Four Reasons To Go To Music Shows Outside Of The UK

Image taken by the wonderful Matt Higgs

Now there’s no hiding the fact that I love travelling and making a trip outside of the UK is one of my favourite things to do, now mix that in with music and you’ve got a trip right up my street. I’ve been to Amsterdam on two seperate occassions for shows – Once for Bring Me The Horizon and the other for The Weeknd – and I’ve been to Paris to see both Good Charlotte and Simple Plan. I’ve hopped on planes to Belfast and Dublin for shows and I even went to Warped Tour in New York last summer, tailoring my trip around this. I am a firm believer that going to shows outside of the UK makes them even more special and here’s why.

There’s a totally different atmosphere

I find shows outside the UK feel totally different, sometimes that’s because you can hear people chattering in different languages, it could be the experience of exploring a new venue or it could simply by a band acting differently to cater for their crowd. For example when Simple Plan hit Paris recently they spoke the majority of the time in French as they’re from the French side of Canada and while I had no idea what was going on a lot of the time it was such a cool experience and something I’d never get at home.

It’s a chance to explore a new country

Tying in a show with a holiday means you can get two things you love, see a band you want to see and get time to see a new country. When I went to Amsterdam to see The Weeknd I got the chance to see an incredible act but also spend three days really getting to know the city and falling in love, and chances are if my friend hadn’t wanted to go to the show I may not have gotten to go there at that time.

Image taken by the wonderful Matt Higgs

The support slots tend to be good

Many acts take different support artists on tour in mainland Europe than they do in the UK for a variety of reasons. Sometimes an act might be too big to support the act in the UK but they’re less known in Europe so head along. When I went to see Good Charlotte they had Sleeping With Sirens, State Champs and Issues support them and this would never have happened in the UK at the same time as the support bands are just too big.

It’s your chance to see big UK bands play smaller shows

Much like the support slot situation some UK bands might be big in the UK but may not have broken mainland Europe or America so this is your chance to see a band play a show you’d never see at home. When I went to Groezrock in Belgium I saw Caliban sub for a headliner and play a huge set with an amazing backdrop but a week later in the UK they played first on a small stage, and vice versa I saw a band headlining a stage at Slamdunk Festival in the UK play at 3pm on a tiny stage in Belgium.

Would you ever consider going abroad for a show?
June 23, 2017

• Reply LaaLaa Monroe

Yes I would. I agree with the last point too. Would be more intimate and in a different vibe.

June 23, 2017 at 8:13 pm
  • Reply Ky Holbrook

I once went to Germany for Rock Am Ring which was amazing. Definitely a whole different vibe and atmosphere to UK festivals. I would definitely go and see bands abroad, especially if they weren’t coming to the UK for a while.

June 23, 2017 at 9:50 pm
  • Reply Samantha Bye

Absolutely agree. I saw Damien Marley in Budapest last year and it was incredible x

June 23, 2017 at 10:25 pm
  • Reply Melanie

I love the ideal of mixing up music and travels, best of both and a fab experience 🙂 x

June 25, 2017 at 9:51 am
  • Reply nikkiann

I love gigs (I’ve been to 2 already this month and I’ve got one more on Monday!) and I’ve love to go to one abroad. Well, actually, I nearly did get to go to one abroad. Back in the late 90s, I travelled to Paris to see Robbie Williams in concert, only for him to get ill and the whole tour cancelled at the last minute. Still, I had a nice trip to Paris, even if I didn’t get to see the concert!

June 25, 2017 at 2:01 pm
  • Reply Nicol Wong

i went to one in budapest last year and i do agree that it was a different atmosphere. i loved being there and wish it never ended

June 25, 2017 at 7:20 pm
  • Reply Lilinha Espindula

I’ve never thought about going abroad for a show but it’s a great idea! 🙂

June 25, 2017 at 8:06 pm
  • Reply Emily

Good thinking, I bet music shows are an excellent way to get a taste of a new country!

June 25, 2017 at 8:41 pm
  • Reply Lauretta

I haven’t been to a concert in donkeys years but I remember the atmosphere being electric!

June 25, 2017 at 10:54 pm
  • Reply Clarissa

I’d like to try but with two kiddies won’t be until there much older or the youngest is older! fab idea though !!

June 26, 2017 at 7:50 am
  • Reply Francesca Nelson

This sounds fab I have to be honest I’ve never thought of seeing a music concert in another country before!

June 26, 2017 at 8:27 am
  • Reply Stephanie Merry

I’ve never thought of heading abroad to see a show, but I love the idea of getting to see a big UK act in a smaller venue x

June 26, 2017 at 8:28 am
  • Reply Sarah Ann

I’ve never been to a festival outside the UK but I’ve always wanted to, I’ve heard how amazing they are and I’d love to combine a festival with a chance to explore a new place.

June 26, 2017 at 11:55 am
  • Reply Donna

If i didn’t have kids i would be doing far more of this. Until then i can live vicariously through you – yes!?

June 26, 2017 at 2:36 pm
  • Reply mydreamality

It makes perfect sense now that you explained it! I am not really a festival type (as I hate the entire messy (mud, rain, sweat, etc) situation) but I know my sister would love to go to shows all over Europe so will share this with her.

June 26, 2017 at 2:52 pm
  • Reply Leslie Hernandez

I haven’t been to a music festival in years! The few I attended were fun and you always have a good time with friends. Maybe Ill see if I can go to one here in NYC if there are any happening this summer.

June 26, 2017 at 8:38 pm
  • Reply Amanda-Jaied Wathern

I would love to travel for music shows! I always think everything is much more fun and relaxed on the continent if that makes sense, so reckon seeing an artist might be a totally different experience like you said. Plus nobody ever comes to Aberdeen so if I have to travel I might as well do it right haha xx

June 26, 2017 at 9:11 pm
  • Reply Tanya Brannan

Wow! I have never thought about doing this before, but it sounds like a cracking idea. I might have to integrate this into my 50 bucket list!!

June 26, 2017 at 9:56 pm
  • Reply Angela Ricardo Bethea

I totally agree! This music festival sounds really fun and exciting. I would love to go to one of these.

June 26, 2017 at 10:04 pm
  • Reply Baby Isabella

My folks have travelled to Belfast and Wales to see shows and it’s much cheaper than London gigs but never traveled to Europe or further afield. Great idea!

June 26, 2017 at 10:20 pm
  • Reply Mellissa Williams

I went to the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville. It was fabulous! Interesting show as it’s the longest running live music show on radio. They actually have adverts in the middle of the show, someone comes on and talks about Cracker Barrel 😉

June 27, 2017 at 9:44 am
  • Reply Hayley

I’ve never been abroad for a gig, but I did go and see Sleeping With Sirens when I was in Amsterdam as they’re my friend’s favourite band. It was definitely a different experience and I would like to do it again!

June 27, 2017 at 10:12 am
  • Reply Rhiannon D'Averc

I’ve never been brave enough to go see someone abroad – there was a gig in Paris a few years back that I chickened out of getting a ticket for as I had no one who wanted to go with me!

June 29, 2017 at 6:17 pm
  • Reply Nayna Kanabar

I have never been to a music festival so don’t really know what to expect, however going abroad must be more exciting due to a different culture and people that attend.

June 29, 2017 at 7:38 pm
  • Reply Deborah Nicholas

I have never been to an outdoor festival but have been to a few concerts – i bet the whole atmosphere is amazing!

July 2, 2017 at 6:28 pm
  • Reply Carolynne @ Mummy Endeavours

Ooh I probably wouldn’t consider doing this, but definitely would give it more thought and like you say, it;s a great way to see another country x

July 4, 2017 at 12:16 pm