Creating My First Mac Customized Eyeshadow Palette

Mac Compact

The last few times I’ve been to the States I have completely forgotten to look at the customized eyeshadow palette inserts so when I made a recent US order to try mail forwarding I thought I better give them a go. The eyeshadow inserts work out at just $6 in the US compared to around £10 in the UK which is a HUGE difference. Having seen a few brands doing these customizable eyeshadow palettes’ I thought the Mac one seemed a steal for the high-end products.

One of the biggest mistakes I made was not popping into a store in the UK to swatch shades before making a decision as to what to purchase. Because of this I spent ages looking up customized eyeshadow palette swatches and this meant I stuck to very safe shades and yes they’re all neutral/ brown. These are the type of colours which I use a lot of so I know they’ll get a good deal of usage.

Mac Customisable Palette

Although I could have purchased most of the shades I decided to limit myself to six which were Sable, Mythology, Bronze, Woodwinked, Antiques and Saddle (Top left to bottom right in the image). Alongside the customized eyeshadow palette inserts I obviously needed the case and an insert. Instead of buying a six slot one and then having to create a second one as soon as I bought any more I opted for nine which gives me three spaces for future purchases.

I’ve managed to have a bit of a play around with the shades and they’re all good quality for shadows which work out just under £5 but I don’t think I’d spend double that on them over here as they’re not a huge deal better than other branded shadows you can get for a more competitive price. That being said the pans are a decent size, and there was minimal fall out when using, even with the slightly shimmery shade.

Have you got a Mac customized eyeshadow palette?
November 10, 2016

• Reply Leah Shafik

I don’t have the customisable MAC as I find I enjoy Makeup Geek more and the magnetic palettes but I do have the pre-made palette – warm neutral and I really really like it x

November 11, 2016 at 1:57 am
  • Reply Vicky Hallnewman

I have never tried MAC products before, but these eyeshadows look lovely. I do like customised cosmetic pallates though

November 11, 2016 at 7:36 am
  • Reply LaaLaa

I use Z palettes but they’re over expensive for what they are. I think I need to get some of these as I get a % so it’s worth it as I’ve got more loose e/s than I’d like to count right now.

These shades take me back when blogging was first starting these were THE shades to always have!! xo

November 11, 2016 at 8:32 am
  • Reply Stella Kashmoney

Yes I have 2 in my make up bag. Love them.

November 11, 2016 at 9:09 am
  • Reply Jo Wiggins

What a great idea. I adore MAC make up, I spend a fortune on it x

November 11, 2016 at 9:59 am
  • Reply Milly

I haven’t actually tried any MAC shadows but love some of their other products – neutral and brown tones are a great shout for guaranteed everyday wear!

November 11, 2016 at 2:23 pm
  • Reply Galina V

Beautiful palette, these are the kinds of shades I’d be happy to wear.

November 11, 2016 at 4:36 pm
  • Reply Alana

I’ve got a Mac customisable palette from years ago that I really need to refill! It’s a great addition to your makeup bag.
    Alana x

November 11, 2016 at 7:34 pm
  • Reply Sarah Bailey

I’ve always fancied making one of these myself but never got around to actually putting one together, love the colours you have so far.

November 11, 2016 at 8:51 pm
  • Reply Kathryn

I have never done this, but I think it is such a good idea, I love your choices xx

November 11, 2016 at 10:03 pm
  • Reply Elizabeth

I do love those shades! What a great idea, to have a customisable palette. That would certainly save extra unused ones getting chucked out!

November 12, 2016 at 8:31 am
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

That’s what I thought, there always tends to be one or two unused shades in a palette x

November 13, 2016 at 8:07 pm
  • Reply Melanie Edjourian

Great selection of shades. I love that you can customise the palette to suit your taste.

November 12, 2016 at 10:06 am
  • Reply Ayesha Farhad

i always end up spending a fortune at mac and never knew that these could be so cheap! I am not a major fan of eye shadows but this seems so doable to have the colours to your liking!

November 12, 2016 at 1:58 pm
  • Reply Colette B

I’ve never really looked at the customisable palettes but the idea really appeals to me – I’m a big fan of MAC on the whole but tend not to by palettes from anywhere for fear of ending up with colours I don’t use so being able to choose is a great idea.

November 12, 2016 at 7:53 pm
  • Reply Hannah Heartss ❄️⛄️

Oooo I liked the shadows you went for, they are the ones I like to wear! .

November 13, 2016 at 11:15 am
  • Reply Anosa

I was just talking to myself whilst in Venice about customised palettes even though I decided not to buy in the end. I do love mac and these are lovely colours

November 14, 2016 at 4:30 am
  • Reply Jemma Andrew-Adiamah

I love the fact that you can customise it yourself. Sometimes I find there are some colours that I don’t use in palettes.

November 14, 2016 at 6:34 am
  • Reply Stephanie Merry

I don’t have a MAC customised palette but I’ve been thinking of doing one for a while – the shades you’ve picked are gorgeous! x

November 14, 2016 at 9:46 am
  • Reply Francesca Nelson

I love the shades you have chosen, the ones with shimmer look amazing and bet they look incred on!

November 14, 2016 at 9:46 am
  • Reply Nicol Wong

i did my first customisable mac palette around 2 years ago. haven’t made one since then due to all of the other beautiful palettes that are currently out there

November 14, 2016 at 11:21 am
  • Reply North East Family Fun

LOVE the idea of designing your own palette as there are always shades you don’t like in regular palettes aren’t there x

November 18, 2016 at 5:32 pm
  • Reply Sarah | LavenderLife

I had no idea it was possible to design your own palette! Must try that sometime. The colors you picked are beautiful <3

November 18, 2016 at 10:59 pm
  • Reply Leah Shafik

Great choices – I have makeup geek shadows as single eyeshadows but I have the Mac Warm Neutrals palette which I think is similar to your customised one and I love it x

November 18, 2016 at 11:05 pm
  • Reply Gem

This looks lovely – I’d have gone for safe shades like this too! It’s crazy how much cheaper these are in the US!

November 19, 2016 at 9:51 pm
  • Reply Viki Marden

This sounds like a great idea, there are always ones that never get used on my palletes x

November 19, 2016 at 10:42 pm
  • Reply sarah Lea

What a fabulous idea! I’d love to create my own pallet to suit me! The Woodwinked MAC shade is so pretty – They all are but that shade is my favourite 😀 xx

November 20, 2016 at 12:53 pm
  • Reply Purely Amy

How much was your customised pallet as a set? £30? X I use a lot of neutrals too as I have a warm tone to my skin. I love shimmers in winter do I’ll have to look for those in my pallet! 🙂

November 21, 2016 at 2:48 pm
  • Reply Jenni Grainger

Love this idea of being able to pick what you want x

November 25, 2016 at 10:48 am
  • Reply Jazmin Williams

Oh wow, these are some gorgeous colours – you seem to have the same ideas as me! I don’t have a MAC one but I have a MakeUp Geek one and people are debating on the MakeUp Geek shades to be on the same level of MAC quality 🙂

November 25, 2016 at 9:22 pm
  • Reply Beautyqueenuk

I still haven’t done this yet! I am such a bad beauty blogger lol. I will start one, one day x

November 28, 2016 at 4:11 pm
  • Reply Hannah Latoya Bond

This is one of the things I like about MAC. They offer shadows in regular and refillable format. I have two large palettes from MAC that I fill with their shadows. It’s great for carrying around with you. I also have the customizable blusher ones too. You did a good job of co-ordinating the colors too x

January 18, 2017 at 11:41 am