Practice Letting Go On National Get Over It Day

Flower Heart

According to the internet, today is National Get Over It Day which was created by Jeff Goldblatt in 2005 after having trouble getting over an ex-girlfriend, presumably his friends’ told him to get over it or something familiar. While I don’t like other people telling me to get over something – I’ll take my own time thanks – I think the idea of letting things go is quite positive. A lot of us worry about things too much and let things eat into our minds’ which is why letting go of an anxiety or worry can be so refreshing. Here are some things I’ll be trying to tell myself:

Get over the fact that you’ll never be super skinny

Even when I lost a lot of weight a few years’ back and I was healthy and happy I was never super skinny, yet whenever I think about where I want to be I think about being skinny. I need to get over the fact that I’ll never be super skinny or a size 8, I’m just too well built for that. I do want to lose weight and quite a bit but as long as I am happy with the way I look screw it if I’m not skinny.

Get over the fact that I’m never going to be confident

I’ve tried my whole life to be confident and even put myself in situations where I have to be such as speed dating but I need to get over the fact that I’ll never be hugely confident. I’ll never go up to a random stranger and talk to them, I’ll never compliment someone’s outfit if I don’t know them however great they look, and it’s unlikely I’ll ever speak up in a meeting, however good my idea might be. Not everyone is confident and I need to be happy with that. Think how loud and in your face the world would be if everyone was confident.

Get over the fact that you’ll never be able to walk in heels

I’ve never been good at wearing heels because I never had an interest in them as I was growing up. I wasn’t an overly girlie girl and even now other than my obsession with makeup I wouldn’t say I’m girlie and I’ve never been great with heels. I can admire them in shop windows and on other women but when it comes to wearing them myself I struggle to walk properly and I moan because my feet hurt. While it would be nice to suddenly one day be able to talk in stiletto heels I need to get over the fact that it just won’t happen.

Get over the feelings of constant insecurity

I’ve always been quite an insecure person, especially when it comes to the opposite sex. Men in general, have been a bit dickish to me over my life, but I need to try and get over my constant feelings of insecurity. I’ve been very lucky to find a someone who makes me feel wanted and loved and it’s really shown me that nice people do actually exist so I need to relish in the fact that I have been lucky and cherish every single moment I have of it without the feelings of insecurity. Over the past four months’ or so I have found these feelings’ lower considerably so now it’s time to let them go.

What do you want to tell yourself to get over?
March 9, 2017

• Reply StressedMum

What a great day, I did not know about get over it day, but have actually got over something today. I am with you on heels I like them but only wear low heels as my feet kill me x

March 10, 2017 at 11:28 am
  • Reply Donna

This is a day I haven’t heard of yet! Today is also PRIDE IN YOUR MIDDLE NAME DAY – Ha! I love this post Rhian, it’s feel-good and empowering!

March 10, 2017 at 1:37 pm
  • Reply Baby Isabella

We wish everyday was National Get Over It Day! It could do with letting go of all the crap every once in a while. x

March 10, 2017 at 4:55 pm
  • Reply Sarah Bailey

I did not know there was a National Get Over It day, but I think it’s a great idea. Whilst we might not like for others to tell us to get over something, we could all do with getting over a few things in our lives.

March 10, 2017 at 6:02 pm
  • Reply Hannah Latoya Bond

I’ve never heard of national get over it day, it does sound interesting

March 10, 2017 at 9:43 pm
  • Reply Cristina Oprea

Well.. I’m telling myself that I am very important to share love and positivity around me, and I should br able to do that with myself. And most of all, I tell myself that it’s a vital experience and I must have it in order to grow

March 10, 2017 at 11:57 pm
  • Reply Anosa

Haha, I never knew that! I guess everyday we really have to get over on things that are not good. Its for us to be more happy and be in good vibes.

March 11, 2017 at 5:18 am
  • Reply Beautyqueenuk

I had no idea such a day existed but I am totally over never being able to walk in heels ha x

March 11, 2017 at 8:49 am
  • Reply Claire St Hillaire

That is a great day to celebrate! I’ve never been able to walk in heels so I am going to get over that. I am also going to let go off the fact that I haven’t went to medical school yet. This is a great post!

March 11, 2017 at 3:46 pm
  • Reply Ickle Pickle

Oh wear to start! I too suffer from insecurity and self doubt too. I also suffer anxiety and mum guilt! Kaz

March 11, 2017 at 7:54 pm
  • Reply Charlotte

There are so many things that I need to get over that I don’t know where to start!

March 11, 2017 at 8:49 pm
  • Reply Sarah@WhimsicalMumblings

This is a great idea for a national day. I do agree with most of your points, but I am gradually building my confidence. I cannot wear heels though!

March 11, 2017 at 9:04 pm
  • Reply Emma Hope Newitt

What a great idea for a national day, so much we can look at and learn to let go more of! I really enjoyed this post Rhian 🙂

March 11, 2017 at 9:44 pm
  • Reply Stella Kashmoney

I need to get over negative people. They will always exist. I just need to avoid them.

March 12, 2017 at 5:55 pm
  • Reply Melanie Edjourian

My goodness they seem to have a day for everything nowdays don’t they. I’m not so sure I like Get Over It Day as it isn’t so simple as to just get over some things. I can get over the fact I won’t be able to walk in heels properly though lol.

March 12, 2017 at 6:39 pm
  • Reply francesca

Awwwh this was a lovely post to read!! I agree about the weight point, my weight is all over the place and I can’t help but compare myself sometimes! I’m so glad you met someone who isn’t a dick and makes you feel great!

March 12, 2017 at 7:34 pm
  • Reply Candice Nikeia

I didn’t know this was a day! Love it! I need to get over jealous people. I have always struggled with wanting to be liked by everyone but not everyone will like me and that’s ok!

March 12, 2017 at 8:13 pm
  • Reply Stephanie Merry

I love this idea and has no idea that the day even existed! I’d tell myself to let go of situations I have no control over x

March 12, 2017 at 8:33 pm
  • Reply Rachel Nicole

I didn’t know that this day existed, there really is a day for everything. I need to get over that I can walk in heels but I’m still clinging onto hope that one day I’ll master it! xo

March 13, 2017 at 12:09 am
  • Reply Chloe Griffiths

love this, i didn’t realise this day existed I swear we have a day for everything now haha xo

March 13, 2017 at 9:00 am
  • Reply Nicol Wong

haha love this day. never knew it existed. it’d be good if it was every day

March 13, 2017 at 11:05 am
  • Reply fashion-mommy

It’s an interesting concept, get over it rather than whinging, I wonder how many people put it into practice?

March 13, 2017 at 11:19 am
  • Reply Hayley

This is such a great post, there’s a couple of things that I need to just get over!

March 13, 2017 at 11:53 am
  • Reply Natasha Mairs

I’m with you on the heels. Like the look of them, just can’t walk in the things.

March 13, 2017 at 1:59 pm
  • Reply Ashton Gibbs

Oh my gosh, I can totally relate to all of these! I never knew this day even existed haha. Such a good post lovely. 🙂
    Ashton xx

March 13, 2017 at 3:11 pm
  • Reply Tanya Brannan

Oh yes!!! All of these!! I love the whole idea of “get over it” day, and your ones would be exactly what I would choose too x

March 13, 2017 at 7:48 pm
  • Reply Annie Bean

Didn’t actually know this was a thing! I’m so not with it. I need to do all of these things…. I want to feel the weight off my shoulders!

March 14, 2017 at 7:37 am
  • Reply Melanie Williams

Love this empowering post, such a great read hun…thanks 🙂 x

March 15, 2017 at 10:00 am
  • Reply Penny Aylwin

I’m a big fan of getting over the weight of others’ expectations – be they to do with life, love, appearance or parenting. Coming to terms with that has been really helpful to me. And I’m with you about heels! I’m most definitely a Converse girl

March 15, 2017 at 12:58 pm
  • Reply Angela Ricardo Bethea

This post is very empowering. I have been swearing by this way of life these past few years and it have made a huge difference in my life. No more negativity. Less drama and a lot of positivity. Thank you for sharing!

March 16, 2017 at 4:09 am