Three Alternative Ways To Get Active

copenhagen skatepark

I’m all one for trying to get active but sometimes the thought of getting out of bed an hour early just to go to the gym isn’t a nice idea. And the thought of going for a run fills me with dread as running just isn’t my idea of a good workout. I’ve been trying to push myself to walk more, to begin with but recently I’ve been thinking more about alternative ways to stay active and here are some of my top picks.

Pole Dancing

A few of my close friends do pole dancing and it’s always something I’ve loved the idea of doing because it would improve flexibility along with helping with my core strength but I know currently I have two issues putting me off; A, I’m not comfortable at my size wearing shorts and vest tops which is what you wear for classes so I know I want to lose some weight first to feel comfortable in myself, and B, I have zero upper body strength which is a key part of pole dancing. Pole dancing classes are popping up everywhere now and I know there’s a few local to me so it’s definitely something to try in the future.

skateboard art

Skateboarding

Now skateboarding is something I’ve wanted to try out for years, and there have been so many times when I’ve been tempted to just buy a skateboard and see how long I can balance on it. When I was a teenager I’d hang out at the skate park because it was cool to do so, and the flat I now live in is just opposite the same skate park so I’m always watching kids jumping around on their skateboards and it’s something I’d love to be able to myself.

Trampoline Parks

Now this is something I have experienced and they’re so much fun. I went to a park for my birthday earlier this year in a bid to feel like a kid again and it worked as I was jumping from trampoline to trampoline and bouncing off walls. While I was jumping around I didn’t realize how much I was working and it wasn’t until I stopped for a moment that I realized I was a little out of breath and my heart was beating like crazy, it just goes to show exercise can be fun. I desperately want to go back to one again and have more fun jumping around.

What alternative ways to keep fit do you adopt?

*This post was written in collaboration with Skatehunt but all thoughts and opinions are my own

June 28, 2017

• Reply Robin Rue

Trampoline parks are awesome! And it’s a GREAT workout. I have done it with my kids a few times and I got an awesome workout.

June 28, 2017 at 2:06 pm
  • Reply Meileilan

This is so fun. I honestly tried going to a pole dancing class. But after seeing how all the ladies can do all the moves. I was just stunned! so i told my instructor that i have to go to the bathroom but instead sneak out and left. Just got so intimidated, But reading this i think i will give it another try,. 🙂

June 28, 2017 at 2:08 pm
  • Reply Allison Lancaster

These are such fun ways to get active! I love the idea of a trampoline park, a great way to get active and have fun with the entire family or even for a girl’s night out.

June 28, 2017 at 2:50 pm
  • Reply Terri Steffes

Pole dancing: not for me. Skateboarding: I’d love to try. Something else: Roller Derby. Ha! I don’t think I would do any of them exceptionally well.

June 28, 2017 at 8:17 pm
  • Reply Cassie Liz

I love trampoline parks but gosh they hurt my back!! My partner and I have visited one near us a few times and every single time the next day our backs are out haha. Too busy trying to do tricks!

June 28, 2017 at 9:18 pm
  • Reply Andrea Broom

these are all such fun ideas. i have always wanted to have a trampoline. I’m sure the fact that i live in an apt doesn’t make it easier for me to have one. i tried pole classes for fun with some friends. and skate boarding not my thing at all.

June 28, 2017 at 10:50 pm
  • Reply Karen Morse

I think finding a sport that you like is also a nice way to be more active. These are nice ideas though, I have always been curious about pole dancing as a workout. It seems like a lot of fun!

June 28, 2017 at 11:20 pm
  • Reply Amber Nelson

These are such fun ideas! This would make working out seem less like a chore.

June 28, 2017 at 11:56 pm
  • Reply Kristina Pache-Ferency

We do have a few trampoline parks here and I would love to do those someday. Pole dancing would be fun too! I try to squeeze a work out in when the kiddos are down for bed.

June 29, 2017 at 12:04 am
  • Reply Erica

I always struggle with upper body strength but I did pole dancing and it was such great exercise. I stuck with it because my friends kept telling me how toned I was looking once I got started. And of course, my upper body strength did get better. You should try it!

June 29, 2017 at 4:01 am
  • Reply Jean Standley

These are great ideas! I used to go trampolining weekly and loved it, it’s such a fun way to stay active. I would also love to try pole dancing too, maybe one day if I ever feel brave enough!

June 29, 2017 at 5:06 pm
  • Reply Heather

Running around after my kids is about the best I do right now! But, I definitely love a trampoline park – those are absolutely amazing and so much fun for everyone!

June 29, 2017 at 10:34 pm
  • Reply PrimeBeauty

I’ve been to “jumpy” places for kids’ parties and they look like so much fun. I’ve seen several adults try some of the activities, only to wipe out. I haven’t really found any alternative ways to stay fit, but pole dancing does sound fun.

June 30, 2017 at 12:12 am
  • Reply Heather

We just took our kids to a trampoline park on Father’s Day. The next day I was so sore! It definitely was a great workout!!

June 30, 2017 at 1:03 am
  • Reply Anvita - TheBellyRulesTheMind

You ideas sound fun, however I go to the gym. It;s important to stay active and one should do whatever makes them happy and motivated to stay active

June 30, 2017 at 3:24 am
  • Reply Kara

Our local trampoline park does fitness classes but sadly they are at times that don’t work for me

June 30, 2017 at 7:26 am
  • Reply Helen Clark

I’d love to try pole dancing but haven’t for the same reasons as you! I just don’t think swinging around in shorts and a vest is my most flattering look! I don’t really do any alternative ways of keeping fit just the gym and walking as much as possible.

June 30, 2017 at 9:22 am
  • Reply Nayna Kanabar

Wonderful activities,I can’t say I have tried any of them as not sure I could do any of them. The trampolining sounds like most fun.

June 30, 2017 at 9:38 am
  • Reply Natasha

I am really a bit curious about pole dancing! Could anybody just do it? Like if you really don’t have talent in dancing, could you still manage to do it? I really wanna try but I am kinda afraid, it seems that I cannot do it but I really love to try!

June 30, 2017 at 10:34 am
  • Reply Carla

I used to skate when I was younger but I don’t think my kids would appreciate me rocking out a skateboard these days!

June 30, 2017 at 2:41 pm
  • Reply Louise

I’ve always wanted to learn how to skateboard! I had a skateboard when I was younger but was never very good at it. I’d definitely recommend pole dancing – I had the same worries as you before I began but they soon disappear. Sometimes I still worry a bit about my wobbly thighs but once you get into it, it doesn’t even cross your mind. And I have no upper arm strength whatsoever – neither did any of the girls in my class. That comes with practice and you could always ask your instructor for some tips on how to strengthen up.

Have you tried poundfit? I think you’d love that! x

June 30, 2017 at 3:27 pm
  • Reply Jeanine @ sixtimemommy.com

My kids are constantly asking to go to a trampoline park one of my girls went to for a birthday party. I think it would be so much fun as a family!

June 30, 2017 at 4:00 pm
  • Reply Amanda Love

I could never learn how to skateboard! I have a chance at pole dancing though, I’ve always been curious anyway. Trampoline parks sound so FUN! I’m sure it’s a great way to take the stress away too.

June 30, 2017 at 5:33 pm
  • Reply Steph

I could never get to grips with skateboarding when I was younger. I just used to site on mine and roll myself down small hill! These are great ideas and more fun than more traditional ways of being aactive x

June 30, 2017 at 7:02 pm
  • Reply Brittany Muddamalle

My kids have just been asking to go to a fun trampoline place! We have one in our backyard, but I would love to go somewhere where we can all have fun!

June 30, 2017 at 7:13 pm
  • Reply Cassie Tucker

A trampoline park sounds like it would be a blast! I could totally get active that way.

June 30, 2017 at 11:27 pm
  • Reply TheNewClassy

I think I would like a trampoline park. I have never seen one personally, but it sounds like a lot of fun!

July 1, 2017 at 12:59 am
  • Reply Renée ♥ The Good Hearted Woman

My kids love the trampoline park, but I am so not coordinated enough for any of these. I prefer swimming for exercise. It’s great workout, easy on my joints, and I don’t come out of it feeling like I’m going to die.

July 1, 2017 at 2:01 am
  • Reply Lauretta

I have friends doing pole dancing and they have really good feedback about it. I guess it’ll test your flexibility.

July 1, 2017 at 5:17 am
  • Reply Whitney | AfroMermaidBlog.com

I’ve tried pole dancing before and oh my gosh my core was doing all sorts :’) I would love to learn how to skateboard one day

July 1, 2017 at 7:27 am
  • Reply BRAND AND BEAUTY

I never thought about going for pole dancing classes, that sounds like really fun! I always go for a mountain bike ride that helps me stay fit! – Celia x

July 4, 2017 at 9:01 am