Stand Up Comedy Is Good For The Mind

stand up camden

I love stand up comedy and every time I go to a show I tell myself I should go to more, be it an improv night, an arena show with my favourite comedian or a low key show with some funny people I’ve never heard of. After a fun trip to the Comedy Store before Christmas, I got an email from the team at Stand Up Camden – who are a brand new comedy event in Camden Town – and they invited me down to their January show which happened last Friday.

Located just over ten minutes walk from Camden Town’s tube station the event took place at the London Irish Club which we only really found due to Google Maps, thank god for technology. The venue also hosts the Camden Comedy Festival, Edinburgh Fringe Previews and shows by bigger named acts trying out their tour material. After a short sit in the venue we were invited into the comedy room which in all honesty reminded me of a School hall.

When I first saw the list of performers I had little idea what to expect as I hadn’t heard of most of them although between the MC and three comedians they’ve been on Russell Howards Good News, supported one of my favourite comedians Stephan Merchant and played numerous shows during the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

The night was formatted with three comedian slots – each with a ten-minute break between to allow people to grab a drink, head to the loo etc, and before and after each act was a bit from MC of the evening Andrew Ryan. Now Ryan for me was the best comedian of the whole night and definitely someone I’d head to go and see again and he was sandwiched between three others. Scottish Stephen Carlin began the night. Stephen’s set was scatted with laughter and provided a great beginning to the evening.

Next up was a comedian I was quite intrigued about after watching some YouTube clips and it was French comedian Marcel Lucont, it definitely was an international affair. In typical French fashion he entered the stage barefoot with a glass of red wine in his hand. His softly spoken voice and dry wit had me cracking up and it was a thoroughly enjoyable half an hour, complete with some sex poetry.

The night finished with Markus Birdman who was rude, cynical, loud and witty, an amazing combination and an incredibly clever comedian. Considering how cheap the tickets themselves were – under £10 – it was great value for an evening and in a world where everything is so serious it’s always good for the soul to have a laugh. You can check out what’s on at Stand Up Camden here.

Have you ever been to a comedy show before?

*I was given two tickets to attend Stand Up Camden but all thoughts and opinions are my own

January 11, 2017

• Reply Jodie Whitham

I’ve seen Alan Carr and John Bishop live, gone to amateur comedy night things and also enjoyed some comedians at Rock Ness one year! Hopefully see more, such a good night’s fun x

January 11, 2017 at 10:28 pm
  • Reply Hannah Latoya Bond

I’ve seen Russell Howard and Jethro a few times live, I haven’t been to a comedy club x

January 12, 2017 at 11:14 am
  • Reply Stephanie Merry

I love going to comedy shows and have been quite a few times to the Comedy Store in London and also the fringe in Edinburgh. I’ll have to check this out x

January 12, 2017 at 11:20 am
  • Reply Hannah Bailey-Churcher

I LOVE comedy nights, both local and bigger scale! My favourites I’ve seen live are Sean Locke and Micky Flanagan! xo

January 12, 2017 at 11:22 am
  • Reply Ana De Jesus

I love stand up comedy so glad you had a good time. My favorites are Jack Whitehall, Micheal Macintyre, Keith Lemon and Russel Howard .

January 12, 2017 at 2:21 pm
  • Reply Sarah Bailey

I love comedy shows and I think they are always a good pick-me-up. You always feel better after having some laughs. I’m so glad you had a good time, this sounds like a great event.

January 12, 2017 at 8:12 pm
  • Reply Emma White

I have never been to a comedy show but I agree it would be great to go at least to someone funny as laughing is good for the soul and we all need to do more of it

January 12, 2017 at 8:43 pm
  • Reply Jazmin Williams

Never been to a comedy show before, but I absolutely love Lee Evans. I waited my whole teen life to be old enough to go to one of his shows and then as soon I was old enough, he sold out before I could get tickets and then retired! But I always watch his DVDs with my family, he’s the centre of our sense of humour.

January 13, 2017 at 9:34 am
  • Reply Harriet @ Toby&Roo

I love stand up comedy! I’m going to see Russel Howard in a few weeks and I can’t wait! H x

January 13, 2017 at 10:10 am
  • Reply Beautyqueenuk

I love a good Comedy night and this sounds really good to me, its been ages since ive seen one live x

January 13, 2017 at 10:18 am
  • Reply Charlotte

We used to go to the Comedy Club regularly. I love comedy nights! Makes an evening much more fun!

January 13, 2017 at 4:46 pm
  • Reply Melanie Edjourian

I haven’t been to a stand up comedy show before but have friends that have and had a great evening out. It does sound like fun.

January 13, 2017 at 6:53 pm
  • Reply Kira L Curtis

I don’t think I have ever actually been to a proper stand up show before! I would really love to, especially if it was to see one of my favourite comedians!

January 13, 2017 at 10:43 pm
  • Reply Anosa

Sounds like such an amazing night, from your description I feel like I was there. I have never been to stand up comedy but would love to for sure

January 14, 2017 at 8:48 am
  • Reply Lubka Henry

I’ve never been to a comedy show actually. It would be fun to visit with my hubby one day 🙂

January 14, 2017 at 7:42 pm
  • Reply beautykinguk

I have never ever come across this and it sounds brilliant! I even work near to Camden!

January 16, 2017 at 10:12 am
  • Reply HackingParenthood

This sounds like a great comedy place, i really do enjoy a good stand up. I have family that would love to go to this as well. Thanks for the post 🙂

January 16, 2017 at 3:58 pm
  • Reply Lisa Graham

I really like watching stand up on TV. I haven’t been to a live show but would love the chance to go.

January 16, 2017 at 6:40 pm
  • Reply Deborah Nicholas

Ive never been to a stand up show before but it is on my bucket list – im always worried though that we will get picked on as some of them tend to pull out someone in the audience (well they do on tv anyway! ) lol

January 16, 2017 at 6:52 pm
  • Reply KT Reekie

I haven’t been to a good stand up comedy night since before my kids were born. That’s bad, isn’t it? This one sounds like a lot of fun!

January 16, 2017 at 8:01 pm
  • Reply Lyndsey O'Halloran

I’ve never been to a stand up comedy night but I also don’t really watch on tv either

January 16, 2017 at 10:53 pm
  • Reply Kathy Ramsey Myers

I have been to several and really enjoy them. The only time I had an uncomfortable feeling was when one was picking on a guy in our group, he took it well but I felt sorry for him!

January 17, 2017 at 1:58 pm
  • Reply kerry norris

I’ll have to remember this for next time we’re in the area. I haven’t been to stand up comedy in years x

January 17, 2017 at 10:49 pm
  • Reply Claudia H. Blanton

I would have loved to listen all three – but it does sound like the French dude would have been my favorite. I love stand-up, Blessings!

January 17, 2017 at 11:43 pm
  • Reply Tracy Morgan

I love a good stand-up routine! There is nothing more exciting that listening to someone who really makes you laugh and wondering what they will say next! You are right, such a cheap night, too!

January 18, 2017 at 8:54 am
  • Reply Joanna

I have never been to a standup comedy show before. I would love to go though. The French comedian coming on the stage barefoot and with a glass of wine must have been hilarious.

January 18, 2017 at 3:05 pm
  • Reply Rodanthi Dimou

Standup comedy is very interesting – you never know what to expect! It’s a unique experience.

January 18, 2017 at 6:25 pm
  • Reply Mai C.

I’ve never watched a stand up comedy show live before! I’m pretty sure it’s even better than the taped ones! I think it’s awesome that you got to experience this!

January 19, 2017 at 1:59 am
  • Reply Alison Rost

Wow .. I’ve never attended a standup comedy show before .. but the next time I have a chance I’m going to. You’ve inspired me. Thanks so much for a great post!

January 19, 2017 at 2:26 am
  • Reply mark and kate

I love a stand up comedian show. I’ve been to one before and it just makes my night. I ended up laughing more than I’ve done for a year. They seem like a great act.

January 19, 2017 at 11:02 am
  • Reply kathryn Maher

The Irish Comedy Club in Camden Town sounds like a great venue. I haven’t been to any stand-up comedy shows and I must correct this. There are a lot of comedy shows in Dublin where I live. I definitely need to give it a go

January 19, 2017 at 11:46 am
  • Reply Keith Haney

You are so right. Good comedy show is an escape from life and a chance to delight the soul.

January 20, 2017 at 12:49 pm
  • Reply Veethee Dixit

I have always been a huge fan of stand up comedy. It is a great stress buster!

January 20, 2017 at 2:48 pm
  • Reply dreamingloud

I love stand up comedy too! I have only been to one live show but watched every stand up comedy that is there on Netflix. I love Ali Wong

January 24, 2017 at 4:12 pm