Reasons You’ll Fall In Love With New York

Reasons You’ll Fall In Love With New York

You’re probably all sick to death of me ranting and going on about New York, but I just can’t help it it’s the city I left my heart in and I just can’t leave it too long before I retrieve it. It’s one of those cities – akin to London – where it doesn’t matter what you’re into you’ll have plenty to do. I went on my fourth trip this summer (You can see my photo diaries here and here), and there’s still so much left for me to do. Here are some reasons why you’ll fall in love with the city:

There’s plenty of nature

For a city so large and built up there’s plenty of nature and greenland, and I’m not just talking about the obvious Central Park. You’ve got The High Line which I love, Brooklyn Bridge Park, Hudson River Park, Prospect Park and Battery Park so there’s plenty of space to relax, enjoy the sun and eat your lunch.

The choice of food is incredible

You don’t need to venture far to be spoilt for choice when it comes to food, and not just your typical burgers and diner food. There’s amazing Mexican’s/ Italians/ Thai and much more. Check out my food diaries for inspiration/ hunger pangs.

bubbys

Brunch is the best meal you’ll eat

The great thing about brunch is that  it’s late enough that you can opt for a burger or something heartier but it’s still breakfast, so if you fancy pancakes or avocado on toast you can. A mimosa or not the choice is yours and brunch is definitely the best meal of the day.

The city is so walkable

Yes New York City itself is huge and you can’t walk from The Met right down to Battery Park without feeling like you might die, but there’s no huge need to use the metro. Plan what you want to do in sections i.e. Chelsea and Soho/ Upper West Side and Central Park/ Lower East and Brooklyn etc, then you can experience New York from the streets and not the underground.

The skyline is incredible

Whether you look at the skyline from the Brooklyn Bridge/ across the water, from New Jersey as you come from the airport or from the top of one of the many buildings (Rockefeller is my personal choice), the skyline is incredible. With so many beautiful buildings and amazing areas, you’ll be pretty stunned seeing it.

new york skyline

The sense of pride New Yorkers have

People from New York are always proud of where they’re from and you get a real sense of this pride and honour when you go down to ground zero and see the memorials and museum. The locals are not only proud of their city but are strong, resilient people.

The amount of free things to do

Yes New York can be an expensive city to holiday in from food and spending money to theatre trips and accommodation but there are so many free things to do in the city including The High Line Walk, Central Park Exploration, The Met (A donation is asked but not mandatory), Comedy Shows, The Staten Island Ferry and much more.

The shopping

Of course I couldn’t talk about New York and not mention shopping from the incredible Macys and Bloomingdales through to the best version of Sephora (Sorry European versions you’re just not good enough). There’s loads of smaller boutiques including the Birchbox Store, Bite Beauty Lab, the cute Chelsea Market and the epic Strand Bookshop.

Have you ever been to New York? What do you think of the city?

1. October 7, 2016 / 7:18 pm

I am looking forward to visiting next year. Heard great things about the city.

2. Nayna Kanabar
    October 9, 2016 / 8:43 pm

New York is a beautiful city with so much to do. It has a wonderful feel too.

3. Jo Wiggins
    October 9, 2016 / 9:10 pm

You’ve made me so jealous, NY is on my list of places to visit. I’m hoping hubby will take me next year for my Birthday. The shopping sounds amazing x

4. October 9, 2016 / 9:26 pm

I honestly could read posts about New York everyday, I love hearing about this incredible city. I’m super jealous of anyone that has been and your tips about just walk the city and see it is so spot on. I think people can get so used to using public transport that they don’t see the beauty around them.

5. everinmay
    October 9, 2016 / 9:46 pm

I just love New York, the food, the history, the people, I could definitely see myself living there one day- I did the same as you and walked most of my visit and I felt much more connected to the city that way! Xx

6. October 10, 2016 / 8:30 am

I haven’t been to NYC since I was 16, but really want to go back now as an adult, it’s such an impressive city! The food and views really excite me!

7. Hannah Heartss ❄️⛄️
    October 10, 2016 / 9:42 am

I would love to go to New York, hopefully one day!

8. October 10, 2016 / 9:50 am

I fell in love with New York back when I was 16 and I’m still in love with the city today – 14 years later! x

9. October 10, 2016 / 10:33 am

New York is my favourite city in the world and somewhere I try and visit annually because I feel like I will never be able to run out of tings to do there.

10. Little Steps
    October 11, 2016 / 9:19 am

I so agree with you. I love New York, though I haven’t been back for ages. Must visit again soon with my husband and daughter in tow, especially since we do have family there 🙂

11. Lyndsey O'Halloran
    October 11, 2016 / 12:20 pm

We went last year and it was amazing!! I’d love to go back

12. Tanya Brannan
    October 11, 2016 / 5:46 pm

Wow! What an amazing post! The pictures just make me want to go there now! It is on my bucket list…… One Day!!

13. Yvonne
    October 11, 2016 / 9:10 pm

New York is one of my favourite places in the world, I have only been once and I would love to return, especially at christmas time x

14. October 11, 2016 / 10:01 pm

I really want to go to new York, my best friend went and it looked amazing! Your pictures just make me want to go so bad! Brunch sounds great!

Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk

15. October 11, 2016 / 10:07 pm

I would love to go to New York. The shopping, the art, the food and views what is not to love? x

16. Zena's Suitcase
    October 12, 2016 / 8:30 pm

I loved New York when I went. There is so much to see and walking around was amazing. We really enjoyed the bus tours too

17. Kacie
    October 13, 2016 / 6:10 pm

I went to New York a few years ago, and I wouldn’t hesitate to return! Such a vibrant place.

18. Karen Teresa Reekie
    October 14, 2016 / 3:56 pm

New York is one of my favourite places. I’ve promised my daughter I will take her there when she is older!

19. Beautyqueenuk
    October 14, 2016 / 6:26 pm

The skyline draws me in everytime and then you post pictures of food and I am dribbling down my keyboard wishing I was there x

20. Rachel George
    October 14, 2016 / 8:46 pm

I would so love to go to New York! My older son had the chance but didn’t want to go!!! So I will be reading him snippets of this in a moment. My chances of going myself are slim as flying with my little boy is not easy, especially not as he grows. SO I am keen to read more of your New York posts!

21. Esther Mukoro
    October 15, 2016 / 5:20 am

I love New
    York City. NY is one of my favourite cities after London. The skyline is amazing and the most important of all – shopping. I literally shop all day whilst in New York.

22. October 16, 2016 / 1:59 pm

Would love to go back here one day. I miss it so much!

Ashleigh

23. Kellie Kearney
    October 17, 2016 / 9:30 am

I’ve never been to NY and have wanted to for so long. All the shopping and sight seeing. LA and Vegas is fab and I’d go back in a heart beat!