How I Manage To Travel So Frequently

Travel

I get a lot of people asking me how I manage to go away so much whether it’s for trips out in the UK, weekends in European destinations or longer trips further afield so I thought it was time to share my tips. There’s nothing groundbreaking about what I do but it’s what works for me.

I work full time in marketing and the pay is okay, it’s enough to pay my mortgage and bills and let me live (just about) and this is why I choose to work freelance in my spare time. This is mainly through copywriting and SEO writing for brands and businesses but I have also done proofreading, social media management, blogger outreach and various other tasks. By working freelance I am giving myself a boosted income after paying taxes (I have my first self-assessment to fill in for 15/16 and it’s sad how excited I am to send it off haha.) All of the money that I make freelancing goes in a travel fund this means that I can then assign money aside for hotels/ flights etc.

This is only the first step in how I manage to travel so much, how I choose to travel makes a huge difference on my outgoing costs. In most cases I am pretty flexible with the location in which I travel so if I know I have a weekend in particular that I want to go away I pop onto Skyscanner (my holy grail flight site) select the dates and click everywhere. If you don’t know how much about the website it then crawls the web and shows me the cheapest places to fly to limiting my choices.

I spend a lot of time (hours and hours sometimes) looking at flights to ensure I make the best decision. I think about the location of the flight as it can be tricky to get to certain airports (especially for early flights) but I also look at prices from Birmingham as well as London as I can get to the airport pretty easily. By being flexible on where I fly from can make a huge difference on flight prices. I am very lucky that Luton is usually pretty cheap to fly from and it’s only a 20 min drive from mine.

Travelling

I always keep an eye open on when Easyjet put out new batches of flights as they’re generally super cheap when they first go out. For example, myself and some friends are heading for 2 nights in Geneva, Switzerland over the first weekend of December for Christmas markets and we got return flights for about £50!

Once I’ve chosen my location the next step is accommodation. While I’d love to always stay in nice boutique hotels the reality is I’d rather save money and stay somewhere cheaper than splurge which means more money for future trips. My first stop is usually bookings.com to find out what the hotel prices are like as sometimes you can get lucky with a good deal. I always factor in the location of the hotel (especially for short trips) to ensure it is central so I am not wasting time (and money) travelling for ages during the day. If a hotel just doesn’t seem feasible I head to hostelworld or hostelbookers to see what my hostel options are.

A lot of people don’t like hostels but I have to say European hostels are not like you expect. I always opt for private rooms as I just find it nicer and safer (especially if I’m travelling alone), and I almost always opt for an ensuite unless it makes a huge difference on price. All the hostels I have stayed in before have been clean and nice and I’ve never had any complaints. I’ve had trips before where I’ve searched around for good flights and a great hostel and paid under £120 for 2 nights in a European city. When you think how much you can pay having a day out in London this is amazing!

By being super organised, strict on money and planning in advance I find that I am able to travel a lot more regularly than I have ever been able to.

Do you travel often? Do you have any top tips?

How I Manage To Travel So Frequently

April 29, 2016

• Reply Beth

Well done you! I wish I was more strict on saving money. I went to Thailand last year and we’ve been to a few places in the UK since. but I don’t really have any tips x

May 2, 2016 at 4:15 pm
  • Reply Sarah Bailey

This is really interesting and such an awesome thing that you get to travel so much and see so much of the world 🙂 x

May 2, 2016 at 5:00 pm
  • Reply Kira L Curtis

I’d love to be able to travel as much as you do! I’m going to Mexico for two weeks on a package holiday in June but then hopefully next year the plan is to go to a few different places on shorter trips to explore more! These tips will be so helpful for us!

May 2, 2016 at 6:12 pm
  • Reply StressedMum

You are so lucky to be able to travel as much as you do, but as you have shown it takes a lot of hard work to find the best deals. Great post and great tips x

May 2, 2016 at 6:59 pm
  • Reply Ana De Jesus

I don’t sadly but I wish I was able to travel more because lord knows I need a break! My friend has family out in Greece and wants me to come so when I have more money I might do that.

May 2, 2016 at 8:20 pm
  • Reply Reclusive Fox

You must work so hard but it’s great that you make so much of your time off. I don’t travel, I’m a homely girl, but who knows, one day.

May 2, 2016 at 8:30 pm
  • Reply Melanie Edjourian

I’ve never been to a hostel before and had no idea they did private rooms.

May 2, 2016 at 9:54 pm
  • Reply Elizabeth

I don’t travel nearly as often as I would like to. You’re lucky where you live in that you have access to affordable flights. Flying from where I live adds several hundreds of pounds on top of a holiday cost!

May 3, 2016 at 5:35 am
  • Reply Stella Kashmoney

Great tips here. I don’t travel that often anymore but I need to change that.

May 3, 2016 at 6:57 am
  • Reply Ayse

We don’t travel much now we have our little girl. Unless you count to see family… but we’re going away next week and have decided to have a holiday pot which we can put in and know that’s purely for a holiday.

May 3, 2016 at 8:59 am
  • Reply The Lazy Baker

When me and my husband got married last year, we planned all these adventures for travelling around the world – but now we’re expecting a little girl in July, travelling around the world has been put on hold – for just a little while though, we will definitely be taking plenty of family holidays together! ☺️
    Some great tips here, thank-you! X

May 3, 2016 at 9:37 am
  • Reply sarah Lea

You are very inspiring! I don’t travel really to be honest, I WANT to but having three kids in school and a rare illness, it isn’t easy but I’d love to travel and visit places within the UK! Some really great tips here, thank you for sharing xx

May 3, 2016 at 11:14 am
  • Reply Liz Mays

It sounds like you’re really, really good at finding travel deals and budgeting it wisely. I’d use extra money for that too!

May 3, 2016 at 11:39 am
  • Reply Ickle Pickle

Brilliant tips – I travel as much as I can, but as a single mum with teens and a tot it is tricky. I have so many trips lined up to London, I wish I could have a home there (or good friend to stay with!) Kaz x

May 3, 2016 at 7:05 pm
  • Reply Harriet @ Toby&Roo

I would love to travel more. Sadly I’m not great at saving and when you have three tiddlers travelling becomes super expensive! H x

May 3, 2016 at 7:26 pm
  • Reply Rosana McPhee

Nice you can find time for freelance work to be able to supplement your income and travel. R

May 3, 2016 at 11:11 pm
  • Reply Emily Underworld

Thank-you so much for this post, it’s so helpful! I’m going to bookmark this, because my friends and I are planning on travelling in the summer and on a student budget, it won’t be easy.
    – Emily from http://www.emilyunderworld.co.uk

May 4, 2016 at 1:23 am
  • Reply Secretplussizegoddess

I need to travel more, and certainly plan better – Thank you for your advice x

May 4, 2016 at 8:32 am
  • Reply Beautyqueenuk

I have used Skyscanner in the past, I got tickets to Pisa for the day for 2p x

May 4, 2016 at 1:35 pm
  • Reply kitty kaos

I actually loved hostels when I was single because you got to chat to so many different people I always stayed in dorms and they were so cheap but I do prefer ones that have modesty curtains! However in a couple you can’t share a bed etc so we don’t use them anymore! These are some fab tips I need to get away soon that is for sure x

May 5, 2016 at 8:32 am
  • Reply Katy Stevens

Nice that you’ve been able to travel so frequently – definitely an incentive to work hard in your spare time too!

May 5, 2016 at 9:09 am
  • Reply Purely Amy

I’d love to travel more, I definitely need to ‘make’ time for it but always find work draws me back in 🙁

May 8, 2016 at 5:08 pm
  • Reply Cheyenne Skyeforest

You are young, and I am guessing, single. Once you are married and have children, traveling in this style is practically impossible, especially once the children are in school. I am glad that it works for you, though! 🙂

May 8, 2016 at 7:03 pm
  • Reply Nya

Thanks for the tips, I love travelling, and I use booking.com a lot, some really good deals there. It’s pretty cool that you have the time and opportunity to do this too. Enjoy!

May 8, 2016 at 7:43 pm
  • Reply Lily Travella

I do similar to you. I always get asked this. People seem to think i’m rich which is very very very far from the truth! I just use my holidays allocated by work and any 2 days i get off together. I use hostelworld mostly. I usually go for female only or 6 people rooms as i love meeting new people and strangely feel safer with others around.

May 8, 2016 at 7:51 pm
  • Reply kmaryam

I don’t even travel so much ! You’re so lucky … I actually trying to start travelling next year and I actually started looking around just to have an idea ! I use to visite kayak.com for flights 🙂

May 8, 2016 at 10:27 pm
  • Reply Anshula

I’ve never heard of Easyjet. I’ve always just used Skyscanner, but I’ll be checking it out.

May 9, 2016 at 2:00 am
  • Reply Alison

These are great tips! I have never used Skyscanner or Easyjet before but I want to now to check out the deals! Great tips and I hope you find some great deals!

May 9, 2016 at 3:26 am
  • Reply Kalliopi Sakellariou

Thank you so much for the advice. I recently stayed in a Hostel and it was absolutely fine. Especially if you stay only for 2-4 days!

May 9, 2016 at 10:33 am
  • Reply Karla Pitzen

Great tips! I want to get back to traveling more, so I am looking for all of the helpful ideas I can find (especially when it comes to budgeting).

May 9, 2016 at 12:00 pm
  • Reply Eloise Maoudj-Riley

sounds like you’ve got it all figured out! So lucky! I would love to travel more, maybe in the near future… thanks for the great tips : )

May 10, 2016 at 12:51 pm
  • Reply Don't Forget The Passports

I also work full-time in marketing and would love to earn some extra money freelancing, but wouldn’t know where to start! Would be great to catch up with you for some advice 🙂 x

May 28, 2016 at 5:41 pm