Four Of The Best TV Shows I’ve Seen Recently

TV shows

In the past six months’ or so I’ve definitely been choosing to stay in more with my other half than going out all the time, although you might not think that ready my weekly five thing posts. Something which we spend a lot of time doing is watching things from him trying to educate me in the world of movies (there are so many I haven’t seen) to us watching series together. Netflix are constantly upping their game and I’ve also watched something on Amazon Prime for the first time recently too. There are so many things still on my to watch list including Suits, Once Upon A Time, Firefly, Archer, American Horror Story, 13 Reasons Why, OA etc…. but I have started to make a dent on my list, so here are some of the best TV series I’ve watched in recent months.

Iron Fist

I know a lot of people moaned about this and said for a martial arts show it wasn’t that great and that the main characters were just good fighters as opposed to good martial artists, but I think people just like to moan. I really enjoyed the season and yes the first few episodes were a little slower but they had to be as they were introducing a new character who we hadn’t yet encountered so we needed a bit of backstory and history. If you haven’t seen it yet I don’t want to spoil too much but the subtle connections between Jessica Jones/ Daredevil/ Luke Cage was a great touch and felt like little in-jokes and the twists in the story around the Meachum’s was great.

Freaks and Geeks

The one season show come out in 1999 and features a young James Franco, Seth Rogan and Jason Segal among others. The show is set in a high school where Lindsey and her younger brother Sam attend. Sam is a bit of a geek and him and his friends are clever and absolutely hilarious, I think I actually prefer this trio to the Franco/ Rogan/ Segal trio and that’s saying something. Lindsey falls in with the dope-smoking bad boys who cut class, question the point of getting good grades and are often called the ‘freaks’. It’s only one season long which is a travesty but it’s funny in parts and a pretty easy watch, plus it’s great to see quite a lot of famous faces. I spend so much of the time being like ‘Oh where’s she from?’ or ‘I’ve definitely seen him in a TV show before’. You have been warned.

It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia

I was very late onto the Sunny bandwagon having only seen a handful of episodes before earlier this year, but somehow within about 4-5 weeks, I had watched all 11 seasons of the shows. Each episode is an easy 25-minute watch, you don’t need to pay too much attention and it’s so easy to have on while you’re doing other things, which means I got through a lot of episodes of this without feeling like I was chained to my TV. The whole show is hilarious and the bond between the characters is great with of course Danny Devito playing a fantastic role. You don’t really need to be in a particular mood to watch Sunny it’s just one of those easy watches.

Parks and Recreations

This is the one I am working my way through at the moment having started back in April. Now I do a similar thing with It’s Always Sunny because they’re short and easy to watch but on some seasons there’s about 22 episodes, but that’s a good thing as it just means more Leslie and Ron. I had read a book by Amy Poehler and read a lot about her Leslie Knope character but watching it I realize why so many people rave about it. I love the whole talking to the camera style of acting (think The Office) because it adds so much humour to the show, and the characters are fantastic. I had no idea Chris Pratt was in it and he is so funny, and I totally get the Ron Swanson love, it’s just one of those shows which always makes me laugh.

What have you been watching recently? Any recommendations?
June 11, 2017

• Reply Louise

I LOVE It’s always sunny! I think I binge watched around six seasons in one go, but there’s still quite a lot to catch up on. I drop in and out of Parks & Rec, and my brother suggested Iron Fist lately – we watched the first episode but I’d like to catch up with this too.

Currently I’m watching House of Cards and about to binge watch GoT ready for the new seasons x

June 11, 2017 at 3:09 pm
  • Reply Karen Morse

Parks and Rec has always been hilarious and I seriously love Amy’s humor. These are all fun shows to watch! I always make sure that I add some comedy into the mix of shows that I’m watching.

June 12, 2017 at 9:46 am
  • Reply Marnie Schwartz

Parks and Rec and Freaks and Geeks are 2 of my all time favorite series!!! Freaks and Geeks seems like my experience in High School when you worried about homework and zits…not about all the other horrible things that happen in school these days….

June 12, 2017 at 10:25 am
  • Reply Robin Rue

I binged Parks and Rec in about a week. I loved that show. I have never heard of the others, so I will have to check them out.

June 12, 2017 at 10:51 am
  • Reply Sona Sethi

I have not seen any of these tv shows as I am not a TV person. However, I do like watching tv series with lot of action and politics. Any recommendations?

June 12, 2017 at 12:53 pm
  • Reply Jessi Joachim

My faves lately have been Supernatural, Last Ship, Stitchers, and Designated Survivor. I watch most of them on Hulu since we don’t have cable lol

June 12, 2017 at 2:22 pm
  • Reply Dear Ash

Freaks and Geeks is seriously the best. I am in love with the little freshman, they crack me up and bring me back to those years!

Much love,
    Ashley | dearash.com

June 12, 2017 at 5:08 pm
  • Reply Janel Berchielli

Oh yes we just got done watching the iron fist. It was such a great show I am looking forward to the next season .

June 12, 2017 at 5:44 pm
  • Reply Cassie Liz

I haven’t watched the first two but parks and recs is one of my all time favourite shows for sure! I also enjoyed it’s always sunny but by about season 4-5 i think it got a bit over the top. Maybe it’s better now!

June 12, 2017 at 11:15 pm
  • Reply Kristina Pache-Ferency

Iron Fist is good and Luke Cage. I am watching Sherlock on Netflix right now. I also like Nashville, HTGAWM, and Greys when they come on.

June 13, 2017 at 12:55 am
  • Reply Jennifer at MakingOurLifeMatte

I have never watched any of these shows that you are sharing. Perhaps it is time to bite the bullet and get Netflix so I can start binge watching shows!

June 13, 2017 at 2:04 am
  • Reply Danielle

For the most part there’s always cartoons on our TV, so I don’t have any recommendations. Maybe the next time I get a chance to enjoy some TV, I’ll check out one of these.

June 13, 2017 at 2:27 am
  • Reply PrimeBeauty

I watched Jessica Jones and Daredevil. Of the two I like Jessica Jones a bit more, but I haven’t gotten into Luke Cage or Iron Fist. I did discover some great shows on Amazon like the Dorells at Corfu and Fleabag. Both worth a watch.

June 13, 2017 at 4:20 am
  • Reply Rachel Naylor

I love these sort of programs. I love Suits, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, How To Get Away with Murder. I could go on and on. I love it though when you can watch one after another on Netflix!! Great post!!

June 13, 2017 at 10:05 am
  • Reply Holly Conway

I love Parks and Rec…such a funny show! I haven’t seen the others so you have given me some ideas for ones to check out!

June 13, 2017 at 4:01 pm
  • Reply Melissa Chapman

I love parks and rec so much! Definitely one of my all time favorite sitcoms! Right now I’m binge watching orange is the new black and just finished Bloodline!

June 13, 2017 at 8:39 pm
  • Reply Ana De Jesus

I am so glad that you have started watching It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia, it is one of my favourite shows. I love the dark humor x

June 13, 2017 at 9:57 pm
  • Reply Amber Nelson

I have not seen any of these. I will have to put these on my to watch list!

June 13, 2017 at 11:16 pm
  • Reply Di Hickman

Firefly was awesome you should definitely get around to watching it. I also suggest coupling (UK version)

June 14, 2017 at 12:25 am
  • Reply Kate Veggie Desserts

I started off enjoying Iron Fist, but then got a bit bored. I loved the Paula miniseries, plus love The Leftovers, Handmaid’s Tale and looking forward to the return of GoT!

June 14, 2017 at 10:48 am
  • Reply HilLesha

Freaks and Geeks is one of my all-time favorite TV shows. Too bad it only lasted it a year!

June 14, 2017 at 12:30 pm
  • Reply Cassie Tucker

You really have been enjoying a a wide variety of shows! My husband has actually started watching Parks & Recreation because he really likes Chris Pratt from Guardians of the Galaxy.

June 14, 2017 at 2:46 pm
  • Reply Chelsea Damon

I’m so excited to watch the iron fist after we’re done catching up on the flash!

June 14, 2017 at 3:29 pm
  • Reply TheMummyToolbox

I really want to watch iron fist and I have seen some Parks and Rec but I have to admit it was Chris Pratt that inspired me to watch it :p

June 14, 2017 at 4:39 pm
  • Reply Jenny

I love Parks and Recreations but haven’t heard of the others, thanks for the recommendations!

June 14, 2017 at 6:19 pm
  • Reply Sarah (Whimsical Mumblings)

I watched Freaks & Geeks a few years ago, it’s so good isn’t it! I was DEFINITELY like that and had to keep looking up on google who everyone was! Haha

June 14, 2017 at 8:55 pm
  • Reply Brittany Muddamalle

Iron Fist has been so good! I just binge watched the whole thing and it was so good! It was the first show that my husband and I both loved!

June 15, 2017 at 12:57 am
  • Reply Rachel Catherine

I’ve never watched any of these. I hear Iron Fist is good and I would love to see it.

June 15, 2017 at 2:28 am
  • Reply Little Pickle's Mom

YES YES YES for Parks and Rec! We’re currently watching it too and it never fails to make me giggle. Bloody love Chris Pratt… and Ron Swanson!? Amazing.

June 15, 2017 at 7:47 pm
  • Reply Gareth Torrance

I’ve been meaning to watch Iron Fist! It’s on my list, right after finishing Marco Polo… But with Game of Thrones starting soon, I don’t know when I’ll get around to it, haha

June 16, 2017 at 7:02 am
  • Reply Viki Marden

These sound great, I don’t really watch a lot of telly. But I am a sucker for Dr Who x

June 16, 2017 at 8:31 am
  • Reply mydreamality

I love It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia! It’s brilliant! I have heard so much hype about Parks and Rec, so may eventually get it to it. I have been watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Bloodline, House of Cards, and I completely recommend them all.

June 16, 2017 at 10:11 am
  • Reply Tiffany MrsTee Haywood

Iron Fist!!! I’m stalking Netflix for new episodes daily. . . I love all things Marvel! 🙂

June 18, 2017 at 1:36 am
  • Reply Helen Clark

I’ve not actually seen any of these shows! I’ll have to look them up as they all sound good. I’ve been binge watching the new Orange in the New Black season recently.

June 20, 2017 at 6:07 am