Moving My Blog To WordPress

home wallart

Unless you’re a blogger or work in digital marketing (or similar) then you might not really know much about the backends of sites but when I first started my blog I used Blogger. At the time I thought it was the best option for my needs and other than paying a few quid for my domain (which I highly recommend you doing as early as possible), there were no outgoings for me like hosting etc.

I worked on WordPress for all other tasks such as my music writing and within my full-time job so thankfully I had an idea how to use it and how the back-end itself worked. I’d been toying with the idea of going self-hosted for quite a while and about 10 days ago I just bit the bullet and paid for my hosting through TSOhost. I won’t go through all the technical stuff as that’s a post for another time but the hosting company were great at giving me a temporary URL so I could import posts, sort out my layout, grab some plugins etc and finally mid-last-week I directed my domain to my new WordPress site.

My layout is now slightly different, although not hugely, I still love the homepage where you can see the last so many posts to click straight through rather than half reading a post and having to scroll down, but this is purely a personal preference of my own. There are some smaller details which I am really happy with like the Instagram slider at the bottom, the cute little social media icons at the top and other things.

So far so good and my move seems to have been a success. I’m really happy with the way it’s all gone and it’s not been quite as stressful as I’d have thought. My next steps are now to sort out all the alt-text for my images and to up my photography game even more, yes I now have Marble backboards too, yay!

If you’re a fellow blogger what site do you use for your blog?
March 26, 2016

• Reply The London Mum

I love wordpress, and TSOhost are by far the best hosting company. They sort everything out for me when I have a problem. x

March 30, 2016 at 4:45 pm
  • Reply David Shaul

I started my Everton blog on Blogger so when I started my DadvWorld blog I knew WordPress would be the best option, Blogger seems too basic for me. I sharply moved over My other sports blog too 🙂

March 31, 2016 at 10:46 am
  • Reply Little Steps

I’m with wordpress.org and also use TSO. Had a few issues with them when I moved my site from wordpress.com but that’s been resolved and I’m impressed with their customer support. They email not asap, but at least within the day and resolve the issues as soon as they can.

March 31, 2016 at 12:48 pm
  • Reply Sarah Bailey

I made the move a few years ago now and have to say I haven’t looked back – I don’t think I could go back to blogger now.

March 31, 2016 at 2:02 pm
  • Reply Harriet @ Toby&Roo

I’m on wordpress – love it! H x

March 31, 2016 at 4:02 pm
  • Reply Emma Haverty

I’m using WordPress.com and wish I’d set up self hosted at the start, keep meaning to switch but it’s on a very long to do list and never seems to make it to the top 🙂 Fair play on making the move yourself!

March 31, 2016 at 5:51 pm
  • Reply Jules

I went self-hosted on WordPress at the start of the year – I only wish I’d done it sooner! I started off on a wordpress.com site though so the change hasn’t really been that noticeable. I do like being able to download plugins and customize it more to my needs though.

March 31, 2016 at 5:59 pm
  • Reply Oliver

Welcome to this side! Haha! I’ve only ever used Blogger once, for about week as my first blog didn’t last long… but WordPress is absolutely brilliant, I wouldn’t swap it to anything else now! Enjoy your new blog!

Oliver • http://suedeandsymphony.com

March 31, 2016 at 7:39 pm
  • Reply Silly Mummy

Well done on your move! I have always been self hosted on wordpress so I have no comparison. I read a lot of posts with people discussing all the problems of going self hosted, though – sounds like you managed pretty smoothly.

March 31, 2016 at 10:46 pm
  • Reply Vaichin@RamblingThroughParenth

Well done on the migration. I am currently on Blogger and still building up the courage to go self-hosted!

April 4, 2016 at 4:13 pm