Four Ways I’m Hoping To Push My Blog With Clearer Objectives

Blogging

Other than writing posts, scheduling them and taking part in some blogging threads I didn’t actually do very much to promote my blog/ build a following. Now working full time means I can’t put as much energy into maximizing my blog as I’d like but I try to manage my time most effectively whenever I can. Over the past 4-6 weeks I’ve been trying to make active changes to my blogging strategy and for once made some goals. I know for most numbers aren’t what’s important and while I know they’re not they’re a good way to view growth for me.

Be active more on Twitter

I used to use a plugin which tweeted out when I had a new post, just the once and that was it. I’d use the site to occasionally tweet brands when I had bad experience or to reply to a tag but that was about it. Over the past month, I have been trying to be more active across the channel by doing 3 main things:

• Scheduling more than one tweet per blog post. I have been doing these in advance and plugging a particular post about 3-4 times over a 24 hour period. I don’t want to annoy people with too many tweets all at once so this was a good stepping stone for me.
  • Utilizing RT accounts and hashtags so that even more people see my new blog posts.
  • Actually tweeting/ replying to people. I follow quite a lot of accounts (I need to do a clear out soon) so viewing tweets can be pretty tricky but I’m trying to make an effort to browse for a bit a few times a day and actually speak to people. I know some bloggers say that they met close friends through blogging and Twitter and I’d love to do the same.

Currently I’m sitting a few followers over 5,000 but this fluxuates so often and hasn’t really moved much at all this year so my hope is just to grow by the end of the year. If I can hit 5,500 I’d be happy.

Desk

Maximize hashtags on Instagram

While I’ve scheduled Instagram posts for a little while I wasn’t making the most of the hashtags and this is something I still need to properly get on board with. I have some hashtags which I use on every post but each one will be unique depending on what the image is but I have no idea if the one’s I’m using are even popular enough to get looked at. Sometimes I’d even forget to use a hashtag at all so this is a bit of an ongoing battle.

I’m currently sitting on around 3,100 followers at the moment after some higher growth the past 2 month’s from increased interaction and some (not all) posts being hashtaged. By the end of the year I’d love to get this figure to 4,000.

Use Stumbleupon

I used Stumbleupon sporadically for a few weeks a year or so ago, had some alright views then never went back to it but I know it’s a good source of traffic so it’s something I want to revisit. I am trying to set myself a small goal, to begin with of spending just half an hour each week stumbling my previous week’s posts alongside some other awesome bloggers work. I don’t know how much traffic this will bring me but even just getting in front of a few extra readers who enjoy my blog will make me happy.

Edit/ customize my layout for maximum effect

I am never quite happy with my blog layout so over the past month I’ve made some alterations to my blog in a hope to make it more user-friendly but also to drive people to discover more of my blog posts when they do come and visit. So far I have:

• Made travel sub-categories so now as well as just viewing all of my travel content you can go directly to posts about London, European destinations or view all my tips/ hacks in one place. I’m hoping this will ensure readers see exactly the kind of things they’re looking for.
  • Adding a sidebar widget with my latest posts. I have a related posts widget right at the bottom but I now have one in my side-bar with my latest posts which have a small image alongside them. I know when I head to other’s sites I’ll generally read a post and then browse around if something else takes my fancy so I’m hoping others will do the same with me.
What goals do you have?
July 27, 2017

• Reply Ana De Jesus

I want to start using Stumbleupon but it confuses me and I don’t know how to use it. You have an amazing following on Twitter. I too have learned to be more active and within a few months I went from 700- 1800 + followers which is great! x

July 27, 2017 at 7:21 pm
  • Reply Nayna Kanabar

This is a useful post and like you I work full time so its hard finding time to share the blog posts on every platform.

July 27, 2017 at 8:47 pm
  • Reply mydreamality

These are brilliant tips. I am like you and mostly just schedule posts in advance, and use threads to promote but haven’t truly been using the other resources such as Twitter and SU. My goals are similar to yours I suppose, especially cultivating relationships on Twitter. x

July 28, 2017 at 10:32 am
  • Reply Sarah Bailey

Good luck on bringing all your ideas into reality, I need to get better at social media – I neglect it a lot I have to admit.

July 28, 2017 at 12:17 pm
  • Reply EG Green

Posts like this are really motivating. No matter what stage in the game we happen to be in we are constantly learning. For me, I’m just hoping to become more consistent with my posts and social media strategy.

July 28, 2017 at 1:45 pm
  • Reply Connor Silver

Good luck with this Rhian. I plan to utilise them more too. I prefer Pinterest, as it’s been a great source for driving traffic to our blogs 🙂

July 28, 2017 at 1:51 pm
  • Reply Jenny

It’s good to have blog goals, although I admit I don’t have any! Be careful with SU, I think it might be frowned upon to stumble too many of your own posts.

July 28, 2017 at 2:08 pm
  • Reply Ellie Scotch & Stilettos

I’ve always wondered about what stumbleupon is, I’ve never used it before but i see it in groups. Twitter is where I fall down, I don’t know how to use it effectively so I just randomly tweet my latest posts on there. Great ideas for pushing your blogging forward!

July 28, 2017 at 2:13 pm
  • Reply Joanna

I don’t believe in StumbleUpon, it’s always traffic that raises the bounce rate. I would not rely or bother with it. I would like to get into Twitter more but I don’t really understand it that well. I can’t express myself in only 140 characters 🙂

July 28, 2017 at 4:14 pm
  • Reply Katie Kinsley

I am not too active on twitter at the moment. It is the platform i use the most at work and ususally get tired.

July 28, 2017 at 7:41 pm
  • Reply Claire Lee

I still need to go along with stumbleupon. I only made an account but I am not sure! I am currently loving twitter though! I always thought twitter was difficult.

July 28, 2017 at 9:10 pm
  • Reply Liza Perry

Twitter is also something I need to focus more, Facebook too! We often focus on one platform more than another.

July 28, 2017 at 9:20 pm
  • Reply Nay Mattis

Oh this is interesting as I’m thinking about setting more specific goals for growing my blog. I love Instagram but rarely use twitter and maybe I should look at using it too.

July 29, 2017 at 7:49 am
  • Reply kathryn Maher

Yes reading your points above I’d say I’m very similar to you when it comes to growing my blog. I post ,then market my blog in threads etc but seem to be a bit tied to not doing anything more pro active than that. I need to be more aware of other platforms etc in which to promote it.

July 29, 2017 at 9:16 am
  • Reply Jazmin Williams

Great plan – it’s inspired me to get back on the ball!

July 29, 2017 at 1:29 pm
  • Reply Hal Yusuf

thats the spirit!!…get on it like a stereophonic – but we all should be patient especially us newbies

July 29, 2017 at 1:41 pm
  • Reply Kacie Morgan

Love these tips! I recently began using Stumble Upon and I get a fair bit of traffic from it.

July 29, 2017 at 1:51 pm
  • Reply BestiesNotepad

Have never used Stumble Upon..that adds one more in my social media list

July 29, 2017 at 3:17 pm
  • Reply Chelf Chelfdom

I’ve had the same xperience with stumble upon , I tried it and I need to get back to it sooner or later. Thank you for all the great tips! Cheers to growing organically!

July 29, 2017 at 4:34 pm
  • Reply Via Bella

I try not to overdo Twitter but I didn’t realise you should tweet 4x a day. I am going to try that now– thanks!
    ~ http://viabella-thebeautifullife.blogspot.com/

July 29, 2017 at 6:12 pm
  • Reply militaryfamof8

Great post. Bloggers will surely get motivated upon reading this. Thanks.

July 30, 2017 at 3:04 am
  • Reply militaryfamof8

Bloggers will surely get motivated upon reading this. I am more focusing in twitter and pinterest too. Thanks for this tips.

July 30, 2017 at 3:05 am
  • Reply Alison Rost

Great tips! I’ve found it’s hard to be as effective as I need to be on all of the different platforms, and have really had to pick and choose where to put my efforts. I too have been focusing on Instagram hash tags as of late. They can really make a difference. x

July 30, 2017 at 4:00 am
  • Reply FussFreeJen

I think being involved in the sharing platforms is really important. You soon find things moving along nicely if you can keep it up. At the moment, my blog work is for Helen. I found that life got too busy for me to keep up with blog writing myself. So juggling a full time job and blogging can be very trying. I admire you very much for doing both.

July 30, 2017 at 9:43 am
  • Reply Louise Smith

You’re doing fantastically Rhian. I recently started adding more categories and sub-categories on my blog so that people could find what they wanted easier. It definitely seems to be working as the amount of people viewing 4-5 posts per visit rather than just 1-2 has increased significantly 🙂

Louise x

July 30, 2017 at 5:10 pm
  • Reply Jenni Grainger

I need to look at stumble upon, it isn’t something I have bothered with yet but heard great things about it. I also need to relook at my hashtags on Instagram, I have been using the same a lot and need to refresh x

July 30, 2017 at 9:40 pm
  • Reply militaryfamof8

Bloggers will surely get motivated upon reading this. I will definitely share this. Thanks you!

July 31, 2017 at 4:03 am