Returning To Edinburgh

Returning To Edinburgh

Earlier this year I headed to Edinburgh for a few short days to get my first experience of the city and I completely fell in love with the Scottish city so decided to convince my parents to join me which is what we did last weekend.

On Friday morning we got a quick flight from Luton to Edinburgh to begin our adventure. When I went to the city myself I did everything on foot but with my parents, we did get a few taxi’s and my god they’re cheap. If you jump into a taxi in Watford (don’t get me started on London) £20 might get you about 10 mins away (if that), but that’s all it cost us to get from the airport to our hotel which was about 25 minutes away.

Edinburgh Castle Front

After dropping our bags at our hotel we made our way to the Royal Mile to explore one of the most iconic parts of the city, the castle. With the fringe and the military tattoo being in full swing it was far busier than when I was there in February with people everywhere handing you flyers, definitely something I want to return to and do properly. Despite having done the castle before, the crown jewels were not open when I went so it was nice to see these.

Edinburgh Castle 2

Next up was the Scotch Whisky Experience which was a tour booked entirely for my dads’ benefit and something I booked for his birthday. The tour and talk was interesting and although I didn’t like my sample (my dad got all three of them) it was a fun way to spend the afternoon.

Scotch Whisky Experience

Saturday saw me get to experience two brand new things which I hadn’t managed to do on my last trip; The Zoo and the Royal Britannia Yacht. I am a massive zoo fan and this was a pretty great zoo with decent amounts of animals. Unfortunately, the panda’s were in mating season so were sadly inside in an area where visitors couldn’t see at the moment but there was enough there to keep us occupied including seeing the tigers at lunchtime which was an experience.

Edinburgh Zoo TigerThe Royal Britannia Yacht was one of the best things we did all weekend as it was so interesting and the onboard tea room had some of the best smoked salmon I had ever tasted. Later that evening we had dinner in a busy seafood restaurant just behind Princess Street called Mussel Inn and despite trying some seafood I’m not a huge fan so opted for steak for main but my parents seemed to love it.

Edinburgh

Our final day on Sunday saw two repeat visits for me to the Gin Distillery to hear about the history and manufacturing of gin, see the distillery on site and have a cheeky 11am gin and tonic (yum). Then we went onwards to Holyrood Palace which is where the Royal Family stayed during past visits to the city. With the Queens’ 90th birthday this year Holyrood Palace hosted one part of the Fashioning Reign collection showcasing some of the royal outfits over the years and this was definitely worth checking out.

Edinburgh Castle

Sadly after this our trip had come to an end and we just had a 4 and a bit hour train back to London before getting back to reality. I know for a fact that I’ll be coming back to the city as there’s still things I want to do and it’s a beautiful place. There’s so much to do in the city so check out my top things to do if you’re planning a trip.

Have you ever been to Edinburgh?

1. Home and Horizon
    August 9, 2016 / 10:49 pm

Looks like you had a great time with your parents. Have never been to Edinburgh before so this was an inspiring post on what to see and do.

2. Lynn Lemon Fancy
    August 10, 2016 / 12:00 am

I am embarrassed to say that I have yet to get over the border, I do intend to one day! Ever since I watched Highlander I was captivated!
    Glad you had such a lovely time visiting and this post made me want to go even more!

3. August 10, 2016 / 10:57 am

I’ve never spent any proper length of time in Edinburgh, although we did spend one night en route to the Lake District once. We took the kids to the zoo. I felt really bad for all the trapped animals – they looked so sad and fed up!

• August 10, 2016 / 11:57 am

That’s a shame you felt like that, I actually found Edinburgh zoo great. To create optimal conditions for mating and privacy they had shut down viewing areas to give the animals their own space and the animals I saw looked very well cared for x

4. August 10, 2016 / 3:10 pm

I’d love to spend a few days in Edinburgh, I’ve only had a couple of brief visits in the past. It looks like an amazing city.

5. *Beth Twinderelmo*
    August 10, 2016 / 4:27 pm

I really want to take my girl to see the panda as its the only place in the uk you can see one and shes obsessed!!

6. Angela Milnes
    August 10, 2016 / 4:27 pm

Those penguins are gorgeous. Id love to visit Edinburgh one day and it’s great to have a small glimpse of what its like.

7. Beth
    August 10, 2016 / 6:01 pm

I’ve never been but it looks lovely. Wow £20 for a taxi! So expensive

• August 10, 2016 / 11:14 pm

I thought it was super cheap as it was a reasonable journey and you can pay more than double that for the same journey in London x

8. August 10, 2016 / 6:38 pm

Edinburgh is only 2 hours ish away from us and along a straight road so I’ve been a fair few times. Love it xx

9. August 10, 2016 / 7:01 pm

I have been a couple of times but it was always for church so never really got to explore the city. I would love to do the Whiskey experience since I did the Irish one in Dublin

10. Melanie Edjourian
    August 10, 2016 / 8:11 pm

Wow that’s a long trip back but at least you had a great time 😉

11. August 11, 2016 / 2:11 am

You’re lucky you caught the tigers actually up and moving. I never get to see that! Edinburgh sounds well worth a visit.

12. Hungry_Healthy_Happy
    August 11, 2016 / 9:02 am

I am so jealous that you got to see the penguins. I really want to see the pandas too.

13. Hannah Latoya Bond
    August 11, 2016 / 10:11 am

I’ve never been to Edinburgh, it’s one of those places i’ve fancied going to x

14. August 11, 2016 / 2:54 pm

I’ve never been to Edinburgh but I think we might go later this year, it’s definitely next on our list!

15. Bex Smith
    August 11, 2016 / 3:40 pm

I’ve never been but it looks like a fab place to visit!

16. Beautyqueenuk
    August 11, 2016 / 4:58 pm

I would like to go back to Edinburgh for a long weekend at some point, so much to see and do x

17. Jessica Dearnley
    August 11, 2016 / 6:50 pm

Edinburgh looks so beautiful, I can’t believe I haven’t been yet!

18. Hannah Heartss ❄️⛄️
    August 11, 2016 / 7:46 pm

I am dying to go to Edinburgh to see the Pandas x

19. August 11, 2016 / 9:35 pm

I have been dying to go to Edinburgh because of the wealth of history and culture and your post further reiterated that. Hope you get to go back again.

20. August 12, 2016 / 7:32 pm

I love this city so much! The beautiful architecture and the amazing experiences formed while visiting is just a small portion of this amazing city! I am so glad you had an amazing time!

xoxo, Candice

21. Kira L Curtis
    August 12, 2016 / 8:29 pm

I love Edinburgh, I’ve been once before at Christmas for the markets and it was lovely, but we never really got to see much else, I’d love to go back and visit some of the historical areas! Would love to see the castle close up!

22. August 13, 2016 / 8:12 am

Aw.. now I just remembered my trip to Edinburgh from a few years ago. Such a beautiful city!

23. Annie Brooks
    August 13, 2016 / 9:09 am

I love the fact your learnt about gin on your last day. I love gin! I need to go to that.

24. August 13, 2016 / 4:27 pm

I have always wanted to visit Edinburgh and your post makes me want to visit even more! Looks like you had a great time x

25. Savi and Vid
    August 15, 2016 / 10:22 pm

I love Edinburgh – it is truly one of my favourite cities in Scotland. You must visit during the Fringe festival 🙂