Practice Letting Go On National Get Over It Day

Practice Letting Go On National Get Over It Day

According to the internet, today is National Get Over It Day which was created by Jeff Goldblatt in 2005 after having trouble getting over an ex-girlfriend, presumably his friends’ told him to get over it or something familiar. While I don’t like other people telling me to get over something – I’ll take my own time thanks – I think the idea of letting things go is quite positive. A lot of us worry about things too much and let things eat into our minds’ which is why letting go of an anxiety or worry can be so refreshing. Here are some things I’ll be trying to tell myself:

Get over the fact that you’ll never be super skinny

Even when I lost a lot of weight a few years’ back and I was healthy and happy I was never super skinny, yet whenever I think about where I want to be I think about being skinny. I need to get over the fact that I’ll never be super skinny or a size 8, I’m just too well built for that. I do want to lose weight and quite a bit but as long as I am happy with the way I look screw it if I’m not skinny.

Get over the fact that I’m never going to be confident

I’ve tried my whole life to be confident and even put myself in situations where I have to be such as speed dating but I need to get over the fact that I’ll never be hugely confident. I’ll never go up to a random stranger and talk to them, I’ll never compliment someone’s outfit if I don’t know them however great they look, and it’s unlikely I’ll ever speak up in a meeting, however good my idea might be. Not everyone is confident and I need to be happy with that. Think how loud and in your face the world would be if everyone was confident.

Get over the fact that you’ll never be able to walk in heels

I’ve never been good at wearing heels because I never had an interest in them as I was growing up. I wasn’t an overly girlie girl and even now other than my obsession with makeup I wouldn’t say I’m girlie and I’ve never been great with heels. I can admire them in shop windows and on other women but when it comes to wearing them myself I struggle to walk properly and I moan because my feet hurt. While it would be nice to suddenly one day be able to talk in stiletto heels I need to get over the fact that it just won’t happen.

Get over the feelings of constant insecurity

I’ve always been quite an insecure person, especially when it comes to the opposite sex. Men in general, have been a bit dickish to me over my life, but I need to try and get over my constant feelings of insecurity. I’ve been very lucky to find a someone who makes me feel wanted and loved and it’s really shown me that nice people do actually exist so I need to relish in the fact that I have been lucky and cherish every single moment I have of it without the feelings of insecurity. Over the past four months’ or so I have found these feelings’ lower considerably so now it’s time to let them go.

What do you want to tell yourself to get over?

1. March 10, 2017 / 11:28 am

What a great day, I did not know about get over it day, but have actually got over something today. I am with you on heels I like them but only wear low heels as my feet kill me x

2. Donna
    March 10, 2017 / 1:37 pm

This is a day I haven’t heard of yet! Today is also PRIDE IN YOUR MIDDLE NAME DAY – Ha! I love this post Rhian, it’s feel-good and empowering!

3. Baby Isabella
    March 10, 2017 / 4:55 pm

We wish everyday was National Get Over It Day! It could do with letting go of all the crap every once in a while. x

4. March 10, 2017 / 6:02 pm

I did not know there was a National Get Over It day, but I think it’s a great idea. Whilst we might not like for others to tell us to get over something, we could all do with getting over a few things in our lives.

5. Hannah Latoya Bond
    March 10, 2017 / 9:43 pm

I’ve never heard of national get over it day, it does sound interesting

6. Cristina Oprea
    March 10, 2017 / 11:57 pm

Well.. I’m telling myself that I am very important to share love and positivity around me, and I should br able to do that with myself. And most of all, I tell myself that it’s a vital experience and I must have it in order to grow

7. March 11, 2017 / 5:18 am

Haha, I never knew that! I guess everyday we really have to get over on things that are not good. Its for us to be more happy and be in good vibes.

8. Beautyqueenuk
    March 11, 2017 / 8:49 am

I had no idea such a day existed but I am totally over never being able to walk in heels ha x

9. Claire St Hillaire
    March 11, 2017 / 3:46 pm

That is a great day to celebrate! I’ve never been able to walk in heels so I am going to get over that. I am also going to let go off the fact that I haven’t went to medical school yet. This is a great post!

10. Ickle Pickle
    March 11, 2017 / 7:54 pm

Oh wear to start! I too suffer from insecurity and self doubt too. I also suffer anxiety and mum guilt! Kaz

11. Charlotte
    March 11, 2017 / 8:49 pm

There are so many things that I need to get over that I don’t know where to start!

12. March 11, 2017 / 9:04 pm

This is a great idea for a national day. I do agree with most of your points, but I am gradually building my confidence. I cannot wear heels though!

13. March 11, 2017 / 9:44 pm

What a great idea for a national day, so much we can look at and learn to let go more of! I really enjoyed this post Rhian 🙂

14. March 12, 2017 / 5:55 pm

I need to get over negative people. They will always exist. I just need to avoid them.

15. Melanie Edjourian
    March 12, 2017 / 6:39 pm

My goodness they seem to have a day for everything nowdays don’t they. I’m not so sure I like Get Over It Day as it isn’t so simple as to just get over some things. I can get over the fact I won’t be able to walk in heels properly though lol.

16. francesca
    March 12, 2017 / 7:34 pm

Awwwh this was a lovely post to read!! I agree about the weight point, my weight is all over the place and I can’t help but compare myself sometimes! I’m so glad you met someone who isn’t a dick and makes you feel great!

17. March 12, 2017 / 8:13 pm

I didn’t know this was a day! Love it! I need to get over jealous people. I have always struggled with wanting to be liked by everyone but not everyone will like me and that’s ok!

18. March 12, 2017 / 8:33 pm

I love this idea and has no idea that the day even existed! I’d tell myself to let go of situations I have no control over x

19. March 13, 2017 / 12:09 am

I didn’t know that this day existed, there really is a day for everything. I need to get over that I can walk in heels but I’m still clinging onto hope that one day I’ll master it! xo

20. Chloe Griffiths
    March 13, 2017 / 9:00 am

love this, i didn’t realise this day existed I swear we have a day for everything now haha xo

21. March 13, 2017 / 11:05 am

haha love this day. never knew it existed. it’d be good if it was every day

22. fashion-mommy
    March 13, 2017 / 11:19 am

It’s an interesting concept, get over it rather than whinging, I wonder how many people put it into practice?

23. Hayley
    March 13, 2017 / 11:53 am

This is such a great post, there’s a couple of things that I need to just get over!

24. Natasha Mairs
    March 13, 2017 / 1:59 pm

I’m with you on the heels. Like the look of them, just can’t walk in the things.

25. Ashton Gibbs
    March 13, 2017 / 3:11 pm

Oh my gosh, I can totally relate to all of these! I never knew this day even existed haha. Such a good post lovely. 🙂
    Ashton xx

26. March 13, 2017 / 7:48 pm

Oh yes!!! All of these!! I love the whole idea of “get over it” day, and your ones would be exactly what I would choose too x

27. Annie Bean
    March 14, 2017 / 7:37 am

Didn’t actually know this was a thing! I’m so not with it. I need to do all of these things…. I want to feel the weight off my shoulders!

28. Melanie Williams
    March 15, 2017 / 10:00 am

Love this empowering post, such a great read hun…thanks 🙂 x

29. Penny Aylwin
    March 15, 2017 / 12:58 pm

I’m a big fan of getting over the weight of others’ expectations – be they to do with life, love, appearance or parenting. Coming to terms with that has been really helpful to me. And I’m with you about heels! I’m most definitely a Converse girl

30. March 16, 2017 / 4:09 am

This post is very empowering. I have been swearing by this way of life these past few years and it have made a huge difference in my life. No more negativity. Less drama and a lot of positivity. Thank you for sharing!