Relaxation And Sunshine On The Island Of Crete

Relaxation And Sunshine On The Island Of Crete

I tend to find that I’m always on the go for holidays so when two of my friends said they were heading to the Greek island of Crete for a few days after the early May bank holiday I jumped at the chance to join them. We headed to a B&B a few minutes from Gatwick Airport to stay the night before as we had a 5 am flight and after what felt like just minutes of sleep we were back in the car, parking up at Gatwick and getting the shuttle to the main airport.

We headed there on Thursday 4th and due to an early flight we had landed, collected our luggage, taken a bus to Chania town centre and found our accommodation by midday. We were pretty tired on our first day so opted to walk along the harbor front in search of a beach so we could just sit back and relax and thankfully the weather was on our side with 30-degree heat throughout the trip. We spent a lovely few hours sunbathing, reading, having a quick swim and just generally enjoying the beautiful sunshine. There’s a lot of fresh seafood on the island so my first night started with Shrimps and spaghetti against a beautiful sunset backdrop. Perfection.

On Friday started off with a nice early morning walk along the harbor and some ruins before the crowds arrived before we headed off on a little glass bottom boat tour for some swimming and snorkeling. In all honesty, there wasn’t a great deal to see under the water but it was a fun, albeit cold, exploration of the seas. We had a leisurely afternoon sitting on our apartments rooftop enjoying the sunshine and views before going for a wander through the back streets of the old town and doing a little bit of shopping. We even came across a beautiful hidden restaurant which is where we headed later that evening for more seafood and some live traditional Greek music.

Saturday was our most active day and it was a trek of Samaria Gorge which is located in the Southwest of the island created by a small river running between the White Mountains. The trek itself is 13.2km for the gorge starting at Omalos, and another 3km to the shore in Afia Roumeli which starts at an altitude of 1,250m. The gorge is actually a national park and is always on the top things to do in Crete lists, although we had started the day thinking we were just going to do the ‘lazy’ 4km route. I have to admit this walk was one of the toughest things I’ve done due to the uneven terrain on the walk which despite all being downhill was a big challenge. I had a few stops along the way but it did take the best part of 7 hours’ to complete, which when you pick up the coach at 7.45am and don’t arrive back after all the travel until 8.30pm makes for a very long day. If you’re planning on doing the trek check out my top tips for survival.

We wanted some relaxation on Sunday so took a 2-hour coach ride to something called the ‘Pink Beach’ which was meant to have pink colours showing all along the edge of the sea. While we didn’t see anything which looked pink it was a lovely beach and a really nice relaxing day out where I did nothing more than sunbathe, swim, read my book and have a quick lunch. It was exactly the kind of day I needed after the long trek the day before, although silly me did get a little burnt on my back.

By Monday it was time for me to bid farewell to my friends’ who were staying on for another day and head back to Chania airport for my flight back to London and back to reality. It was a great holiday and really nice to feel the sunshine and relax, but to be honest with so much traveling in the past month I was really glad to finally be home.

Pin It!

Do you want to relax in the sunshine on the island of Crete?

1. Hannah Latoya Bond
    May 11, 2017 / 9:20 am

Looks like it was a great trip. I’ve never been to Crete

2. Gareth Torrance
    May 11, 2017 / 12:47 pm

I’ve always wanted to go on holiday to Crete. Maybe I can persuade my wife with those photos haha

3. May 11, 2017 / 1:25 pm

I went to Crete around 30 years ago and it was simply stunning. I remember is so well and I would love to go back and have a holiday there x

4. May 11, 2017 / 5:31 pm

I would absolutely love to visit Crete one day it seems like such an amaIng place, perhaps one day I will make it myself.

5. Joanna
    May 11, 2017 / 5:49 pm

Crete looks like an amazing place to visit them photos you took look fab

6. Alison Rost
    May 12, 2017 / 7:19 am

What a beautiful place to go, especially with friends for a short getaway. If I was visiting Crete I’m positive I would have eaten my weight in seafood. It’s such a treat when it’s fresh!

7. Melanie Williams
    May 12, 2017 / 9:28 am

Never been to crete, but this looks gorg. Deffo puts me in the mood to give this place a go 🙂 x

8. Becca Talbot
    May 12, 2017 / 10:29 am

Like you, if someone says “travel” I say “when” – never pass up an opportunity to get away! I’ve not been to Crete but looks like you had a lovely time x

9. May 12, 2017 / 12:54 pm

Beautiful photos. Crete seem to be really popular this year. I would love to visit one day. xx

10. May 12, 2017 / 6:37 pm

I love seeing a sunny blue sky, I really need to get away soon!
    The Pink beach sounds awesome, if only it was actually pink 🙂

Dani x

11. May 12, 2017 / 8:13 pm

Sounds like a perfect get away. I know so many people heading to Greece this summer. It’s never appealed to me. I have been once as a child and remembered hating it, but I think I might appreciate it more as an adult x

12. Ayesha Farhad
    May 12, 2017 / 10:58 pm

how perfect is that water stream through the big boulders? SO therapeutic!

13. Jessica
    May 13, 2017 / 8:17 pm

The photos are so beautiful.I would love to visit Crete one day.

14. May 14, 2017 / 12:20 pm

Omg I’m planning a trip to Greece in August and Crete is one of the islands I’ve been looking at. Was it overrun with tourist, or is it pretty manageable?

15. Kira L Curtis
    May 14, 2017 / 2:55 pm

I went to Crete last year but stayed on the north coast! It’s a beautiful little island and I definitely want to go back! Looked into trekking the gorge last time but it was a bit too far away, definitely want to go back and explore some more!

16. May 15, 2017 / 1:39 pm

This is beautiful! I have so many places that I want to see in Europe and Greece is certainly high up on the list.

17. May 15, 2017 / 7:34 pm

What a fantastic opportunity to spend time with your friends. I like the thought of starting my mini break with Shrimps & Spaghetti too. I’ve never been to Crete but its definitely on my ‘to visit’ list.

18. Elena Stevkovska
    May 17, 2017 / 9:20 am

I want to go to Crete this summer. I have some friends who have been there before and they say it is a lovely place.

19. Deborah Nicholas
    May 19, 2017 / 9:25 am

oh wow that looks almost deserted – how beautiful!

20. Helen Jacob-Lloyd
    May 19, 2017 / 2:17 pm

Ah wow! Crete looks just so beautiful! It’s making me want to book a holiday right now 🙂

21. Lyndsey O'Halloran
    May 19, 2017 / 8:40 pm

Crete looks like a beautiful place to visit. I’d love to go

22. Kitty & B
    May 20, 2017 / 3:26 pm

I love European mini breaks. I have never thought of Crete for one. Perhaps I could go and see if I can find some pink on the Pink Beach!

Kat x

23. Ankit Agarwal
    May 23, 2017 / 5:44 pm

wow. the place looks so laid back relaxed an beautiful. I wish I could go there this summer