Final Live Shows Of 2016

Final Live Shows Of 2016

2016 was a pretty good year for live music and saw me see such a collection of bands across shows’ and festivals’ but it did see me be more selective over what I did see. December saw me at three live shows within about 6 days and it was a great way to see out the year.

On Tuesday 6th December I managed to get last minute tickets to see Red Hot Chili Peppers who are certainly one of my favourite bands and I managed to take along someone special who hadn’t been to a live show for about four years! While the show itself was amazing, the band were so good and the lighting and staging was incredible I was disappointed with the setlist. They played a show the night before and having looked at the setlist before going in I got super excited but sadly the days were totally different and they omitted a lot of the bigger tracks in favour of quirkier and newer ones which meant No ‘Californication’, No ‘Under The Bridge‘, No ‘Dani California’ and No ‘Can’t Stop’.

On Thursday 8th December I headed back to the O2 Arena to see another of my favourite bands, Biffy Clyro. This is a band who have headlined so many festivals over the years’ and know exactly how to create an experience as opposed to just a show. Everything was perfect from the staging to the setlist and I never ever get sick of seeing the band. The newer material sounded great and the singalongs to tracks like ‘Machines’ and ‘Many of Horror’ were incredible within the area.

My week ended with a special nostalgic show on Saturday 10th December courtesy of Bullet for my Valentine. The band played their debut album ‘The Poison’ in full and I have to admit it was pretty special. ‘4 Words to Choke Upon’ and ‘Tears Don’t Fall’ are still two of my all-time favourite tracks of theirs and to hear some of the lesser known tracks was amazing. I love it when bands do album shows and more unusual things because it makes the show’s really unique.

Do you have any live shows planned for 2016?

1. January 5, 2017 / 10:10 am

I love the Red Hot Chili Peppers but I’d be pretty disappointing if they didn’t play those songs – they’re some of my favourites! I’ve seen them before and felt their show was a little self-indulgent in that it was more for them than the crowd x

2. Hungry_Healthy_Happy
    January 5, 2017 / 11:22 am

You really did have a great year for live music. I would so love to see Biffy.

3. January 5, 2017 / 2:28 pm

I love that you were able to see so many live shows! I headed to Glasto which was probably the only time I saw anything live! I really do need to go to more gigs!

• January 5, 2017 / 5:16 pm

You were at Glastonbury last year? Me too! What were your highlights? x

4. Elodie
    January 5, 2017 / 3:10 pm

You saw so many live shows! I only have a few lined up for next year, all pretty small but I’m also secretly hoping to see Justin Bieber and Stevie Nicks play Hyde Park this summer. Hey, what can I say, my music tastes are pretty eclectic. Ha!

5. Julie Porter
    January 5, 2017 / 6:06 pm

I haven’t been to a live show in so long. I would have loved to have seen the Red Hot Chili Peppers! You have such a great social life, always out doing such fun things x

6. January 5, 2017 / 6:09 pm

I haven’t been to a live show in so long. I would have loved to have seen the Red Hot Chili Peppers! You had such a great year seeing so many shows x

7. January 5, 2017 / 6:42 pm

I hate it when you go to see bands and they miss out some of the big numbers! Hope it didnt spoil it too much for you x

8. Jo Wiggins
    January 5, 2017 / 7:32 pm

I love Biffy Clyro. You’ve seen some amazing people in 2016. I never saw one live show last year unfortunately x

9. Hannah Latoya Bond
    January 5, 2017 / 7:44 pm

In 2016 I saw Ellie Goulding, Mariah Carey and Kylie Minogue x

10. January 5, 2017 / 9:51 pm

What??!!! Are you serious, I can’t believe they didn’t play Californication that is an absolute classic, such a shame!

11. January 5, 2017 / 10:05 pm

No ‘Under the bridge”Californication’?! The only ones I know! Don’t know where you get your energy from – A live show takes me ages to recover from. Always has.

12. Melanie Edjourian
    January 5, 2017 / 10:23 pm

Wow last minute tickets to Red Hot Chili Peppers, how lucky were you? You managed to see loads of bands last year hopefully this year will be just as good for you 😉

13. Leah Shafik
    January 5, 2017 / 10:58 pm

I love reading about your gigs. I used to go to so many but haven’t in a while. I have to admit though that I do miss live music. I have a goal to discover a new artist this year and go and see them. x

14. Baby Isabella
    January 6, 2017 / 10:15 am

We haven’t got any gigs booked so far but a couple of festivals in the pipeline hopefully. Cant wait to see who you see next!

15. Harriet @ Toby&Roo
    January 6, 2017 / 11:37 am

I have no gigs booked this year for music, but I will be going to see Russell Howard live in Feb! I can’t wait!

16. Dena Jayne
    January 6, 2017 / 1:39 pm

I’m not really a gig person! You saw so many last year though! Lucky girl xo

17. Louise
    January 6, 2017 / 2:27 pm

No shows planned for this year yet, except festivals such as Slam Dunk and Download! I’d love to see Biffy Clyro though! x

18. Sarah D
    January 6, 2017 / 7:31 pm

I’ve not been to a live concert for ages. My fave ones are always in tiny places – feels so much better to be closer to performance x

19. Hayley
    January 6, 2017 / 9:18 pm

I saw Biffy Clyro too! It was definitely the highlight of my year, especially as I’d never seen Brand New before.

I’ve got a few gigs coming up; Conor Oberst, Band of Horses, Creeper and Robbie Williams so far!

20. January 6, 2017 / 9:46 pm

Red hot chilli peppers are amazing, I still listen to their music every now and again.
    No live shows for me planned but hopefully

21. Jodie Whitham
    January 6, 2017 / 10:15 pm

I plan on going to more live shows as only saw one this year and love gigs. Any recommendations? Not seen any i fancy yet! x

22. Francesca Nelson
    January 7, 2017 / 4:32 pm

I would have been so stoked for red hot chilli peppers but not doing some of their most classic numbers is really really disappointing!

23. January 7, 2017 / 5:48 pm

You have seen some amazing bands over the past year, and I would have thought that RHCP would have been one of the best?!?! I can’t believe the didn’t do Under the Bridge… that is just bizarre!

24. Velondonista
    January 7, 2017 / 6:04 pm

thats so many great bands in a space of a week that you got to see! lucky lady – all great bands too
    Jb // xx

25. January 7, 2017 / 8:10 pm

so sad how the red hot chilli peppers had omitted the classics. nevertheless, it was awesome how you got the tickets last min

26. January 9, 2017 / 1:47 pm

Those sound like some good gigs! How disappointing that the RHCP didn’t play some of their best songs.

27. Hayley
    January 9, 2017 / 7:30 pm

I saw Biffy Clyro as well! Best gig of the year, mostly because I got to see Brand New for the first time as well!

This year I am seeing (so far) Conor Oberst, Band of Horses, Creeper and Robbie Williams.

28. Kira L Curtis
    January 10, 2017 / 8:53 pm

I don’t really get to see that many but I was amazed that 2016 was the best year I’ve had, nothing in compared to yours though!