Five Books I Need To Read

Books to read

Normally at the beginning of the month I do a round-up of what I’ve read but in all honesty, September was a rubbish month for reading. I managed half a book during my travels to Budapest but haven’t had the time to finish it which is annoying. Therefore I couldn’t really do a reading roundup so I decided to instead talk about some of the books I have been meaning to read for ages but haven’t got round to. The aim is that these five books will be the next five I pick up to read, keep your fingers crossed for me.

Mad About The Boy- Helen Fielding

This is the third Bridget Jones book and while it doesn’t follow the story of the third movie it does have the Bridget character older (and perhaps wiser) in it. I have had this book since it came out almost three years ago and still haven’t managed to read it so this is the year. I won’t spoil the storyline of the book which I gauged from the synopsis but it features a 51-year-old Bridget, so much older than the one we saw in Bridget Jones’ Baby.

The Dating Game

The Dating Game – Lucy Watson

When I bought this book I had no idea Lucy was from Made in Chelsea but I love reading books about people’s dating experiences. This is about Lucy’s experiences of cheaters, public betrayals, scandals and break-ups and it’s all about 21st century dating. The Dating Game is designed to talk about rules and tips for first dates and talks a lot about online dating which I think will be fascinating to read.

The One Plus One- Jojo Moyles

I bought this book around the same time that I bought Me Before You and as I enjoyed that duo of books I am sure that I’ll enjoy this one. I really like Jojo’s style of writing and seeing as it’s been a number one bestseller it seems like a winner. It focus’ on Jess Thomas who is running around with two jobs trying to raise two children when she means Ed who has made a silly mistake. It’s probably going to be a predictable book where the pair get together at the end but sometimes you need an easy read.

Fuck Feelings

Fuck Feelings: Less Obsessing, More Living – Dr Michael Bennett and Sarah Bennett

The first few lines when you read a synposis of this book is “Heartbroken? Horrible boss? Confidence crisis? Rubenesque body? Anxious? Lonely? The solution is to find out what’s bothering you and change it, right? Sorry lady. WRONG”. This is such a refreshing thing to read as it isn’t possible to suddenly just sart loving yourself or changing. The book has been written by a Harvard-educated psychiatrist and his comedian daughter so it will be interesting to read both sides of why people overthink and how to cope with what life throws at you. I always worry too much and sometimes concentrate too much on feelings so hopefully this book will give me some good insights.

Story of Alice: Lewis Carroll and The Secret History of Wonderland- Robert Douglas-Fairhurst

I used to exclusively read fiction books and I am now starting to branch out into more of a selection of books and with my obsession with Alice in Wonderland I picked up this book at the British Library when the Alice exhibition came along. The world surrounding Alice and how she was based on a real girl really fascinates me and I’d love to know more about how the concept of wonderland came about.

What books do you want to read?
October 4, 2016

• Reply Savi and Vid

I love the Story of Alice but I hadn’t heard about a couple of the other books you mentioned – I love reading, so will definitely be picking them up soon 🙂

October 5, 2016 at 2:12 am
  • Reply LaaLaa

The dating game and fuck feelings, I need to get – these sound ideal for me. Thanks for sharing love xo

October 5, 2016 at 10:54 am
  • Reply Sarah Bailey

Yet again I haven’t read any of these – I am so out of the reading loop! Would love to read the one about Alice in Wonderland and Lewis Carroll.

October 5, 2016 at 11:43 am
  • Reply StressedMum

I am going to have to get Bridget Jones book, I love her and will be nice to see her that bit older now x

October 5, 2016 at 11:47 am
  • Reply Daniella Keating

I can imagine Lucy’s book to be quite interesting! I need to start reading more too.

October 5, 2016 at 11:53 am
  • Reply Stephanie Merry

I need to spend more time reading, the Dating Game book looks good – thanks for the recommendation x

October 5, 2016 at 2:23 pm
  • Reply Joanna

I loved me before u so defently need to check out the one plus one. I’m looking for more books to add to my collection at the moment as I’ve started reading a lot more now.

October 5, 2016 at 4:42 pm
  • Reply La French Connection

I know it’s hard to believe but I have never read a Bridget Jones book ever!
    And now that I have watched the movies, I feel like it’s spoilt anyway.
    I’ve recently read The Girl on the Train and it was very good (I was planning to do a review about it).
    Mika

October 5, 2016 at 4:48 pm
  • Reply Kathryn

I have just screen shot this post as I am an avid reader and am always looking for new titles to read! The dating game book looks beautiful xx

October 5, 2016 at 6:07 pm
  • Reply Sam Bresnahan

All of those books I would read, especially ‘fuck feelings’ and Story of Alice. Will be adding these to my list!

October 5, 2016 at 6:09 pm
  • Reply Anosa

I read the Bridget Jones book and was so disappointed in it! I felt like it went on and on about the most boring thing ever at one point (won’t tell you what) and just didn’t keep me laughing like Bridget always does

October 5, 2016 at 6:34 pm
  • Reply Beautyqueenuk

The Story of Alice is on my list of books to read too, it sounds so good x

October 5, 2016 at 8:19 pm
  • Reply fashion-mommy

I would love to read that Alice book, although I have heard worrying things about Lewis Carroll’s obsession with her.

October 5, 2016 at 8:19 pm
  • Reply Melissa Zia

All these books sound like very interesting reads 🙂 not sure what I want to read yet I have too many to choose from

October 5, 2016 at 8:45 pm
  • Reply Zoe Lester

So many interested reads included there. I’ve not read in so long I really should again

October 5, 2016 at 10:30 pm
  • Reply Tara | C&CO.

I need to make a refined list like this, I never know what to start first!

October 5, 2016 at 11:19 pm
  • Reply Milly

I really want to read the new Bridget – and see the new movie! I have loads of books lined up to read at the moment, just need the time to get through them!

October 6, 2016 at 8:18 am
  • Reply Jemma Andrew-Adiamah

So many great books here. I’ve got a huge pile to get through.

October 6, 2016 at 10:55 am
  • Reply *Beth Twinderelmo*

I didn’t realise there was another Bridget jones book! Am off to see the film tonight too so it’ll be on the brain!

October 6, 2016 at 12:32 pm
  • Reply Dani M

Ooh Lucy’s dating book sounds quite interesting, I might pick it up! 🙂

Dani x

October 6, 2016 at 12:43 pm
  • Reply Melanie Edjourian

I would love to read the Bridget Jones Mad About The Boy book too, I haven’t read any of the books but do love the films.

October 6, 2016 at 3:58 pm
  • Reply Jennifer B

Ooh the Alice book sounds interesting! I could probably do with the Fuck Feelings one as well as a chronic overthinker. I personally wasn’t too thrilled with how how the storyline of Mad About the Boy went, I’m interested to see how the plot of the film works out as it might be one of those rare cases where film is better! I’m reading The Lake House by Kate Morton at the mo, love everything by her!

October 6, 2016 at 7:06 pm
  • Reply Hannah Heartss ❄️⛄️

I’ve wanted to read Lucy’s book for ages – I’ll have to pick it up x

October 7, 2016 at 11:45 am
  • Reply Kira L Curtis

Suppose I should actually read the bridget jones books in general, to be honest, I haven’t seen any of the films either!

October 7, 2016 at 11:30 pm
  • Reply Baby Isabella

My mummy is currently reading Alice in Wonderland to me, a simpler picture book, I hasten to add, but still great for a toddler xx Some really great books there!

October 8, 2016 at 8:00 am
  • Reply Things Sarah Loves

I’m a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland so I love the sound of The Story of Alice. Will you be writing a review on it?

October 8, 2016 at 10:48 am
  • Reply Charlotte

I haven’t read the third Bridget Jones book yet. I want to read it before I see the film and I really want to see the film so I had better get a move on! x

October 9, 2016 at 11:18 am
  • Reply Bethany Naismith

I read my first JoJo Moyes book and was a big fan so I’ll need to try out this one!

October 17, 2016 at 8:39 am