watching labyrinth the other day it is amazing although there are some random theories about it all on you tube!

March 6, 2016 at 10:03 pm
  • Reply Tanya

Ive never seen The Matrix, but Labryinth is one of my favourite movies ever! I love the characters and the whole plot line. Hope you enjoy it x

March 6, 2016 at 10:36 pm
  • Reply Jessica Ayun

I am also one of those who really do no watch the talk of the town movies but I would love to see The Matrix. πŸ™‚

March 7, 2016 at 1:37 pm
  • Reply Casa Costello

People are always horrified when they find out how few films I've watched – I much prefer a good read. I'm intrigued to watch Labyrinth though. Good luck with your quest to watch more!

March 7, 2016 at 2:38 pm
  • Reply Natasha Mairs

Really love the Matrix, but didn't understand it the first time I watched it, so you may have to re-watch it after

March 7, 2016 at 8:55 pm
  • Reply Little Sunny Kitchen

Love the idea but haven't seen any of these movies. Wish I had more time to just relax and watch movies πŸ™‚

March 8, 2016 at 12:05 am
  • Reply Rebecca Powell

Awesome idea! Rocky horror is my all time fave! I really need to watch more cult classics.

Becca
    http://Www.queenbeebecca.com // http://www.housethatbloggersbuilt.Co.uk

March 8, 2016 at 9:06 am
  • Reply Rebecca Powell

Becca
    http://Www.queenbeebecca.com // http://www.housethatbloggersbuilt.Co.uk

March 8, 2016 at 9:06 am
  • Reply Hannah Dainty

Haha this is me! I haven't seen any of these. Really need to get on board

March 8, 2016 at 9:16 am
  • Reply Jade @ Your Future Mixtape

I'm exactly the same as you. I've never seen any of these. Especially Star Wars…

March 8, 2016 at 10:34 am
  • Reply maries beauties

I love these films, they are right up my street, especially Labrinth. Great post hun. x

March 8, 2016 at 5:12 pm
  • Reply Brand & Beauty

This is such a good idea, I might jump on this aswell! I have never seen The Matrix before, it is not really my kind of thing. But frankly I haven't seen any of the movies mentioned above hehe

Celia

March 8, 2016 at 7:22 pm
  • Reply francesca nelson

This is such a good idea! I feel like I need to follow suit! I'm with you on not having much down time and so I also haven't seen some of the classics like the rocky horror picture show and pulp fiction! Labyrinth is a brilliant film especially if you love everyhing old school! I ise to watch it all the time as a child hope you enjoy!

March 9, 2016 at 7:40 am
  • Reply ana de jesus

Pulp Fiction and Matrix are 100% classics but like you I barely watch movies anymore because I never have any spare time. It is exhausting and quite often I don't even have an hour to spare lol!

March 9, 2016 at 9:04 am
  • Reply Emma Iannarilli

Great choices, I love Pulp Fiction and True Romance if you haven't seen that one.x

March 9, 2016 at 9:54 am
  • Reply Dannii Martin

Pulp Fiction is amazing, and definitely a cult classic. It was actually the first film my husband and I ever watched together.

March 9, 2016 at 10:59 am
  • Reply Stella Olojola

I need to make the time to watch my movies this year. Good luck x

March 9, 2016 at 3:10 pm
  • Reply Harriet @ Toby&Roo

This sounds like something hubs would love – I’m dreadful with movies, I tend to like the ones that everyone slates and hate the big hitters! h x

April 6, 2016 at 7:06 pm