Six Reasons Why Trek America Rock

Six Reasons Why Trek America Rock

During the first half of April, I did my very first Trek America tour after reading some other bloggers posts and deciding to take the plunge. I actually booked my trip about 10 months’ before travelling and it seemed that I was the only person on my trip to do this. I had little experience with travel organizations like this having only used Exodus and Archers before, so I didn’t really know what to expect before heading out. Most of what I’d read was of big groups of 12/13 people with long drives most days; thankfully my tour wasn’t like this as there were just 5 of us booked on and being in Hawaii the longest drive was about 2.5 hours long.

Thinking about it I’m not 100% sure how I’d have coped doing one of these tours for 2-3 weeks, especially if it was purely camping (our was 4 nights camping, 2 nights in a cabin and 1 in a hostel) but that’s another thing, but my trip was pretty much perfect. Here’s why I think Trek America are great:

Your tour leader is your driver

On my previous trips, we had a separate driver and although this was probably nice for the tour leader to not have to do the drives themselves, on Trek America, it meant that if we wanted to make a detour and go somewhere ‘off tour’, or see where a particular road led we could. If we had a separate driver this probably wouldn’t have been as easy and wouldn’t have been as unique an experience.

Camping gives you a more authentic experience

So many people moan about touristy experiences and locations yet still choose hotels and hostels in the middle of the hustle and bustle, but by choosing to camp you’re heading out into the unknown and experiencing things differently. We camped on a beach for a night and woke up to the waves and a sunset, this isn’t something you’d get in the middle of a city, and being out in the middle of nowhere sometimes meant you met people you wouldn’t normally.

Camping helps you bond more

On most Trek America tours when there’s a larger group you’re split into three groups and alternate being cooking, washing up and van cleaning. Now our group didn’t do this as there were so few of us we just alternated on a daily basis (and our wonderful tour leader cooked a lot of the dinners), but by having to do these tasks yourself you bond more. Sitting down and chopping salad bits, heading to dingy places to wash dishes with only the light of a head lamp and carrying massive boxes of crockery to the van was nice as you got a chance to connect with people more than if you were going out to restaurants/ fast food chains where people may have split off into little groups.

It works out cheaper than other tour companies

As you’re camping for parts and doing a lot of the cooking yourselves it works out quite a bit cheaper than other companies. Comparing trips with other organizers the tours themselves worked out cheaper and there’s a lot less additional spends when you’re there. Trek America operate on a kitty system where you add in a fixed price per day which then goes to buy all the food you need in order to make breakfasts, packed lunches, and yummy dinners. On mainland America, this is just $10 ($15 in Hawaii), and if you were buying food yourself you’d struggle to get breakfast for this price.

You do and see a lot within your time

Trek America put a lot of effort into working out the itineraries so you get to see and experience a lot within the locations. As I said before we were fortunate to not have long drives as were just on one island and not driving across States so we managed to stop sometimes 4 or 5 times within a day out to see things, explore places, go swimming etc, and from speaking to others’ who have done other trips this is even the case on long drives. Fun activities are planning like snorkeling and hikes, and there’s plenty of relaxation time as well.

The tour leaders put in the effort

From all the people I’ve known who have done tours with Trek America, I’ve never heard a bad thing said about a tour leader. Jesse took us five girls out and despite the fact that he’d never done this tour before and had only driven around the island probably once before he really put in the effort. He spent time online searching for the best places to stop on top of our normal itinerary, looking at menu’s when we had meals out and finding answers to any questions we asked that he didn’t know. You could tell he’d looked into the island and the tour properly before starting out as he had loads of information and bits to tell us.

Have you ever been on an organized tour before?

Pin It!

Here are Six Reasons Why Trek America Rock

1. Hannah Latoya Bond
    May 30, 2017 / 10:44 am

Trek America looks great, i will definiately have to try them out

2. Donna
    May 30, 2017 / 11:15 am

This sounds like a fab idea! I love the concept – never heard of it till now. We are becoming camping addicts in our house recently x

3. Cassandra Mayers
    May 30, 2017 / 1:38 pm

I like the idea what Camping does help you to see things you haven’t seen before and gets you out of the hussle and bustle 😀

4. May 30, 2017 / 1:56 pm

This sounds like a really awesome thing to do, I have to admit I’ve not been on an organised tour before, but what an interesting way to see an area.

5. Becca Talbot
    May 30, 2017 / 4:36 pm

What a great sounding tour- seriously jealous! I actually really like doing organised tours, and have done two now in India and Egypt x

6. Madeeha
    May 30, 2017 / 6:25 pm

Wow. Sounds like an amazing experience. America is the very diverse country and such trips can provide the opportunity to experience it all

7. Mummy Times Two
    May 30, 2017 / 8:04 pm

I’ve never done anything like this, but it seems like a great way to see more of the country and to get to know your fellow travelers.

8. May 30, 2017 / 9:13 pm

I think it is a perfect amount of time because like you said you get to bond with the other travellers more xx

9. Emily Leary, A Mummy Too
    May 31, 2017 / 9:23 am

Sounds like a lovely idea! I bet I could take so many tours like this just in America alone and be blown away by how different they would be – I love that about the US!

10. Hungry_Healthy_Happy
    May 31, 2017 / 9:48 am

I always wish I did trek America when I was younger, as it looks so much fun. Sadly it’s not an options now with a 6 month old haha.

11. Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes
    May 31, 2017 / 11:44 am

A Trek America tour sounds great! I can imagine you get to see and do a lot more on an organised trip.

12. Joanna
    May 31, 2017 / 2:54 pm

Trek America sounds amazing i wish i had done something like this before I had my son.

13. Mellissa Williams
    May 31, 2017 / 4:21 pm

I haven’t been on an organised tour but have thought about booking sites like Archers and Riveria Travel. Trek America does sound good, I’m not sure if I could cope with camping though. Do they do other options? We love the US so much, I would love to go to Texas next

• June 1, 2017 / 7:44 am

They do Budget Lodging versions where you’re always in hostels/ hotels on the same trips. I’ve been through Archers before about 4 times with my family and they’re great but just a bit more expensive x

14. May 31, 2017 / 10:30 pm

I live here in the US and have never heard of this company until now! This is so cool!

15. Anosa Malanga VA
    June 1, 2017 / 3:34 am

Definitely camping is one that I look forward when I have my own family. I would love to introduce nature to my kids as part of our bonding sessions. I hope Trek America will still be there with variety of choices.

16. Jenni Grainger
    June 1, 2017 / 7:29 am

This sounds liked ke such an incredible trip, I wonder if its possible to do with children

17. June 1, 2017 / 11:21 am

I’ve never done this kind of holiday, but I’m so tempted to give it a try one year!

18. June 2, 2017 / 11:20 am

I’ve always wanted to do something like this, hopefully I can get something planned for next year x

19. June 2, 2017 / 8:02 pm

I’ve just booked my first Trek America tour in Autumn and I’m going to be heading out for three weeks on a coast to coast trip before doing another six weeks by myself. This post has made me even more excited. Your Hawaii trip looked amazing! xo

20. Elodie
    June 3, 2017 / 10:04 am

I’ve been wanting to go on a Trek America tour for years now! I’ve never done anything remotely similar or any organized tour before but I really want to. Although I’m already going to Korea for three months this year, so I should probably wait until 2018 to actually take the plunge. Ha! x

21. Thena
    June 3, 2017 / 12:42 pm

This look pretty great! Do they do this for families as well? We camp and explore a lot but this could definitely put a new spin on it for us.

22. fashion-mommy
    June 5, 2017 / 8:56 am

It sounds like a really interesting way to discover America, although I generally hate camping, but 4 nights isn’t so bad.

23. Dena Jayne
    June 5, 2017 / 9:07 am

I really want to do Trek America! I just want to travel! xo

24. Sarah L
    June 5, 2017 / 9:11 am

I would love to do Trek America! It sounds AMAZING! What a great way to discover America. Camping is always fun, too. The tour leaders sound really great, too! Fab post. xx

25. Thena
    June 13, 2017 / 12:27 pm

What a great way to explore!! We camp all the time but i could see myself really loving something like this.