Shine Night Walk – Marathon Number Two

Shine Night Walk – Marathon Number Two

Some of you may remember that last year I took part in Cancer Research’s Shine Night Walk which was a marathon walk through the night totaling 26.2 miles/ 42km. It was probably the toughest thing I’ve ever done. I ached and I got injured, but I succeeded. When this years’ dates came up I booked straight away and almost forgot about it. An estimated £4 million was raised on the night alone across the 17,000 people who did the walk so it’s incredibly worthwhile.

When last Saturday (24th) rolled around it was time to head to Southwark Park and think about the next few hours of my life. As I’d completed the Shine Night Walk before I was able to be a bit more prepared for 2016 which included taking my iPod with me (10 hours walking last year with no music almost drove me mad), taking a spare pair of socks (a godsend), taking some snacks (they do give you some but walking for that long without more substantial food is tough) and taking a waterproof jacket (fantastic as it did rain for an hour this year).

marathon walk

10:35pm came around and the klaxon had gone off and I was beginning the walk. My original aim was 3 miles per hour which meant an 8-hour walk, I wasn’t sure if I could manage it but I was damn well going to try. The first mile went by in a flash, as did the second, and each mile up until about number 8 I was doing in around 15 minutes instead of the planned 20 which gave me time to slow down further along the course and still be on target. Having taken a pre-walk toilet break I knew I didn’t need to stop at Pit Stop 1 which was heaving and I carried on.

Things started to get tough by mile 14 which was the half way mark and having not stopped properly yet I took 10 minutes out to have a sit and a breather. From here on in things got a bit slower, my feet hurt more and more but I was determined and pretty much 8 hours after I started I crossed the finish line at Old Billingsgate, right on target (and an hour and a half quicker than last year!)

The Shine Night Walk was by no means easy – especially for someone who isn’t a small petite active person like me – but I am so proud of myself for pushing through. A massive thanks has to go to Flexitol who sponsored me on my journey and provided me with some foot care goodies which have come in very useful for my aching body.

Would you do anything physical to raise money for charity?

1. fashion-mommy
    September 28, 2016 / 4:31 pm

Well done for finishing the night walk, I tend to keep my donations to charity to be limited to constantly donating and buying from Charity Shops if I’m honest.

2. September 29, 2016 / 7:26 am

I’ve always meant to sign up for Shine – it has been on my goal list for ever. I know what you mean about not having music – it’s an essential for me too! Well done on getting quicker!

3. Joanna
    September 29, 2016 / 10:16 am

Well done for finishing the walk. When it comes to charity I mainly donate and buy from charity shops .

4. September 29, 2016 / 11:30 am

Wow what an amazing thing to do, well done! These days I wouldn’t be able to do such a thing, but I wish I had when I could have. x

5. September 29, 2016 / 12:34 pm

I have heard about this before, I would not be able to do a running marathon but walking would be able to do. It is something I plan on doing one day x

6. September 29, 2016 / 3:41 pm

Congrats on smashing last years time, you must be so proud of yourself! I’ve always wanted to do a marathon since I was younger but injured my leg years ago which caused problems so maybe a walking one would be the way to go x

7. Christine Dodd
    September 29, 2016 / 3:57 pm

Fantastic effort – well done you for walking so many miles

8. Melanie Edjourian
    September 29, 2016 / 10:28 pm

OMG you walked a long way, well done. I’d never have managed it.

9. Louise
    September 30, 2016 / 1:07 am

Wow the name makes it sound so nice but now that you’ve explained it it sounds so challenging! Good on you and well done, I wouldn’t have been able to do that x

10. Beautyqueenuk
    September 30, 2016 / 9:51 am

Well done on walking it and I agree, I would definitely have music with me, friends of mine who do it say they listen to an Audiobook x

• September 30, 2016 / 11:20 am

An audio book is such a good idea as you need to concentrate more! I’ll remember that if I ever do it again haha x

11. September 30, 2016 / 10:44 am

Yes I can see myself doing something to raise money for charity. Fab post.

12. Hungry_Healthy_Happy
    September 30, 2016 / 11:08 am

That is amazing! Well done for walking so far.

13. Amy
    September 30, 2016 / 1:48 pm

Well done! I don’t think I’d be able to do this – looks very challenging!

14. September 30, 2016 / 5:46 pm

Woweee! Well done 15 minutes a mile is really good!! My mummy would love to do something like this!

15. Hannah Heartss ❄️⛄️
    October 1, 2016 / 9:34 am

Well done for this! I would love to do something like this in the future X

16. October 1, 2016 / 1:09 pm

I would of love to do that I had no idea a walking marathon was a thing
    I’ve just done the Macmillan coffee morning. But next year this sounds Perfect for me . Let me know if your doing any others this year I would be happy to join 🙂 Thanks for sharing k x

17. October 1, 2016 / 9:10 pm

oh my, my friend did this and she is aching too. i love doing anything physical to raise money for charity

18. TalontedLex
    October 2, 2016 / 7:41 am

Well done, such a worthy cause and a great achievement that you beat your personal best from the previous year!

19. Annie Brooks
    October 2, 2016 / 10:13 am

Awesome! I did the breast cancer moonwalk years ago. What an great achievement -well done