Ways To Update Small Outdoor Spaces

Ways To Update Small Outdoor Spaces

Now I don’t have a traditional outdoor space like a small garden or a patio, I have a balcony and to be honest, it’s an area which I really don’t take full advantage of. Considering that I have lived there 4 and a half years I’ve probably only sat out there about half a dozen times and it’s currently a mess of dirty trainers from obstacle runs and a small folding table and chairs. One of my missions of this year is to maximize the space I have across my whole flat so I can enjoy it more and my balcony is one of my summer priorities.

Considering that it’s only a balcony I have a decent amount of space out there. I used to dry my clothes out there on rails but after a spider in my underwear calamity I no longer do this, but space is more than ample to enjoy. My first priority, of course, is to clear out the stuff which sits in the corner of my space and clean up the windows and areas but then it got me thinking what I could do with space.

I’d love to get some different garden furniture out there because while the folding table and chairs is all well and good I have enough space for something more comfortable like a Rattan Sofa which would fit perfectly along the main wall at the side of my balcony. I can imagine myself sitting out there with the sliding windows open on a warm summers’ night reading a book or watching something on Netflix via my laptop. My folding table and chairs can still fit on the other side of the balcony but I’ll also have the option to fold it up to make more space.

The wall which connects my balcony to next doors balcony is pretty bare and while white does make it appear bigger I’d love to add something to this wall, I’ve been loving the idea of adding some hooks and putting some hanging plants out there like this or this, but I need to consider whether I think I could keep the plants alive (I am so bad!) Failing that I’d love to add some sort of wall art of colourful backdrop just to make the area feel a bit more homely.

I have this slightly annoying thin gap which goes down the far right side of my balcony so I want something to go here to make it feel worthwhile but I’m still searching for inspiration. I was thinking a small storage box but I don’t know what I’d store out there so if you’ve got any ideas do let me know.

One day I’d love to have a full proper garden so I can have cats and let them roam around but also to have more space so I can have water fountains that mount on the wall and decking for big garden BBQ’s.

Do you have an outdoor area/ garden? What are your must-have items out there?
This post was written in collaboration with Fishpools but all thoughts and opinions are my own

1. May 23, 2017 / 8:04 pm

I wish I had some outdoor space to call my own . While we do have a patio since it is not my own home I can’t jazz it up how I would like to x

2. Robin Rue
    May 24, 2017 / 9:46 am

We have a deck and our only real must have is a table/chairs. We like to eat outside when the weather is nice 🙂

3. Jessi Joachim
    May 24, 2017 / 3:55 pm

I have a screened in porch and right now it is so cluttered. There are kids toys and just random furniture. It is in need of a makeover!

4. Roxanne Ferber
    May 24, 2017 / 6:06 pm

No matter the size or space, a comfortable spot to sit and be alone with my thoughts is a must!

5. Karen Yannacio Morse
    May 24, 2017 / 9:20 pm

Working with small spaces can be such an incredible challenge in making the space look cozy and chic and inviting! Your outdoor area looks like a welcome retreat!

6. Marcie Wirtz Cheung
    May 24, 2017 / 10:01 pm

You mean balconies aren’t just for storing things you don’t use? Our deck could use a make-over. I’d love to soak up the afternoon sunshine in a decluttered space.

7. Amber Nelson
    May 25, 2017 / 12:59 am

what a great idea! I do have an outdoor area and I have my flowers and my outdoor furniture!

8. Kristina Pache-Ferency
    May 25, 2017 / 1:43 am

We have a deck but I’ve always wanted a house with a small balcony off the master bedroom with a cute little bistro table.

9. Dani
    May 25, 2017 / 3:48 am

These are some great tips for putting more style into our outdoor space decor and ambiance.

10. May 25, 2017 / 4:30 am

All I require in an outdoor space is a comfy chair, a side table and an umbrella. A plant would also be a great addition as long as it didn’t attract too many bugs.

11. Claire Lee
    May 25, 2017 / 5:09 am

I love decorating small spaces with lovely home items. My house has outdoor garden, and we used to plant different trees and were growing food so we could actually eat them! I think it gives a lively vibe to it. http://www.clairebearblogs.com

12. May 25, 2017 / 7:51 am

We’re currently redecorating our outdoor space so I can’t wait to be at that stage where we can get a little garden set with a table and two chairs, it’s gonna be so lovely to sit outside in the garden finally and do my work ha! x

13. Sona Sethi
    May 25, 2017 / 8:24 am

Awesome! decorating indoor and outdoor spaces is my favorite pastime. I am glad you made it a fun activity.

14. Brittany Muddamalle
    May 25, 2017 / 12:55 pm

I love the little wooden table. We have a small patio out back and I”ve been brainstorming what to do with it.

15. Mai C.
    May 25, 2017 / 2:08 pm

It’s nice to have a small space that you can spend time in especially when it’s your balcony. I think you did well in decorating it!

16. Amanda Love
    May 25, 2017 / 2:08 pm

I love it when a space at home doesn’t have much furniture or anything in it that’s bulky and takes up so much space. You can call me a minimalist, and I think the more simple the better.

17. TheNewClassy
    May 25, 2017 / 3:31 pm

We have a small deck, and it could use some TLC. We had it looking good at one time, but over the years it has gotten a little out of hand. I could use these tips for that.

18. May 25, 2017 / 9:48 pm

I have a small deck. My must-have items is a glass table (big enough to fit my family), comfortable chairs, huge deck umbrella, side glass table, small grill and lots of flowers.

19. CourtneyLynne Storms
    May 25, 2017 / 11:33 pm

Ooooo great suggestions! We have a small deck/patio area and it is definitely in need of some tender love and care that’s for sure

20. Frosted Events
    May 26, 2017 / 3:23 am

Wonderful tips for making the most of a small space! We just redid our patio and it’s now one of our favorite places to be. When the weather is nice there is nothing better than being outside and soaking up a little sunshine.

21. Kate Veggie Desserts
    May 26, 2017 / 10:19 am

Lovely suggestions. I like the idea of some wall art on a balcony. And your ‘spider in my underwear calamity’ had me in stitches. EEK!

22. May 26, 2017 / 11:34 am

Its always nice to be able to sit out and enjoy a drink or coffe on a summers evening. I would recommend maybe a trellis of some sort on the back wall and may be a couple of colourful cushions on the sofa to make it colourful nad bright.

23. Jean Standley
    May 26, 2017 / 4:49 pm

I’m really lucky to have a really decent sized garden, but really don’t make the most of it. It sounds like you’ve got some great ideas for your balcony. Its all about making use of the space we have!

24. May 26, 2017 / 7:45 pm

Great tips! I’ve seen so many awesome small spaces that actually have better storage than my entire home!