The Real Cost Of Holiday Essentials

The Real Cost Of Holiday Essentials

Whenever I think about going on holiday be it abroad or in the UK one of the things which fills me with joy is going shopping for new clothes and things to take with me, but all of these things can really add up especially when you’re looking at things like technology like adapters and chargers, and clothing which you wouldn’t own living in the not so tropical UK.

Holiday Gems contacted me and challenged me to purchase as many of my holiday essentials as possible for £50, now this amount might seem like quite a lot of money but how far does it stretch when it comes to buying for your holiday? Here’s what I picked up which are absolute essentials for any trip away.

Holiday Essentials Sandals

The first thing I did was buy a pair of sandals because I don’t tend to wear anything open in the UK but when the wonderful weather started to kick in last week I felt I was in need one one. This tan pair from House of Fraser only cost £15 and they’re so comfortable I know I could walk around in the heat with them for quite a while. Next to make it onto my essentials list was a pair of sunglasses from New Look because you can not go anywhere without a pair of sunglasses otherwise you will spend your whole trip squinting. This pair are pretty plain but at £8 they’ll do a great job and at the moment they’re a permanent addition to my handbag.

Holiday Essentials Sunglasses

While I was in New Look I picked up this stunning chiffon hemmed skirt for just £12 which is the perfect item for the summer evenings. It can be quite easy to pick up your daytime essentials like vest tops, cotton shorts and kaftan beach coverups in places like Primark but I find decent evening clothing to be harder to come by. This skirt is light and flowy so it won’t get too hot in the summer.

Next stop was Boots for the toiletry essentials which you couldn’t be without, there’s almost always three for two offer’s on the minis which can be great when you’re heading away for a few days and don’t want to lug large bottles, or you’re travelling as hand luggage only so are limited on liquid space. I picked up toothpaste, deodorant, and shampoo which are the essentials everyone will need for a trip away. Next up it was a mini Garnier Micellar Water, as even though I don’t wear much makeup when it’s warm and I’m away this will pick up whatever I do wear alongside cleansing my skin. These small essentials came in at just over £3, what a bargain!

Holiday Essentials Toiletries

While I was in Boots I had to pick up the ultimate holiday essentials some sun tan cream for the heat and some Aloe Vera after sun gel for the inevitable burn that I get at some point. These are two of the most important things to take away as protecting your skin is so important, and if you are unfortunate like me to get burnt then after sun gel will be your best friend to ease the redness and any discomfort. These two only cost £7.50 which is a small price for such an important pair.

Holiday Essentials Suntan

The final thing I picked up was a magazine from my local WHSmith as when you’re hanging around the airport or sitting in your transfer something to read is so important. I would always have a paperback book (or 3) on hand for a holiday as well as they’re perfect for on the plane, lounging on the beach and before you drift off to sleep.

What are your holiday essentials?

*Holiday Gems provided me with a Love2Shop voucher but all thoughts and opinions are my own

1. June 23, 2017 / 6:14 pm

All these for £50? You pretty much have everything covered here, girl! I also love the sandals and the sunnies! You won’t be beach ready without those plus products to help take care of your skin.

2. June 23, 2017 / 6:21 pm

Perfect timing! I have a trip coming up and I didn’t have a few of these items on my list of things to grab. I love that you got all this for £50, it gets expensive picking up essentials sometimes.

3. June 23, 2017 / 7:04 pm

Aloe gel, sunscreen, breezy tops, cool shades, and we are ready for summer. Oh, and I love the new round beach towels.

4. Brandi Puga
    June 23, 2017 / 8:58 pm

Trips can be so expensive! But these are must have when going away from home for any length of time, especially with kids1

5. SavvyMomNYC - Ker
    June 24, 2017 / 2:11 am

It looks like you picked up some great summer essentials. I love getting new sandals and sunglasses to kick summer off.

6. hzajac13
    June 24, 2017 / 2:27 am

It looks like you picked some really fun items. I would love the opportunity to go somewhere. I don’t get to do much traveling with two toddlers.

7. Ali Gilbert
    June 24, 2017 / 3:06 am

Garnier Micellar Water looks really cool to travel with. And I always need tips on sunscreen and aloe so this is great!

8. TheMummyToolbox
    June 24, 2017 / 11:41 am

sounds like some amazing essentials, I love the little minis of everything haha they are so cute and luckily always on offer!

9. Frosted Events
    June 25, 2017 / 5:23 am

I’m dying for a vacation! We are so overdue, but we’ve just moved into a new house so we have our hands full. One of my favorite things to do before vacay though is make a list of essentials and shop for new things. I love your round-up

10. Heather Staggs Garcia
    June 25, 2017 / 3:09 pm

Great pics for a perfect vacation! I have used that Banana Boat Aloe Vera for years and it truly is a life saver for those times that you get a little more sun than you realized you were getting!

11. June 25, 2017 / 8:58 pm

Comfy shoes are essential for a holiday. I also make sure to bring hand cream, band-aids, and sunscreen.

12. June 25, 2017 / 11:00 pm

I love your sandals! We visit the same California beach town every summer and I feel like I have packing for that trip down to an art now. Basically a swimsuit, sandals, sunscreen and hat – I’m ready for vacation!

13. TheNewClassy
    June 26, 2017 / 12:11 am

You just never realize how much it costs to go on a trip. More than the cost of an airline ticket or a car, it’s the little things like toothpaste and deodorant that add up. If you can stockpile those, you save so much money.

14. June 26, 2017 / 1:05 am

Looks like you got some great items for your trip! My newest vacation essential is a parasol. Yep. I know it sounds crazy (or at least a little eccentric) but for the first time in forever, I have been able to avoid getting burned.

15. Amanda Love
    June 26, 2017 / 2:33 pm

This is amazing! Can’t believe you got all that for £50. I really like the sandals! They’re perfect for my maxi dresses this summer.

16. Donna
    June 27, 2017 / 9:09 am

I make sure I pack loads of stuff for my holiday because its just so expensive abroad. Sandals that you can walk in in the heat are my most important buy!

17. FussFreeJen
    June 27, 2017 / 1:22 pm

I quite like shopping for holidays, getting those things you wouldn’t normally buy, something a little different or special. I haven’t been abroad in years, but still like to plan properly, even for a short break in The UK. I like to make sure I have some decent toiletries, the essential sunglasses (have to be avatars), and a new outfit is a must.

18. June 27, 2017 / 8:00 pm

Great selection of items. All of them are essentials in my book! We are planning our holiday tonight so will remember to add these to our packing list!

19. June 27, 2017 / 8:00 pm

It soon adds up but I think when it’s for holiday it doesn’t really count. I always save up extra for essentials or buy my essentials when I get there as holiday money totally doesn’t count as real money. I know i spent 50 euros ever time i went in H&M last week on essentials!!!

20. leandra bramham
    June 28, 2017 / 5:40 am

You did well to get all that for £50! Those sandals are gorgeous!

We’re not off on holiday until later in the year but I might try and challenge myself to £50 on essentials too! X

21. Erica Price
    June 28, 2017 / 9:39 am

I’m impressed with what you managed to find for £50. I’m right with you on the sunglasses – I hate looking into glare.

22. June 28, 2017 / 11:00 am

You managed to buy a lot for £50, wow. It’s exciting to buy holiday essentials, isn’t it?

23. June 28, 2017 / 4:48 pm

I am surprised you managed to buy so many clothing items with your budget I am impressed. Those sandals are super cute x

24. June 29, 2017 / 1:21 am

These are some great finds considering the amount of money that you spent. It’s a great way to prepare for holiday gift giving.

25. Amy Deverson
    June 29, 2017 / 10:59 am

I love those sandals! Aloe Vera gel is an absolute must for holidays for me – it is so soothing and hydrating for your skin.

26. KGR
    June 29, 2017 / 12:31 pm

I like the mini toiletries they came in handy whilst I was in hospital. I think as long as you have a good book, light clothes and sun cream you can’t go wrong.

27. July 4, 2017 / 8:02 am

I adore holiday shopping. We have some Aloe away with us at the minute. Such a great product. Loving the shoes, so me x

28. July 30, 2017 / 9:56 am

This was a lovely post- shopping for all the mini’s is one of my favourite parts of going on holiday haha 🙂