Getting Christmassy With 12 Hours In Copenhagen

Myself and my friend fell in love with Copenhagen when we visited last October especially with Tivoli which is an amusement park with plenty more than just rides. When we went last year it was completely dressed up for Halloween and it looked incredible, and for ages we said we’d love to come back for Christmas. Now at the beginning of the year I set myself the challenge of going out of England every month so when I was thinking of November I knew it needed to be a short trip as I was low on time which meant a repeat trip somewhere I’d already been (I don’t like going to new places when there’s less than 3 days ideally). After checking flights I saw we could go to Copenhagen for a single day cutting out accommodation costs so that’s what we did.

Copenhagen 6

Copenhagen 1

Copenhagen 2

Copenhagen

Rocking up to Luton airport at 530am we had a flight at 730 with Easyjet which got us into Copenhagen at 10am local time (they’re an hour in front). The good thing about me having been twice before we knew our way around and the airport is a quick 25 mins into the city. After a quick run into some shops (including Sephora for me, oops), we walked along the main shopping street and stumbled across a Christmas market which just made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. There were huge trees, sleighs, stalls selling bratwursts, mulled cider and homemade decorations and it just felt like being in Winter Wonderland it was amazing.

After a little wander we carried on to Tivoli which was the main reason for our trip and it lived up to every expectation. When we first headed in it was light but I don’t think I have felt more Christmassy. There were snow sprinkled tree’s everywhere, lights scattered in trees, wreaths, snowmen and everything which can be associated with Christmas. We got the unlimited ride tickets so spent time between gawping at pretty displays to jump onto some awesome rollercoasters and rides. I still find it odd how much in the city centre this is, you can literally watch the traffic in the middle of town when you’re at the top of rides.

Tivoli 16

Tivoli 15

Tivoli 13

Tivoli 10

Tivoli 9

Tivoli 8

Tivoli 7

Tivoli 6

Around 4pm the sun started to go down and all of sudden we got off a ride and it was dark and this was when it looked even more epic. There were lights everywhere, and it’s so hard to describe how awesome it looked that my photos are going to have to do most of the talking because some on it’s stunning, like winter wonderland x 10! After another hour or so we decided to head for dinner. We had wanted to go to our favorite burger place (genuinely the best burger I’ve ever eaten) but they had kitchen issues so weren’t serving food *cries* so we just headed to Hard Rock as it was quick and easy.

Tivoli

Tivoli 12

Tivoli 11

Tivoli 2

Tivoli 5

Tivoli 4

Tivoli 1

By this point it was time to head back to Copenhagen airport for our 10pm Ryanair flight home via a nice long walk up the lit up streets of Copenhagen. I might have got back home feeling mentally knackered having been up for 21 hours but my day was epic and Copenhagen is still one of my favourite cities.

Has anything made you feel super Christmassy yet?
November 30, 2016

• Reply Jazmin Williams

This sounds SO incredible and I love the pics! I think Yankee Candles have been making me feel Christmassy as well as Blogmas planning 🙂 x

December 1, 2016 at 12:46 am
  • Reply Jollies and Jaunts

Copenhagen is one of my favourite places and I absolutely adore Tivoli – I’ve only ever been in spring and autumn but would love to see it in winter too; it looks glorious!

December 1, 2016 at 9:14 am
  • Reply LaaLaa

Stunning and such beautiful photographs, I could see why you’d want to go back at Christmas x

December 1, 2016 at 9:46 am
  • Reply Martina Williams

I did the same thing as you, spent 24 hours in Copenhagen without sleeping. I didn’t go in the Christmas season though. Your photos look like Tivoli transformed into a proper Christmas paradise. So pretty!

December 1, 2016 at 4:22 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

Copenhagen is an easy city you can do that in. You should definitely go back around Christmas as it’s so magical x

December 2, 2016 at 10:30 am
  • Reply Ana De Jesus

Even though you might have been tired I think that is an absolutely spellbinding once in a lifetime experience. I would love to go to Copenhagen.

December 1, 2016 at 6:33 pm
  • Reply Elodie

I went to Copenhagen a couple of months ago and loved it! I would definitely love to go back – especially at Christmas!

I’m heading back to London after working on the French Riviera for a little while, so that’s a good way to feel Christmassy. As much as I love the South of France, there is nothing festive about fairy lights in palm trees. Ha!

– Elodie x

December 1, 2016 at 7:24 pm
  • Reply Jo Wiggins

This has definitely helped get me into the Christmas spirit. I love Christmas markets. I have never even thought about going on a day trip to a city like this, great way to cut out the hotel costs x

December 1, 2016 at 7:34 pm
  • Reply Jodie Whitham

Wow some fab pictures! They really get youinto the festive spirit. Really keen to go to some christmas markets. Copenhagen is another place I really want to visit! Hope it was fun 🙂

December 1, 2016 at 8:53 pm
  • Reply Nicol Wong

it’s still somewhere i would love to visit. its beautiful in both day and night

December 1, 2016 at 9:22 pm
  • Reply Amelia Larsen

I’d love to visit Copenhagen, definitely want to visit next year!

December 1, 2016 at 9:47 pm
  • Reply Dena Jayne

Such fab photos! I love the christmas tree in first photo! Hope you had fun! xo

December 1, 2016 at 9:48 pm
  • Reply mummyslittlemonkey

I’m SUCH a sucker for Christmas-y scenes – this would be my idea of absolute heaven! x

December 1, 2016 at 10:16 pm
  • Reply Melanie Edjourian

Oh wow that looks fantastic and very Christmassy I love the photos. I was in central London and the shop windows were very Christmassy there.

December 1, 2016 at 10:39 pm
  • Reply Hungry_Healthy_Happy

I have only ever been in the summer, but I would love to go back st Christmas time – it just looks magical.

December 2, 2016 at 9:26 am
  • Reply Lubka Henry

Traveling through Europe at this time of the year is a real experience! Wonderful photos 🙂

December 2, 2016 at 10:33 am
  • Reply Melissa Zia

I have never been here before but wow what a beautiful place for Christmas! I need to visit one day

December 2, 2016 at 8:00 pm
  • Reply Beautyqueenuk

It look just totally beautiful and so festive with all of those lights x

December 2, 2016 at 9:56 pm
  • Reply Savi and Vid

Great post Rhian – I’ve never been to Copenhagen during winter months – it looks so amazing. Will definitely plan a trip soon 🙂

December 3, 2016 at 5:57 am
  • Reply The London Mum

I love Copenhagen. I lived there for a few years when I was younger and tivoli was my favourite place.

December 3, 2016 at 6:26 pm
  • Reply Georgia C

Oh my Copenhagen looks so amazing this time of year! I’ve never been so would obviously be need more then a day but what a lovely day trip and well worth the 21 hours awake! These photos opitomise Christmas for me! Northern Europe know how to do festivities!

December 3, 2016 at 8:46 pm
  • Reply Aziel Morte

Wow, looks an amazing place and looks so magical I want to go there

December 5, 2016 at 3:08 am
  • Reply Amy

Just reading this post has made me feel so Christmassy and festive! It looks lovely – I’ve always wanted to visit Copenhagen x

December 5, 2016 at 11:26 am
  • Reply Jemma Andrew-Adiamah

I would love 12 hours in Copenhagen. It looks so festive.

December 6, 2016 at 2:24 pm
  • Reply Paula

Love that you decided to go out of UK every month! Traveling it’s such an amazing thing :). I’ve been in Copenhagen just for work and I have now idea how the city looks like, but everyone thinks is amazing!! and after reading your post maybe I should do around Christmas!

December 6, 2016 at 7:05 pm
  • Reply Charli Russon

Oh this looks lovely! I would love to go to Copenhagen next year although had originally thought about going in spring – you may have changed my mind!

C xx