Six Things You Have To Do If You Visit Paris

Eiffel Tower at night

Paris is such a beautiful place and for us in the United Kingdom – especially London – it’s a super easy place to go to for a quick weekend break with it taking just 2.5 hours on the Eurostar. I hit up the French capital twice last year and I’ve already been once this year with another one booked so it’s safe to say I’m hooked. I can’t say the cities my favourite place in Europe but there’s plenty to explore, I have a good idea of my surroundings now and it’s a nice quick trip away. Here are some of the things you have to do if you have a Parisian break:

Climb the Eiffel Tower

Yes, let’s get the most cliched thing over and done with first, the Eiffel Tower. The slightly tacky looking metal structure which sits literally in the middle of a busy Parisian roundabout and it’s one of those things that you have to do if you head over. During my longer trip last Spring I headed up both during the day and at night and it’s amazing how much changes between the two. During the day you can see for miles and spot great locations and surroundings, and during the night you can see the city lit up looking stunning. Personally, I think you should climb the Eiffel Tower if you head there as it will make the views even more deserving and while it is a long way it’s a worthwhile walk.

Take the Seine River Cruise

Paris is pretty small so you can easily walk around it but opt for a slightly different viewpoint getting on a boat and going on a cruise. There’s loads of different versions, some at night, some with food or you can opt for the standard ones which you pick up behind the Eiffel Tower where you head towards Notre Dame, circle around and come back. It’s not the longest ride but it’s a nice relaxing way to see the city especially if you’re lucky and get some nice weather.

Talk the night bus tour

There are plenty of hop on hop off buses during the day but personally, I think you can walk it all yourself/ get the metro, but the night time bus tour is definitely worth it. Over about two-hours, you’re driven around the city taking in sights such as the Opera House, Moulin Rouge, Notre Dame and more, and usually, the trip will coincide with seeing the Eiffel Tower lit up on the hour – something it does every hour during the dark. Usually by night time I’m tired after so much walking all day so I’m grateful to be sat on a bus. One thing with this is I’d suggest booking in advance – preferably before you go – as they do get pretty booked up.

Monet

Head to the Musee De L’Orangerie

Yes you can’t go to Paris without heading to the Louvre, but personally, I prefer the much smaller Musee De L’Orangie which is home to the Monet Water Lily Paintings. The queue is usually a little longer than you’d expect but that’s only because it’s so small inside. When I went I didn’t realize the Water Lily’s were not a singular painting and were, in fact, eight paintings to make the collection showing the same scene during different times of night. Alongside the Monet exhibition, there’s also another exhibition downstairs housing some Picasso paintings and other stuff which was super interesting to look around. I’d suggest heading here first thing to try and avoid the crowds/ queues.

Climb the notre dame

In Paris there’s plenty of things you can climb – The Eiffel Tower, Montneparse tower, The Arc De Triomphe etc – but one of the best views comes from Notre Dame. It’s free to head into the Cathedral which is absolutely stunning but you have to pay to climb the towers, but I’d say it’s well worth it. The walk seems like such a long time when you’re doing it because everything is spiral and there will be times where you’ll need a quick breather but the views you get from the top are amazing. The Eiffel Tower sits right in front of you and Sacre  Coeur high on the hills to your right. It truly shows you the expanse of the city and on a bright day you can see for miles.

Get ice cream from Berthillon

Yes you’re going to eat croissants and macaroons in Paris, that’s a complete given, but don’t miss out on some of the best icecream around from Berthillion. The tiny stall nestled on a line of shops behind the Notre Dame is a must visit on any trip. When I went I had a double scoop with white chocolate and dark chocolate and it was incredible, who knew white chocolate ice cream was that amazing?! It’s a little pricy with two clocking up to around ten euro’s but for a treat on a warm day you can’t knock it, especially when it tastes so amazing. You’ll just need to try it for yourself.

Have you been to Paris? What are your recommendations?

Pin It!

Here are 6 things you have to do if you visit Paris!

May 24, 2017

• Reply Cassie

Great ideas! Love a good travel post – and have always wanted to cruise down the Seine!

May 25, 2017 at 7:14 am
  • Reply Robin Rue

Visiting Paris is the top thing on my bucket list! My husband has been and keeps talking about going back, so hopefully someday we will climb the Eiffel Tower together.

May 25, 2017 at 12:05 pm
  • Reply Sona Sethi

I loved my time in Paris and if I get lucky I would love to visit again!

May 25, 2017 at 2:07 pm
  • Reply Ana De Jesus

I have never been to Paris before but I would like to! I like the idea of climbing the Nortre Dame and visiting all the museums x

May 25, 2017 at 3:58 pm
  • Reply Janel Berchielli

Oh it is a dream of mine to one day visit the city Paris. I think I would love to just go and explore the town on my own .

May 25, 2017 at 4:04 pm
  • Reply Melissa Chapman

Your guide to Paris is so well done because you know the city so well. I was there but missed the Musee De L’Orangerie but I won’t on my next trip.

May 25, 2017 at 7:13 pm
  • Reply Mai C.

Paris has always been on my list of places to go. I love that you shared this with us. I will never miss the Eiffel and that cruise as well.

May 26, 2017 at 3:04 am
  • Reply Dani

I have always wanted to go to paris but never had the chance. Still on my bucket list!

May 26, 2017 at 4:04 am
  • Reply Gareth Torrance

Taking a nightbus tour would be so cool! I wish I’d done it when I was last there

May 26, 2017 at 10:15 am
  • Reply Home and Horizon

Brilliant post – I wrote something similar – 24 hrs in Paris but if we go back, I’ll definitely be doing some of the activities you suggested – thanks.

May 26, 2017 at 10:59 am
  • Reply Helen Clark

I have been to Paris as a child so I can’t really remember it. I would love to go back, it’s been on my wishlist for a few years now. The ice-cream sounds amazing so I’ll definitely be trying that when I finally get there!

May 26, 2017 at 6:13 pm
  • Reply Rebecca

A trip to Paris is on my bucket list! I’ve been before but when I was much younger and I can’t really remember much of it – although I know I have done the Seine River cruise and I loved that. I’m not sure I’m brave enough to go up the Eiffel tower!

May 26, 2017 at 9:02 pm
  • Reply Karen Yannacio Morse

Paris is on my bucket list to see one day. And I would add all of your suggestions. Obvi the Eiffel Tower, but love that you mentioned that smaller museum. Those spots are often the most meaningful.

May 26, 2017 at 9:04 pm
  • Reply Jenny

I’d definitely recommend the Musée d’Orsay, they have an amazing collection.

May 26, 2017 at 9:42 pm
  • Reply Blythe A.

I’ve been to Paris a couple of times. On my second trip I did the canal ride and it was incredible. You actually go under the city and through the locks which is insane

May 27, 2017 at 2:48 am
  • Reply Heather

I have never been to Paris, but would love to visit. My daughter (she is 9) keeps asking if we can go and stay there for a month for our homeschool…it’s hard to say no when she frames the question that way!

May 27, 2017 at 11:05 am
  • Reply Heather

Paris would be an amazing family vacation! Our eight year old daughter has asked if we can go too.

May 27, 2017 at 1:34 pm
  • Reply Jackie

These are the things I plan to do if I ever go to Paris. It’s my dream to go and see the sites in person one day. Thanks for the recommendation and details.

Jackie | fashionxfairytale |

May 27, 2017 at 2:07 pm
  • Reply Jocelyn @ Hip Mama's Place

I have not been to Paris and I would love to visit soon. I am hoping my husband will take me next year. You are lucky that you are close enough to go there easily. Every place you mentioned sounds amazing!

May 28, 2017 at 3:22 am
  • Reply Ickle Pickle

We are in Normandy right now, but never been to Paris. I would love to go one day. Kaz

May 28, 2017 at 6:23 pm
  • Reply fashion-mommy

I love Paris and agree with all these, would also add the Opera House and Les Invalides too.

May 29, 2017 at 4:27 pm
  • Reply Maria - Tough Cookie Mommy

I imagine that taking the night tour bus is so beautiful. It is a great way to see the entire city lit up under the stars.

May 29, 2017 at 5:54 pm
  • Reply Claire Lee

omg, I’ve been wanting to go to Paris. It seems so much fun there!!! Can’t wait. Love all the photos you took! http://www.clairebearblogs.com

May 29, 2017 at 9:23 pm
  • Reply Nazma

I have been to Paris few years ago and I just fall in love with notre dame … great picture of Eiffel tower

May 30, 2017 at 12:03 pm
  • Reply Rachel Catherine

I’ve never been to Paris but would love to go someday. You’ve outlined all the places that I would really love to visit.

May 30, 2017 at 6:36 pm
  • Reply Kate Ostrom

A river cruise on the Seine should definitely be on the to-do list when in Paris. I went on a kosher cruise which took us from Paris to Normandy and it was beautiful to see the Eiffel Tower fade into a twinkling light as we left the city. Everything on board was amazing too. There was even a cookery demonstration. Normandy was equally magical. The countryside is very nostalgic and beautiful.

June 22, 2017 at 2:54 am