How To Stay Healthy When You Have A Desk Job

notebook

So many of us work for long periods of time from a desk whether you have an office based job or work as a freelance from home, being stuck in one position for large portions of the day staring at a screen is not good for your health. Having worked in marketing for just over two years and three months being stuck in a desk from 9am-530pm (bar an hour for lunch) I know far too well the curses of being sat on your bottom all day. It isn’t all bad though there are plenty of things you can to ensure your body stays healthy.

Give your eyes a rest from your computer for 5 mins every hour

Looking at a screen constantly reading words and inputting data can put a huge strain on your sight, so much so that most companies give vouchers for free eye tests as so many people end up needing glasses for reading due to the strain their eyes are under from looking at the screen. Giving your eyes a 5-minute rest each hour from the glare of a computer screen can do them the world of good. Use this as a chance to get up and move (more on the next point), have a drink or write some notes on paper; anything to have a quick break.

Get up and move every hour

Sitting down all day every day can be very bad for your body and your posture as your body is used to moving during the day and using your muscles. Every hour (or as much as you can) try to get up from your seat be it to get a drink, go to the toilet, grab something from the photocopier or say hi to a colleague, any movement stimulates your muscles and gets them working. Use this as a chance to grab a quick screen break as well.

Take part in/ start office yoga

The Telegraph recently posted an article which reported that office workers only needed to exercise for an hour a day to avoid early death and this inspired a campaign launch for office yoga. With such busy lives, a lot of people put off exercise as they don’t have the time, face it who wants to wake up over an hour before they need to in the morning just to exercise?! I know I don’t! If you can eat at your desk while working your lunch break is the perfect time to exercise and is where office yoga was born. As yoga is less cardio-active you’re less likely to build up a huge sweat but you can still reap the benefits.

Make sure you have comfortable office furniture

It’s so important to have the right equipment in order to feel comfortable such as a chair which adjusts and can be put in a position where your arms can lie straight out in front of you. A desk which is wide enough so your arms can remain straight out from elbow to fingers when using your keyboard and monitor risers if you’re looking down too much when using your computer screen. If you work from home make sure you invest in quality office furniture such as office desks from furniture at work.

Do you work at a desk all day? Do you have any tips?

*This post is in collaboration with Furniture at Work but all opinions and tips are my own

October 19, 2016

• Reply Annie Brooks

I am just going back into full time employement, so this was the ideal post for me to read. Bookmarked for later references!

October 19, 2016 at 4:58 pm
  • Reply Tara | C&CO.

This is such a good post, this is what drove me mad at my office job!

October 19, 2016 at 8:16 pm
  • Reply bethany naismith

Honestly, I need to remind myself of these tips on a daily basis! I have great office furniture but sitting at a desk all day has definitely taken a toll on my health!

October 19, 2016 at 10:37 pm
  • Reply Joanne Mallon

I work at a desk but my FitBit reminds me to move if I haven’t done so for an hour. It buzzes at ten to the hour if I haven’t done 250 steps that hour, at which point I usually get up and make a cup of tea and shuffle about a bit when the kettle is boiling. It’s a very useful function, stops me from being hunched over a desk all day.

October 20, 2016 at 6:29 am
  • Reply LaaLaa

Such good tips. I remember when I did office work and the most activity I’d get is swinging on my chair and when I’d go out for Lunch but it’s important to keep moving and rest the eyes cos headaches and tiredness will lower any performance. x

October 20, 2016 at 7:27 am
  • Reply Sarah Bailey

These are some great sounding tips – I don’t work at an office, I can imagine it can be quite painful if you have to sit in the same position for a number of hours though. x

October 20, 2016 at 12:23 pm
  • Reply StressedMum

Luckily I have never had a job where I have been able to sit at a desk all day, I have worked in offices but always had to see customers or various other things. Now I work from home I just work where I put my laptop and then and up and down all the time. But some great tips here x

October 20, 2016 at 3:12 pm
  • Reply Stephanie Merry

Great tips. I have an office job and try to get up once an hour. I also find going to the gym before work helps to keep me healthy x

October 20, 2016 at 3:24 pm
  • Reply Milly

These are brilliant tips – I definitely try and get up and move about every hour, otherwise my eyes get so tired!

October 20, 2016 at 5:08 pm
  • Reply Ana De Jesus

My body is always in pain because I spend a lot of time standing for one job and for writing jobs behind a computer and it wreaks havoc on my joints. It is important to take breaks .

October 20, 2016 at 7:46 pm
  • Reply Anosa

I recently bought myself a desk at home so I could be as if I have not left my office. I love it but it can be hard staying active as when I am busy I forget about looking away for 5 minutes every hour

October 20, 2016 at 8:25 pm
  • Reply Baby Isabella

My mummy works compressed hours meaning that she works over 9hrs a day with 2 monitors, and then comes home and blogs! So she need to take regular screen breaks (she actually sets alarms to remind herself) Great tips!

October 20, 2016 at 10:06 pm
  • Reply Liz Mays

These are really good ideas. Some jobs pressure you to skip breaks or come back from lunch early but we can’t neglect our health. It’s good to fit some exercise in everyday.

October 20, 2016 at 11:06 pm
  • Reply Daniel Mosco

I something hate a desk job because you forget to get up and move around. Then you come home all lazy. A body at rest stays at rest.

October 21, 2016 at 2:56 am
  • Reply Jemma Andrew-Adiamah

Really great tips. I do spend a lot of time sitting at my desk so I make sure that I go for walks or workout for some activity.

October 21, 2016 at 8:13 am
  • Reply Hannah Heartss ❄️⛄️

So many good tips that I need to try! I feel like I never move some days x

October 21, 2016 at 9:59 am
  • Reply Kathryn

Thank you for these fab tips I have an office job xx

October 21, 2016 at 8:06 pm
  • Reply Harriet @ Toby&Roo

Such a great post – I couldn’t agree more about the office furniture, my back is so much better for it!

October 21, 2016 at 8:06 pm
  • Reply Helen Clark

This is a great post. I’ve got an office job and always make sure I get up and have a little walk around the office and a good stretch every hour

October 21, 2016 at 8:50 pm
  • Reply Jodie Whitham

Great ideas to show even lazy folk that there are no excuses! x

October 21, 2016 at 9:19 pm
  • Reply Hungry_Healthy_Happy

Getting up and moving around every 15-20 minutes really helped me to stay active when in an office.

October 22, 2016 at 7:22 am
  • Reply Claire @ Country Mouse Claire

Great tips! When I have a long day at my desk I work for 45-50 minutes then take a little walk in the house – I go grab a coffee, check in with the cats, do five minutes tidying. It really helps with my activity levels and I think it makes me feel brighter and more attentive when I am working!

October 22, 2016 at 7:24 am
  • Reply Francesca Nelson

Oh I love this!! I hear all the time from my mates who do office work that they need to eat less and move more but its tricky in their jobs! I’ll direct them here!

October 22, 2016 at 9:05 am
  • Reply clairecly

These are fantastic tips for those who work in an office and need to move more 🙂

October 22, 2016 at 11:17 am
  • Reply Things Sarah Loves

Comfortable furniture is definitely a must. I always try and get up and down as much as I can to walk.

October 22, 2016 at 12:36 pm
  • Reply Melanie Edjourian

Brilliant post and something I really need to take note of as I am at my computer for hours daily.

October 22, 2016 at 1:29 pm
  • Reply Zoë IKIWN

I haven’t been stuck in at a desk job for a while and I am so, so grateful for that now. I used to find getting away from the desk for at least 5 mins every hour to be the biggest help for me. x

October 22, 2016 at 5:20 pm
  • Reply Kira L Curtis

Before I moved to uni, I was pretty much sitting at my desk all day working on blog stuff but luckily now I’m moving around a lot more. But I definitely think office yoga is such a good thing. Simply to keep yourself moving and stretching will help 🙂

October 22, 2016 at 10:58 pm
  • Reply Sally Akins

These are great tips – I spend hours at my computer and have to remind myself to get up and move around every so often! I’m really interested in standing desks as well

October 23, 2016 at 3:16 am
  • Reply fashion-mommy

I work from home so find I have all the same problems, I at least get long walks on the school run.

October 23, 2016 at 5:07 pm
  • Reply The London Mum

Great tips. I work from home and always have to make sure I follow these tips.

October 24, 2016 at 11:20 am