Other than writing posts, scheduling them and taking part in some blogging threads I didn’t actually do very much to promote my blog/ build a following. Now working full time means I can’t put as much energy into maximizing my blog as I’d like but I try to manage my time most effectively whenever I can. Over the past 4-6 weeks I’ve been trying to make active changes to my blogging strategy and for once made some goals. I know for most numbers aren’t what’s important and while I know they’re not they’re a good way to view growth for me.
Be active more on Twitter
I used to use a plugin which tweeted out when I had a new post, just the once and that was it. I’d use the site to occasionally tweet brands when I had bad experience or to reply to a tag but that was about it. Over the past month, I have been trying to be more active across the channel by doing 3 main things:
- Scheduling more than one tweet per blog post. I have been doing these in advance and plugging a particular post about 3-4 times over a 24 hour period. I don’t want to annoy people with too many tweets all at once so this was a good stepping stone for me.
- Utilizing RT accounts and hashtags so that even more people see my new blog posts.
- Actually tweeting/ replying to people. I follow quite a lot of accounts (I need to do a clear out soon) so viewing tweets can be pretty tricky but I’m trying to make an effort to browse for a bit a few times a day and actually speak to people. I know some bloggers say that they met close friends through blogging and Twitter and I’d love to do the same.
Currently I’m sitting a few followers over 5,000 but this fluxuates so often and hasn’t really moved much at all this year so my hope is just to grow by the end of the year. If I can hit 5,500 I’d be happy.
Maximize hashtags on Instagram
While I’ve scheduled Instagram posts for a little while I wasn’t making the most of the hashtags and this is something I still need to properly get on board with. I have some hashtags which I use on every post but each one will be unique depending on what the image is but I have no idea if the one’s I’m using are even popular enough to get looked at. Sometimes I’d even forget to use a hashtag at all so this is a bit of an ongoing battle.
I’m currently sitting on around 3,100 followers at the moment after some higher growth the past 2 month’s from increased interaction and some (not all) posts being hashtaged. By the end of the year I’d love to get this figure to 4,000.
I used Stumbleupon sporadically for a few weeks a year or so ago, had some alright views then never went back to it but I know it’s a good source of traffic so it’s something I want to revisit. I am trying to set myself a small goal, to begin with of spending just half an hour each week stumbling my previous week’s posts alongside some other awesome bloggers work. I don’t know how much traffic this will bring me but even just getting in front of a few extra readers who enjoy my blog will make me happy.
Edit/ customize my layout for maximum effect
I am never quite happy with my blog layout so over the past month I’ve made some alterations to my blog in a hope to make it more user-friendly but also to drive people to discover more of my blog posts when they do come and visit. So far I have:
- Made travel sub-categories so now as well as just viewing all of my travel content you can go directly to posts about London, European destinations or view all my tips/ hacks in one place. I’m hoping this will ensure readers see exactly the kind of things they’re looking for.
- Adding a sidebar widget with my latest posts. I have a related posts widget right at the bottom but I now have one in my side-bar with my latest posts which have a small image alongside them. I know when I head to other’s sites I’ll generally read a post and then browse around if something else takes my fancy so I’m hoping others will do the same with me.