Trek America Holiday Checklist – Essentials You Need To Take

Hawaii

It’s only just over a week until I head off to the States for my very first Trek America tour so countdown Hawaii is well and truly on on now. It still hasn’t really sunk in that in a few weeks’ time I’ll be jetting off alone thousands of miles away from home to spend 8 days or so with a bunch of strangers. I’ve done an organized tour before but this is going to be on another level as I have a lot more traveling to do than when I went to Morocco with Exodus, and it’s going to be a totally different type of holiday.

Anyone who’s doing an organized trip knows how much you need to be prepared, especially when you’re braving it on your own like me *gulp*. If you hadn’t guessed it I am one of those super duper prepared people who likes to have everything sorted as early in advance and paperwork was something I could do way ahead of time. If you’re heading to the States you’ll need to make sure you have:

• A valid passport with at least 6 months’ additional time on it. If your passport runs out less than 6 month’s after travelling you may not be able to board your plane.
  • An ESTA which is a visa for the States valid if you’re there for under a few months. Once you apply these can last up to two years’. While you don’t need a print out of this I always think it’s handy.

If you’re going on an organized tour you’ll also want to make sure you have:

• A print out of the tour notes. These are useful as they give you a rundown of where you’ll be each day/ night, the starting and ending times and locations and other useful information.
  • Two printouts of your travel insurance information. Most tour organizers will only let you join if you have valid travel insurance and chances are they’ll want a copy so always print one for you and one for them.
  • Vouchers for the trip/ hotels. I booked an additional nights hotel at the beginning and end of my tour so I can arrive the night before the tour starts and have an evening there before I leave so I have vouchers which I’ll need to present to my hotel when I arrive.

Other things you’ll want to look into before heading away are:

• Phone contracts. I know for a fact I will probably get limited Wifi in Hawaii but EE who are my providers charge such a lot for roaming (like £4 a day) so I am going to look into a Three Mobile phone contract for while I’m away. It might be a pain to have a different number but it could save me a hell of a lot of money and enable me to contact my loved one’s and make everyone jealous with photos on Instagram.
  • Currency. Of course, anywhere you head outside the UK you’ll need some local currency but in more remote locations like islands, or off the beaten track you don’t want to rely on cash points so make sure you think about your expenses and ensure you have enough currency for your trip. With Trek America, we have to put into a kitty to cover the cost of general food and drink so you have to have this in cash on arrival.

While what you take on each tour will vary and always include similar things like clothes, toiletries, sunglasses and suncream Trek America are slightly different in that they’re predominantly a camping tour so essentials such as a sleeping bag, pillow, head torch and travel towel are even more essential here than anywhere else.

Have you done an organized tour before? What are your essential items?
March 29, 2017

• Reply Charlotte

I hope you have an amazing time! I can’t wait to hear all about it! x

March 30, 2017 at 9:21 am
  • Reply Mellissa Williams

I have been thinking of doing an organised tour of the American ‘Deep South’ I have been before but want to go back. You will have an amazing time in Hawaii. You don’t see many blog posts on it from UK bloggers so i will be excited to read it

March 30, 2017 at 9:42 am
  • Reply Hayley

I love travelling alone but I’d never considered Trek America before, it sounds so fun! I hope you have a great time!

March 30, 2017 at 12:39 pm
  • Reply Stephanie Merry

I’ve never done an organised tour before but I would love to do one – I bet you have the most amazing time! x

March 30, 2017 at 2:15 pm
  • Reply falcondalejan

I did not know that you would have to hand in a copy of your travel insurance, good tip. It’s funny how much you have to print off for a trip isn’t it?

March 30, 2017 at 3:20 pm
  • Reply Sarah Bailey

I’ve never done an organised tour myself. I had no idea the organizers would not let you join without travel insurance but I suppose it makes sense as to take any liability away from them. You seem to be all organized and ready!

March 30, 2017 at 4:55 pm
  • Reply FussFreeJen

I haven’t been away for such a long long time, let alone do an organised tour such as this. I think it is very exciting for you, and will be a whole heap of fun. So glad you have checked up with what you need, I’ve heard horror stories of people not being able to fly out with family because they are missing one vital piece of paperwork or their passport isn’t up to standard. Good on you for that.

March 30, 2017 at 5:24 pm
  • Reply shoshana sue

I think you are living my dream travel life. Morocco is one place on my wish list and so is Hawaii. I am so envious, cant wait to read about your trip!
    The checklist you ave provided is so important. Many of us usually forget about the WiFi and mobile contracts and then end up paying through the roof fees.
    Enjoy your vacation Rhian x

March 31, 2017 at 7:41 am
  • Reply Rachel Bee

OMG this looks amazing! I so want to do something like this one day, but I think it’s a way off!

March 31, 2017 at 9:04 am
  • Reply Joanna

That’s a pretty cool tour you are going on, camping around America. How long will it last? It must be an amazing experience.

March 31, 2017 at 1:47 pm
  • Reply Melissa Zia

I have never been on an organised tour before but it sounds great! I need to go on one, one day. Very helpful checklist

March 31, 2017 at 5:49 pm
  • Reply Anosa

Oh wow, I am excited for you my dear! Your list is really a must. Have a safe travels and keep taking pictures as many as you can. Happy and safe travels for you!

April 1, 2017 at 5:21 am
  • Reply Anna Nuttall

I’m so envious of you. I would love to do that! A helpful checklist for any traveler. xx

April 1, 2017 at 8:38 am
  • Reply Stella Kashmoney

No I haven’t but it sounds like fun. Have a great time.

April 1, 2017 at 10:15 am
  • Reply Melanie Edjourian

Wow your travelling on your own, you are very brave I don’t think I could. I’m the same I like to be as organised as possible.

April 1, 2017 at 4:57 pm
  • Reply Always Carry On.

I’m so excited for your trip – but also majorly jealous!! Take me with you?! 😛 x

April 1, 2017 at 8:35 pm
  • Reply Laura @ What's Hot?

How exciting! I hope you have an amazing time and that you meet some lovely people 🙂

April 2, 2017 at 4:50 pm
  • Reply Crystal Gareau

Super Exciting!!!! I would love to be travelling right now. Have a blast!

April 3, 2017 at 12:51 pm
  • Reply Lisa (Travel Loving Family)

Oh you are going to have a blast and you sound super duper prepared!

April 4, 2017 at 8:32 pm
  • Reply Battle Mum (BattleMum)

I’ve never done an organised tour and I’m intrigued to know how you get on in Hawaii. I’d love to visit there one day but I’m not sure I’d go down the route of camping mind you! Have a fab time and I can’t wait to read all about it when you are back!

April 4, 2017 at 9:19 pm
  • Reply Lyndsey O'Halloran

I always wanted to do this kind of thing when I was younger but never managed it

April 4, 2017 at 9:50 pm
  • Reply Ana De Jesus

I think it is amazing that you are going on tour with so many other people I bet you are going to have so much fun! Can’t wait to hear all about it x

April 4, 2017 at 10:31 pm
  • Reply theloveofacaptain

Sounds like you are going to have an amazing time. I’ve always fancied a trip to Hawaii! x

April 4, 2017 at 11:25 pm
  • Reply Tracy Morgan

Fabulous advice and information. Can I tell you how jealous I am? Seriously! Have a fantastic time! x

April 5, 2017 at 7:54 am
  • Reply Zena's Suitcase

Have an amazing trip. I love this check list, being organised for a trip like this is so important

April 5, 2017 at 8:12 pm