18 Travel Secrets To Make Your Holiday Smoother

18 Travel Secrets To Make Your Holiday Smoother

For some people going travelling is a once in a life-time opportunity, but for others they’re bitten by the travelling bug early and don’t stop globetrotting throughout their lives. I try and go away as much as I can but it’s never as much as I’d like, I’m still dreaming of the day I win the Euromillions, can quit my job and globe trot around the world…. we can dream. On my travels, I’ve picked up some little bits of advice or secrets to make sure your holiday runs smoother which I thought I’d share with you.

Pack dryer sheets in your suitcase

Dryer sheets take up zero space in your suitcase but will leave it smelling fresh and can act as a barrier to seperate your clean from dirty clothes, especially useful if you’re travelling and not just going to one location, unpacking and staying there.

Pack a long strip of duct tape

Again duct tape can take up next to no room but if you’re sunglasses have ever snapped or the strap from your bag broken you’ll appreciate how useful duct tape can be. Stop unexpected disasters and repair your items quickly and easily.

Take a ziplock bag so you can use your phone underwater

Obviously, you’re going to want a decent quality ziplock bag but if you’re splashing around in the pool or taking a quick dip in the edge of the sea you can keep your phone protected and still be able to take those special photos.

Keep necklaces untangled by using a straw

Tangled necklaces are the bane of my life so put a chain through a straw and tie it up to prevent knots and mad scrambles to untangle it ahead of going out.

Pack a reusable water bottle (preferably one that collapses)

Everywhere you go you’ll need water and in some cities and countries bottled water can work out very expensive. In restaurants you’ll regularly get free tap water, and a lot of places have fountains where you can fill yours up.

Check if the drinking water is safe to drink

Following on from the above point check if the water from the taps is safe to drink. In some countries you cannot or shouldn’t drink the tap water so be careful when drinking but also if you make ice, or when you’re washing your teeth.

Travelling

Put all your separate chargers in zip lock bags

Having tangled wires can be such a pain but by separating out your chargers into ziplock bags you can keep them within easy reach and never be searching or scrambling for a wire again.

Take earplugs

Earplugs should be one of the first things you take away with you as they can protect you from noisy babies on long plane rides, early morning noises from the street and snoring holidayers in hostel rooms.

Keep a spare fake wallet

Space permitting keep a spare wallet and stuff it with papers and small bills, and some of those fake credit cards you get in new purses. If the unfortunate happens and you are mugged you have something to hand over before you run.

Stash some extra cash in your belongings

Losing your wallet, having your card declined or going to an ATM machine are all scenarios where you may panic if you are limited on funds so keep some emergency money hidden somewhere. Top spots include under your shoe inserts, in the frame of your suitcase/ rucksack or in your toiletry bag.

Keep Backup copies of all your important documents

As well as the physical copies of your passport, driver’s license and travel documents you should have copies which are kept in a seperate place but also e-mail yourself copies so if your belongings go missing you can access your email and your documents.

Never exchange money in your hotel

I always exchange currency before I go away because I know that my local First Choice will price match anywhere, but if you need to exchange money when you’re away use your card, find an ATM or look for a currency exchange shop as your hotel are likely to charge an additional fee and probably won’t have the best rates available.

solo travel

Pack a spare outfit in your hand luggage

I’ve never known anyone to have their luggage not arrive and touch wood I won’t find any but if the worst does happen it’s always useful to keep a spare outfit (including underwear) in your hand luggage just in case.

Pack a lightweight scarf

A lightweight scarf is one of the most multi-functional items you can travel with and it will become your best friend especially if you’re heading to the middle east or somewhere hot. You can use it as a towel, sun protection, cover for entrance to religious buildings, a sarong, an eye mask and much more.

Place a plastic bag under the screw caps of any bottles

Shampoos, shower gels, and other items have a tendency to only leak during the worst situations and the last thing you want is for it to leak all over your clothing especially if you’ve packed up in a hurry. Pop a plastic bag in the screw cap before doing it up to prevent any little disasters,

Be careful when you take constipation medication

If you’re holidaying somewhere, particularly India, it’s likely that you’re going to need constipation medication at some point but think carefully about when you take it. You might not want to be rushing to the loo on a long train journey or when you’re stuck on a coach for half a day.

Always take the offer of a local guide

Guide books can only tell you so much so if you’re in a city center or wondering around a monument and are offered a local guide it’s well worth the money (although be careful it’s legit). You’ll be surprised at how much additional information you’ll get told. In Rome we had a guided tour around the Vatican Museum and it was so interesting and we knew what we were looking at.

Be aware of local laws

The final tip I’ll give it check out the local laws before you travel as laws change between countries. For example, you can not spit gum in Singapore (although it’s not nice anywhere) and you can’t drink on the streets in Dubai.

What are your top travelling tips?

18 Travel Secrets To Make Your Holiday Smoother

1. February 22, 2017 / 10:10 am

What a fabulous post. I wouldn’t have thought of any of these so will be implementing them in July when we go away. The fake wallet piece is very clever x

2. February 22, 2017 / 10:23 am

you forgot the main one, dont take children lol, i wont ever get abroad but we love camping x

3. February 22, 2017 / 10:27 am

The straw tip for necklaces is great I suppose it works well with bracelets/anklets too I normally buy things like that for gifts so I would use it to keep them safe and untangled x

4. Claire Mason
    February 22, 2017 / 10:45 am

Zip lock bag and duct tape so simply and yet such great ideas

5. Jodie Whitham
    February 22, 2017 / 12:09 pm

Some fab tips and tricks! I’ve never heard of the straw tip for necklaces and will definitely try this x

6. Donna
    February 22, 2017 / 12:50 pm

This is such fab advice! I do pack dryer sheets, they are just fab for keeping everything fresh and ready to wear. Love the idea of duct tape because you’re right you always need it! I recently travelled and my suitcase ripped slightly – this would have been the time to have duct tape! Thanks

7. Hungry_Healthy_Happy
    February 22, 2017 / 5:14 pm

Oh my god! That straw tip is amazing. I have been trying to find a way to stop them getting tangled for years. Thank you!!

8. Hayley
    February 22, 2017 / 6:11 pm

This is a great post! I travel a lot and never know how to transport my necklaces!

9. Jo Wiggins
    February 22, 2017 / 7:14 pm

I’ve never thought about putting my phone in a zip lock bag before, that’s genius!

10. Hannah Latoya Bond
    February 22, 2017 / 9:30 pm

Some great tips here. I always do a lot of these tips myself x

11. Joanna
    February 22, 2017 / 10:21 pm

Great tips I’ve done some of these before handy tip about the straw for keeping necklaces untangled.

12. February 23, 2017 / 12:56 am

Rhian this list of tips is incredible! I never thought about packing dryer sheets in my luggage!

13. February 23, 2017 / 12:56 am

I am actually going away tomorrow, so your tips have really helped me pack tonight!

14. February 23, 2017 / 3:59 am

What a great list of travel tips! My husband and I are leaving for spring break in a couple of weeks and I’m bookmarking your post so I don’t forget anything

15. February 23, 2017 / 5:04 pm

So many great tips here! I need to use the straw tip for my necklaces.

16. Le Coin de Mel
    February 23, 2017 / 7:42 pm

Wow Rhian, I loved this post! I have never ever thought of taking dryer sheets in my suitcase, but I’m definitely doing that next time we go away. Same goes with the straw trick! I always spend ages untangling my necklaces when we get to our holiday destination. Thanks for sharing! Pinning now x

17. February 23, 2017 / 8:07 pm

Great post- love the first idea of dryer sheets. Why have I never thought of that??!

18. Beth
    February 23, 2017 / 10:31 pm

Wow. These are fantastic tips and I didn’t ever think of most of them! Will defintley be showing this to my partner and keeping this post for when we pack next!

19. Baby Isabella
    February 24, 2017 / 12:37 pm

Woweeee! What great ideas! The fake wallet and the straws to protect chains on necklaces are genius. Totally sharing this! x

20. lianne
    February 24, 2017 / 1:29 pm

Wow some amazing tips! Dryer sheets! Why have I never thought of that! And does the ziplock bag really work?!

21. February 24, 2017 / 3:19 pm

Very useful tips. Never thought of having a fake wallet but sounds smart.

22. February 24, 2017 / 4:54 pm

ooo ive not heard some of these before especially the duck tape! ive experienced my bag breaking before whilst on holiday. it would have been so helpful back then

23. Natasha Mairs
    February 24, 2017 / 5:02 pm

Love the idea of taking a fake wallet. all these tips are really useful, espically to check whether you can drink the tap water

24. francesca
    February 24, 2017 / 9:43 pm

I love all of your ideas and tips!!1 I probably wouldn’t have thought of most of these!!

25. February 24, 2017 / 9:43 pm

I love this post! I think the idea of the fake wallet is so good xx

26. Leah Shafik
    February 25, 2017 / 12:12 am

These are such great tips! I love the fact they are simple and great for safety when traveling x

27. February 25, 2017 / 11:41 pm

Never heard of dryer sheets before but it sounds like exactly what I’ve always needed in my bag!!

28. Amy Deverson
    February 26, 2017 / 11:55 am

Packing a spare outfit in hand luggage is such a good idea! And opting for local guides is a good idea too. x

29. Melanie Edjourian
    February 26, 2017 / 8:58 pm

Ear plugs are a must for me I don’t travel without them. The dryer sheets is a great idea I might try that, thanks.

30. Angela Milnes
    February 27, 2017 / 11:31 am

I’ve never heard of the straw tip and a zip lock bag is a fab idea. In fact I use those for allsorts. A great item to take on your travels!

31. February 27, 2017 / 12:03 pm

Oh wow, there are some amazing tips here – The fake wallet is just genius as is keeping your phone in a ziplock bag. I would never have thought of the straw and jewellery trick either!

32. February 27, 2017 / 12:11 pm

I am pretty obsessive about packing these days after too many trips having forgotten something crucial! I love the tip of putting chargers in separate zip lock bags – I’ll be using that!

33. Angela Milnes
    March 1, 2017 / 1:28 pm

This is absolutely a good post! I love reading this and so glad that you share this awesome tips.