Easy Ways To Put Your Own Stamp On Your Kitchen

One of the things I love most about having my own flat is actually the kitchen despite the fact that I don’t spend anywhere near as much time in here as I’d like to. When you’re living at home or sharing with other people usually your bedroom is where you want to spend the most amount of money doing up/ buying accessories for as it’s the only space which is truly yours. That’s one of the things I love most about living by myself, I can pretty much (money permitting) do anything I want with the space’s I have and I don’t have to discuss it with anyone other than my dad who’s likely to be doing the work. I am quite fortunate that I have an open plan living and kitchen area which means even if I am not cooking I can always see how my kitchen looks. It also means I can have quality solid dining tables in the same room as my living area meaning on the rare occasions when I entertain everyone is in a communal space.

Here are some of the ways to put your own stamp on your kitchen.

Add or change lighting

For me a kitchen should always be pretty light, especially when you’re cooking so a quick way to change up your kitxhen is to change the lighting you have. Fortunately, my kitchen has pretty great lighting with spotlights in the ceiling along with spot lights under all the cabinets but you can change up wall lights easily, and cheaply and you’ll be surprised how much of a difference it can make to your space, especially if you’re a fan of taking photos of your food before eating it, I’m usually too hungry for that.

Change your worktops

I am pretty sure that the worktops used within my flat are the cheapest of the cheap so I’d love to change my worktops in the future. While a marble look is the bloggers dream I don’t think it would be overly practical so I’d love solid walnut worktops as I think they’d add a good colour contrast between the light walls and exterior of my flat and darker worktops. Worktops can be a big investment but they’re something you’re only likely to change once and will last the duration of the time you’re in your property.

Cupboards

Make the most of your cupboard space

It doesn’t matter how many cupboards I have it will never be enough so utilizing the space you have is essential. You can opt for cutlery dividers so you’re never hunting around for that sole knife in a drawer of forks, you can add over shelf hanging drawers to store things like tea towels and oven gloves or buy some metal storage tins to separate out food packets and keep them looking neat and tidy.

Add a tiled background

One of the first things I did in my kitchen was to get some tiles added behind my workspace as I wanted a pop of colour in an otherwise white room, I’m talking walls and the doors on all my cupboards and appliances. Not only can tiles add a splash of colour but they also act as a nice protector when you’re cooking and cleaning. I have a larger row of them behind my sink where there are no cupboards above and it works as a splash back. This is definitely one of the best investments I have made in my whole flat since moving in.

Cover and use the space above your hob

During the first year being in my flat my brand new hob got a little damaged due to it not being cleaned between uses’ when my flatmate was there and sadly it’s been very hard to do anything about. I have hob covers on my electric rings which make them look a bit smarter and I also have a stand to put over my hob which gives me more workspace.

*This post is in collaboration with Worktop Express but all thoughts and opinions are my own

December 2, 2016

• Reply LaaLaa

We have a kitchenette so you can’t even swing a cat in it but it’s all about storage and I agree that changing up work surfaces can be a small but big change. x

December 6, 2016 at 12:41 pm
  • Reply Sarah Bailey

Yes, being able to do anything you want know that you have your own kitchen has to be a small bit of heaven for you. I think sharing a kitchen is always the hardest part of living with others.

December 6, 2016 at 3:15 pm
  • Reply StressedMum

I always have kitchen envy, whenever I am in someone elses I see something I want but I do love my kitchen x

December 6, 2016 at 3:48 pm
  • Reply Nicola

This post has perfect timing! I should be moving into my first owned property next month and me and my boyfriend are really excited to completely redo the kitchen and the bathroom!

December 6, 2016 at 4:00 pm
  • Reply Elodie

I don’t have my own place yet – oh, the joys of sharing a flat in London -, but I’d love to use those tips someday! I can already see the marble-looking granite and the chevron tiles. It’d be so, so cute!

December 6, 2016 at 4:18 pm
  • Reply Natasha Mairs

Love your kitchen!! I am planning on decorating mine next year, focusing on red, grey and black. Thanks for the tips

December 6, 2016 at 6:11 pm
  • Reply Emma White

I have a huge kitchen and its the hub of the house, everyone congregates in there and its my favourite room in the house although more lighting would be good as its a darkish room due to the way the house is built

December 6, 2016 at 7:35 pm
  • Reply Charli B

This is perfect timing for me as my kitchen is next on the list for decorating and I have been attempting to figure out how to utilise the space best xx

December 6, 2016 at 9:53 pm
  • Reply Nayna Kanabar

I love spending time in my kitchen its the most used room in my house so like you said I love having it cosy and with lots of storage space.

December 6, 2016 at 10:08 pm
  • Reply Milly

I love having my own kitchen – well, it’s shared with my boyfriend and rented, but so much nicer than the ones in my old shared flats! Storage space is definitely a problem for us – but there are so many quirky ideas for making the most of it.

December 6, 2016 at 10:24 pm
  • Reply Stephanie Merry

I have to say the kitchen is probably where I spend most of my time and I love making it look and feel homely x

December 7, 2016 at 9:51 am
  • Reply Ana De Jesus

I like the idea of utilizing your cupboard space. A cupboard divider is just what I need right now.

December 7, 2016 at 10:35 am
  • Reply Beautyqueenuk

My kitchen just needs gutting and re-doing to be honest. I definitely need new cupboard doors x

December 7, 2016 at 11:59 am
  • Reply Martina Williams

I had no idea that there were hob covers. That would me so much helpful in my kitchen, as I always tend to leave pots on the hob from the lack of space and it gets scratched.

December 7, 2016 at 2:26 pm
  • Reply Elizabeth @ Rosalilium

I’m hoping to get out kitchen re-tiled soon to add some lightness to the room.

December 7, 2016 at 4:17 pm
  • Reply Melanie Edjourian

I like lots of lighting when I am cooking and more so when I design cakes. I had my husband change our lights recently for brighter ones as it really does help when I take photos of food. Making most of cupboard space is also very important, I never seem to have enough.

December 7, 2016 at 4:22 pm
  • Reply Anosa

I can’t do much in my apartment since I am renting but I would welcome the chance to change the work top

December 7, 2016 at 5:29 pm
  • Reply Harriet @ Toby&Roo

I love these – I change the small things in my kitchen on a regular basis and it really makes a difference!

December 7, 2016 at 7:56 pm
  • Reply Rachel Nicole

I love buying little things for the kitchen, i love the red accents in your kitchen! xo

December 7, 2016 at 9:10 pm
  • Reply fashion-mommy

Using lovely tiles for a splashback, and changing the lighting can make all the difference.

December 7, 2016 at 10:46 pm
  • Reply Tanya Brannan

My kitchen needs a serious overhaul – plaster pulling off, floor re-screeding etc. But until the money tree sends me lots of money, I will be following a few of these tips to make it more liveable. Thank you xx

December 8, 2016 at 11:02 am
  • Reply bericebaby

You have just made me search for a cupboard hanging shelf and now want to spend a small fortune in Lakeland doing up the kitchen LOL
    I do really love blog posts like this.
    Thanks for the ideas hun
    Charlotte

December 8, 2016 at 11:29 am
  • Reply Laura Hartley

I like having spotlights in the kitchen too as it is a really great light from straight above. Never thought of wall lights before but that would be an interesting feature!

December 8, 2016 at 12:45 pm
  • Reply beautykinguk

A spot of colour can really change a room. The in-laws have added red tiles to their kitchen which sounds rank, but when you see it, it really does open the whole room up.

December 8, 2016 at 8:38 pm
  • Reply Angela Milnes

What a neat set up, me and my hubby would love to add more things on kitchen

December 9, 2016 at 6:43 pm
  • Reply Leah Shafik

I love these ideas. We have earthy tones in our kitchen with splashes of pastel colours. x

December 9, 2016 at 11:11 pm
  • Reply Amy

Great tips! At the moment I am just a student renting for 10 months so can’t do much to my kitchen but I think adding a pop of colour can really transform a room! x

December 11, 2016 at 12:46 pm
  • Reply Louise Smith

These are such great tips Rhian 🙂 When we were renting we tried to put our own stamp on the place by changing the light shades and adding some personal items so it was more ‘ours’

Louise x

December 11, 2016 at 9:15 pm
  • Reply Savi and Vid

Great tips Rhian – lighting can really make or break a room, especially a kitchen 🙂

December 12, 2016 at 3:41 am