Being A Pop Princess At V Festival

Bastille V

Now V Festival is totally not my usual style of music, for a start you can hear everything they’re saying and it can be aggressive in a different sense but there’s something which draws me to pop music. Maybe it’s the performance, it’s the fact that there are dancers, and the fun factor of the music. So knowing it wasn’t going to involve time off work I headed to Chelmsford in Essex for last weekends’ V Festival. Justin Bieber headlining was pretty much the main reason I opted to buy a ticket but it was a whole lot more than just him.

Arriving in Friday night I flew in with zero traffic and with my tent already being set up (love my friends) we headed to the main arena for a dance and to attend my very first silent disco which was an experience. I thought this would be something I’d only love if I was drunk (which I wasn’t in the slightest) but it was so much fun and they played so many tunes including some rock stuff which I was shocked to hear.

Saturday began with a few bands I hadn’t heard of aka indie inspired Walking on Cars and female fronted Foxes who were both really good. We popped to see Mike Posner but the sound was so quiet on main stage where we were that you could barely hear anything. Zara Larrson was next up and I was shocked how many of her tracks I knew. I think this is the thing about pop music I hear stuff on the radio in passing and never know who sings them, and Zara was amazing, a definite highlight. From here on we moved to main stage to see Jess Glynn who is always amazing, Bastille who were on form and Sia who was certainly interesting. Again I knew more of her music than I thought I would and the performers were good but her music just doesn’t seem festival friendly, it’s all massive ballads so I think it would work better at a show of her own. Now this was Bieber’s headline day and I’m not going to lie I was psyched but it was so disappointing. He mimed pretty much everything and didn’t even try to hide it, he moaned he was hungover and the set was just a bit lackluster. Sorry Bieber you didn’t shine.

foxes

Sunday actually turned out to be a really good day with Sigala putting on a fun-filled Carribean vibed set, BIG Sean giving me ample time to people watch and Lukas Graham being amazing. ‘7 years’ really doesn’t give the best representation of what the band are like and I thoroughly enjoyed their set, so much so I would definitely see them again. Now again it was off to main stage to hear some of Years & Years who are always great and catch Little Mix who were my other must see, and my god they were great. If any band needs evidence of how you can sing and dance watch these ladies. It was feel good, hit-filled and just incredible, I’d hands down see them again. David Guetta was of course great and gave me time to dance around like a loon then it was time to see the final act of the weekend of which I opted for Craig David’s TS5 which is him performing but also remixing old school tracks which is the perfect combination. I saw this set at Glastonbury but this hands down was so much better (probably as we were like second row in the middle) but wow he still has it.

Is V the type of the festival you’d go to?
August 23, 2016

• Reply LaaLaa

LOL the same thing happens to me when the radios play songs over and over no clue who the artists are until I see videos or actually bother to look at my screen in the car and I get shocked x

August 23, 2016 at 7:34 pm
  • Reply Christine Dodd

I’ve never been to a festival but it’s on my list of things to do!

August 23, 2016 at 7:35 pm
  • Reply angela

I have never been to a festival. My husband has been to Download and Sonisphere. I will need to give it a try as I have only heard good things x

August 23, 2016 at 7:36 pm
  • Reply Francesca Nelson

I’ve not yet been to a festival but V fest has always caught my eye! I know so many people that went this year and had a great time I’m just sad I didn’t!!

August 23, 2016 at 7:49 pm
  • Reply North East Family Fun

Ah I heard about Bieber – what a let down! I would love to see Little Mix live x

August 23, 2016 at 8:06 pm
  • Reply Alyssia Slade

I’ve never been the kind of person that is in to festivals, but if I was, this one would be the one that I would go to. Looks like you had an amazing time!

August 23, 2016 at 8:25 pm
  • Reply La French Connection

Never heard about that festival. I live in Essex but I have to say I’m not from there and I’m not aware of what’s going on. I think I should make an effort! It’s cool to read that cool things are happening there (although J. Bieber wouldn’t be enough to make me want to go).
    I hope you had great fun,

Mika | http://www.la-french-connection.com

August 23, 2016 at 10:34 pm
  • Reply Rachael Phillips

i’ve said this before on your blog lol but i’m just not a festival girl. I’m a hotel, hot bath and a cuppa tea gal. BUT that said, this one does interest me, I do love a bit of pop 🙂

August 24, 2016 at 8:03 am
  • Reply Sarah Bailey

I heard quite a bit about Biebers performance it really didn’t seem to go down well – which is a shame as I’m sure he’s the reason many people went.

August 24, 2016 at 9:15 am
  • Reply Hungry_Healthy_Happy

I heard a lot of people were disappointed with Bieber, but at least you had fun at the silent disco!

August 24, 2016 at 9:19 am
  • Reply TalontedLex

I’m the same as you – I think I absorb pop music through osmosis and know a lot more than I think I do! It’s a shame about Bieber but the rest of the performers sound brilliant!

August 24, 2016 at 12:16 pm
  • Reply Ana De Jesus

Yes I love V-Festival its such a fun time, I didn’t see Justin Bieber although I do love him, shame he was lack lustre. I love Big Sean.

August 24, 2016 at 12:36 pm
  • Reply Beautyqueenuk

That is a shame about Bieber, though I am more screamy shouty drum banging metal music orientated than him 😉 x

August 24, 2016 at 2:00 pm
  • Reply Sarahjane

I love such a wide range of music! Some bands at V i would have loved to see! Massive Bastille fan!! Would love to see them live!

August 24, 2016 at 2:49 pm
  • Reply mydreamality

I like pop music, but am not one to finds the festival atmosphere fun. I did however, overhear someone at the shop yesterday talking about how much of a disappointment Bieber was.

August 24, 2016 at 3:26 pm
  • Reply Vicky

I haven’t been to a festival in years, glad you enjoyed it but it was a shame that Bieber didn’t perform well, I bet that was a huge disappointment for people who bought tickets just to see him.

August 24, 2016 at 6:03 pm
  • Reply Baby Isabella

We’re massive festival goers here! But never been to V Festival. We like smaller festivals like Blissfields, Camp Bestival, Funk the Family etc.. looks great though and some good acts. My mummy likes Reading Festival and Wilderness 😉

August 24, 2016 at 7:01 pm
  • Reply Stella Kashmoney

I have not been at a festival in ages. This post makes me want to now.

August 24, 2016 at 10:57 pm
  • Reply Afshan

Sounds like a great experience. I have never been to a festival. Looks good and good bands too. With a group of your besties it must be even better!

August 24, 2016 at 11:30 pm
  • Reply Natasha Mairs

Sounds amazing!!! I really like David Guetta and little mix, then they are both great. I don’t like Justin, but I have to secretly admit to like some of his songs

August 25, 2016 at 1:20 pm
  • Reply Hannah Heartss ❄️⛄️

I’ve been to V Festival a couple of times and I loved it X

August 25, 2016 at 3:19 pm
  • Reply Melanie Edjourian

I think that acts like Beiber should be a bit more considerate of their fans if they are performing. They get paid well for these gigs so shouldn’t turn up hungover.

August 25, 2016 at 9:26 pm
  • Reply Tara | C&CO.

I have never been to V festival, sounds like a great festival.

August 26, 2016 at 8:39 pm
  • Reply Abigail Porter

Don’t think I could camp there but the whole experience looks so cool, not far from me either! X

August 29, 2016 at 10:27 am
  • Reply Savi and Vid

I love music festivals but V was CROWDED when I went. However I’d totally brave that for a bit of Guetta 🙂

August 29, 2016 at 6:10 pm
  • Reply Bethany Naismith

I would love to go to V festival! looks like a lot of fun, it’s just too far away from me 🙂

September 1, 2016 at 9:50 am