Reasons You Know You’re Truly An Adult

Nevermore

Sometimes I look at my life and think yeah I’m a proper adult, I have my own flat and a proper job and other times I just want to lay in bed all day, refuse to do the housework and pretend I’m just a teenager again. I think it’s nice to have a good combination because who wants to be an adult all the time when you can go to a trampoline park, binge watch a Netflix series and splurge on a handbag you’ve wanted for ages. Here are just some of the ways you know you’re a proper adult:

• You spend £80 on a fancy new bedspread which has a proper thread count. I promise you, you won’t regret it
  • You manage to cook an entire meal from scratch without making the kitchen look in a bomb dropped
  • Tidying up as you go along has become second nature because no one wants to live like a complete slob
  • You own more than three different cleaning products
  • Having an empty washing basket gives you so much joy
  • Somehow you’ve managed to put some money into a mystical thing called a savings account and haven’t spent it all on takeaways and makeup
  • Going to bed at 9pm is seen as a massive win and not a complete defeat on life
  • You don’t feel the need to go out every weekend, sometimes staying at home and relaxing is just as perfect
  • Getting your bathroom spotless fills you with happiness
  • You own more than one type of insurance (Car/ Home/ Travel/ Life)
  • Paying into a pension doesn’t seem like a completely pointless task, you know you want to have a life when you’re old
  • While the idea of turning 30 might seem daunting you’re no longer completely scared
  • The plans and ideas you had for your life as a teenager seem a little unrealistic looking back on it
  • Friends are choosing to have kids and get married and it’s no longer a shock
  • You don’t always buy own brand food when you shop. You can’t beat proper Heinz ketchup
  • Buying practical items for your home is exciting and no longer seem as a waste of money. A new hoover?! Wow!
  • You get excited by cushions and bedding
  • Teenagers seem like an alien race now and they’re so loud and obnoxious. Please say we weren’t like that at that age?!
  • Ikea is like Disneyland for adults, and building flat pack furniture is like adult lego
  • You start cushioning your holidays with an extra day at the end for sleeping, unpacking and washing clothes
Can you relate to any of these? What things make you feel like an adult?
April 27, 2017

• Reply Baby Isabella

Totally agree that Ikea is like Disneyland for adults! My mummy loves shopping in there and thread counts on linen is super important these days…..gosh she sounds like an adult. its nice to have the occasional lie-in and pretend to be a teenager sometimes too…

April 28, 2017 at 11:10 am
  • Reply Melanie Williams

You own more than one type of insurance and get excited by cushions and bedding made me laugh – great list 🙂 x

April 28, 2017 at 2:12 pm
  • Reply StressedMum

Haha I can relate to all of these, but then again I have just turned 50, nothing makes me happier than a spotless kitchen, bathroom and empty wash basket, along with new luxury bedding x

April 28, 2017 at 3:18 pm
  • Reply Leah Shafik

I can definitely relate to these… I have to add, I keep thinking how YOUNG people are in professions like doctors / policemen / teachers…just look way too young! x

April 28, 2017 at 9:07 pm
  • Reply Alison Rost

These are awesome. I can so relate to bedding by thread count. And you’re so right .. going to bed at 9pm would feel like I’d died and gone to heaven!

April 29, 2017 at 5:37 am
  • Reply Stephanie Merry

I can relate to too many of these! But I wouldn’t have it any other way. Getting into bed for 9pm is a massive win for me now! x

April 29, 2017 at 1:20 pm
  • Reply Joanna

I relate to so many of these its funny how we get excited over buying a new hoover, having an empty washing basket and own a selection of cleaning products

April 29, 2017 at 9:51 pm
  • Reply Helen Clark

Ah I love these! They’re are all so true. I’ve been a mum for 14 years so feel like I’ve been an adult for a long time, I love not adulting now and again and watching Netflix all day and having a day off from everything.

April 30, 2017 at 7:44 am
  • Reply The London Mum

Oh my god- the day I spent real money on thread count I knew I was lost to ageing lol

April 30, 2017 at 3:14 pm
  • Reply Ana De Jesus

Haha I completely relate. When I see teens now I find them so annoying but I also think to myself god was I ever that annoying? LOL x

April 30, 2017 at 4:29 pm
  • Reply Melanie Edjourian

Lol I think it depends on what you cook. I cook and bake and sometimes it still looks like a bomb has hit and I am no where near a child anymore 😉

April 30, 2017 at 7:10 pm
  • Reply Olivia Jade

I love this post, I think I am truly an adult and this makes me sad! I love ikea it’s my favourite shop #adultalert! x

May 1, 2017 at 12:09 pm
  • Reply Robin Rue

Haha, I don’t feel the need to go out any weekend. I love being home as much as possible these days.

May 2, 2017 at 10:49 am
  • Reply KatieCarlson721

This list is hilarious and really hits home! I like the one about a fancy new bedspread which has a proper thread count. Who know adulthood would be so much fun! 😉

May 2, 2017 at 1:47 pm
  • Reply Mandy Young Carter

Maybe I haven’t hit an adult yet…LOL. I think I hit an adult then decided after a decade of it I was going back!

May 2, 2017 at 2:11 pm
  • Reply shoshana sue

I so relate with this list. I have been hitting the sack these days on weekends as early as 8:30 and I feel no guilt lol.
    And about the cleaning products.. do not get me started on the wide range I own haha

May 2, 2017 at 2:50 pm
  • Reply Marcie in Mommyland

I love this so much! Yes, I get a lot of joy out of going to bed by 9pm most nights! And I love nice sheets on my bed!

May 2, 2017 at 3:11 pm
  • Reply Angela Tolsma

OMG I can so related to all of these! Teenagers are totally an alien race and new bedding with quality threading so worth every penny!

May 2, 2017 at 5:19 pm
  • Reply Karen Yannacio Morse

You nailed it about the weekend. I actually must be a major adult because I LOVE staying home. On the couch, with wine and cheese/crackers…maybe a movie or music. Perfect!

May 2, 2017 at 9:44 pm
  • Reply OvenStruck

Quite a unique look on adulthood lol I can totally relate to all of these. My kids make me feel like an adult….every day! 🙂

May 2, 2017 at 11:59 pm
  • Reply militaryfamof8

The IKEA one hit the spot lol, that is my go to for a fun date

May 3, 2017 at 12:54 am
  • Reply Terri Steffes

I love the empty wash basket, has that ever happened to me? I don’t think so…

May 3, 2017 at 2:07 am
  • Reply PrimeBeauty

I can relate to so many of these things. It’s funny how going to bed a 9 pm was such a drag as a kid but now it seems like a treat. I still don’t like doing laundry or cleaning the bathroom but I do feel a great sense of satisfaction when I’m done.

May 3, 2017 at 2:31 am
  • Reply Stacey Werner

These points are great and very enriching to read!
    I often feel great when I plop myself in bed at an early hour…how true.
    This is the case for so many of these points.

May 3, 2017 at 1:36 pm
  • Reply Aish Padihari

Getting the bathroom spotless is definitely my thing. Agreed 100%. In my opinion, a clean kitchen and a clean bathroom is key to happiness.

May 3, 2017 at 5:01 pm
  • Reply hzajac13

What a fun post! Of course I am an adult, but I’m not always sure I want to be!

May 3, 2017 at 5:19 pm
  • Reply Mai C.

I get excited when I enter the grocery store or a market! Lol. That’s how I figured out that I am really growing old.

May 3, 2017 at 5:27 pm
  • Reply Amanda Love

Right? I get excited with beddings and buying different decors for the house! I think I can relate to all of these!

May 3, 2017 at 5:43 pm
  • Reply Being Ashleigh

Loved this post! So, so sorry for the late comment Rhian. I feel like I am yet to experience so many of these as I am recently feeling like a failure at 24… but once I feel a joy at the washing basket being empty, I’ll remember I am officially a real adult ha 🙂

Ashleigh
    x

May 3, 2017 at 10:44 pm
  • Reply Lara

These ring so true! Definitely feel the last one. These days, would add being worried not only about what my future holds but about every phase along the the way that lies ahead for my son. So many things to prepare for!

May 3, 2017 at 10:57 pm
  • Reply Mardene Carr

Well then, those are good reasons to feel like you have gotten to that threshold…LOL

May 4, 2017 at 3:48 pm
  • Reply Brittany Muddamalle

Wow I can feel them all! Especially cleaning the bathroom. It’s so hard to keep with clean with three little boys so when I walk into a clean bathroom… wow.

May 4, 2017 at 6:15 pm
  • Reply Jennifer Pilgrim

So many of these are exactly me! I especially love the cleaning ones.. it is definitely so true.

May 5, 2017 at 4:08 am
  • Reply Amber Nelson

Yes, I can definitely relate! When it comes time to the weekend, I am ready to relax!

May 5, 2017 at 11:27 pm
  • Reply Sarah Bailey

Haha this is so true the only one I haven’t mastered is the cooking one I fail at that one big time.

May 9, 2017 at 7:05 am