How To Spend 36 Hours In Liverpool

Liverpool Buddy Holly

Last weekend I made a quick trip to Liverpool, the home of The Beatles and I had a wonderful time in the city. I knew it would be an interesting place due to its musical connections but I didn’t realize how much I would fall in love with the city. Trains are super easy to catch and it only took me 2 hours 20 minutes from London through to Liverpool Lime Street station, although personally, I wouldn’t stay by here. I opted for a hotel by James Street Station which is by the pier and docks as that is where most of the attractions and things to do are. Getting into Liverpool on Friday night means you can get a good night’s sleep before your full day, and here’s how you can conquer a lot of Liverpool in just 36 hours:

Beginning your day at the British Music Experience

Begin your day with a quick breakfast at your hotel, preferably something quite hearty to keep you going throughout the day before heading to the piers and the British Music Experience for a 10am start.

The British Music Experience is a history of music from post-war 1940’s right up to the modern day and it’s so interesting from props, costumes, and original memorabilia right through to decade-be-decade accounts of what happened in the musical world from Chuck Berry to The Spice Girls. There are lots to see and read including a hands-on experience at the end where you can try your hand at playing drums, guitar and bass, and a dance studio to giggle at your bad dancing. Even though we headed here on a Saturday opting for early time ensures that it isn’t busy and you can appreciate all of the attractions.

Liverpool Liver Building

Pier Time and The Mersey Ferry

The British Music Experience is likely to take just over an hour so once you’re done walk outside and you’ll be greeted by the Beatles Statue which you can’t miss in the city and some beautiful pier shops and cafes. Right on the pier is the Ferry Terminal which runs ferry’s across and around the Mersey on the hour every hour so jump on at midday. You can buy a triple ticket beforehand which will allow access to the ferry and both the cathedral views which you’ll get to later today and by doing this will definitely save you some money. Grab a seat along the side and watch the views of Liverpool as you drift along the Mersey.

beatles statue

Lunch time and a sneaky cocktail

After an hour on the ferry, it’s likely you’ll want some grub which is easy to find along the docks. Walk along to Albert Dock to Smugglers Cove which is both a restaurant and a cocktail bar specializing in rum with a pirate theme running through it. It can get busy here especially at the weekend so it’s worth booking a table, although the restaurant doesn’t get as busy as the bar. Grab yourself something to eat and a cocktail or two as you rest your legs from the morning’s activities.

Liverpool 2

Open-Top Bus Tour

I think open top bus tours are one of the best ways to see a new city and show you what there is around, it’s also a good to get your bearings. You can grab the bus from just opposite Smugglers Cove and it leaves twice an hour so head outside about 15 minute’s before it’s due to leave to bag yourself a good seat upstairs for the best views. The one hour tour around the city will give you plenty of information on its history and buildings and leave you with plenty more places you want to explore.

Liverpool Cathedral

Cathedral views

With your city explorer triple ticket purchased you get access to the Anglican Cathedral viewing platform so hop off the bus at stop 10 to take in the views of one of the most stunning Cathedrals. Based on a design by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott it began construction in 1904 but took over 70 year’s build due to both of the world war’s which halted building. It was worth the wait though as the external length of the building is so long it’s actually the longest cathedral in the world and heading up you’ll get beautiful views over the city. After you’ve climbed the tour and taken your photos, hop back on the bus to finish your tour.

cavern club

Dinner and evening

By around 53pm it’s likely that you’ll be feeling pretty knackered so chances are you’ll be looking forward to dinner and an early night. Before you finish your evening walk through the city center to Matthew Street where you will find the original (and new) Cavern Club where the Beatles played a lot of shows during their early career. I would recommend heading here before dinner especially if you’re in Liverpool at the weekend as the road is full of bars and clubs and if you walk down there at 830pm on a Saturday night like we did you’ll be met by drunk people on night’s out, stag and hen parties and promoters trying to get you into clubs. For some reason, I felt quite uncomfortable down this street at that time so head there as early as you can. Head just further up the road towards the Central Train Station for some fantastic Lebanese Street Food at Bakchich. The perfect end to your first day.

Liverpool Beatles Experience

Starting Day 2 with The Beatles

After a full day on Saturday, chances are you’ll have just a bit of time during the morning on your final day which of course has to spent at The Beatles Experience. The main exhibition is right next to Smugglers Cove which you’ll remember from the day before and you’ll get the chance to find out the entire history about the four-piece including how they met, past members, how they become huge, their music and what happened after their split. I wouldn’t have said I was a fanatical Beatles Fan although I did enjoy and appreciate their music the experience was such an eye opener to the world back in the 60’s.

radio city tower views

Radio City Tower Views

The final thing you should experience before hopping on your train and heading home is the views of the city from the Radio City Tower. Tickets are only £5 and even cheaper if you show your City Explorer bus ticket. The tower is home to various Radio City stations and is 400 feet above the city center offering 360-degree panoramic views of Merseyside and on clearer days even further afield. It can be a little cramped upstairs as there’s not as much room to move but the views well and truly make up for it.

And that’s it 36 hours in Liverpool and you’ve conquered so many of the main attractions.

July 5, 2017

• Reply Robin Rue

I am a HUGE Beatles fan, so I would absolutely love to go to Liverpool. Of course, I would love to see the rest of the city, too 🙂

July 5, 2017 at 2:13 pm
  • Reply Terri Steffes

This would be a perfect way to spend a day there. I have been once, but not to do anything fun like this!

July 5, 2017 at 3:27 pm
  • Reply Angela Tolsma

I would totally do the open bus tour! I can’t wait to do one actually. This sounds like a great way to spend so little time in Liverpool.

July 5, 2017 at 9:28 pm
  • Reply Marcie

This sounds fabulous! I didn’t realize it was only a 2 hour and 20 minute ride away! I’d love to spend a couple of days here exploring with my family!

July 5, 2017 at 9:48 pm
  • Reply Andrea Broom

it’s funny every time i see liverpool, England I remember about a bar that all of my friends would go to when i was in high school. this all sounds so much fun and the perfect way to unwind for a couple of days and site seeing. thanks for sharing 🙂

July 5, 2017 at 11:12 pm
  • Reply crystal

This looks like a fun place to go visit. I love the idea of riding the ferry and taking the open bus tour.

July 6, 2017 at 12:20 am
  • Reply Cassie Liz

I never got to Liverpool but feel like I missed out now! Will have to come back to the UK just so I can do some of these awesome things!!

July 6, 2017 at 1:03 am
  • Reply kirst187

I have never been able to visit England, but if I ever do this looks like the perfect couple of days to visit! I have always wanted to go on the open bus tour – looks like lots of fun!

July 6, 2017 at 4:02 am
  • Reply Shelley

I went to Liverpool a few years ago for a weekend and basically did exactly the same as you! We climbed the stairs and enjoyed the view of the cathedral, was amazing! 🙂 – great guide!

July 6, 2017 at 10:01 am
  • Reply Donna

I’ve never done the tourist’s Liverpool adn yet I am so close. I really must!

July 6, 2017 at 12:09 pm
  • Reply Blythe A.

I’ve never been to Liverpool or England but it would be fun to explore the city where the Beatles came from. There is something about 60s England that intrigues me.

July 6, 2017 at 2:46 pm
  • Reply PrimeBeauty

This looks like such a fun way to spend a few days. I’d love to check out the music experience and some of the other sights and sounds from Liverpool.

July 6, 2017 at 2:47 pm
  • Reply Jeanine @ sixtimemommy.com

Looks like a lovely place to visit. I’ve never been to Liverpool but have always heard great things. I would love to visit !

July 6, 2017 at 4:51 pm
  • Reply lianne

Oh I love Liverpool!! Walking along Albert Docks, shopping in the centre and finishing the night in Popworld is my favourite 🙂 Ive never been to the Cavern Club tho, sounds great

July 6, 2017 at 6:12 pm
  • Reply Kristina Pache-Ferency

I would love to go here!! When I lived in England I don’t recall ever going to Liverpool but when I visit in the future this is on my list!

July 6, 2017 at 6:36 pm
  • Reply Lily Mae

I’d love to visit Liverpool! I’ve been trying to go to as many iconic UK cities as possible this year, and after reading this I’m definitely excited to be visiting Liverpool in the future!

July 6, 2017 at 7:01 pm
  • Reply NICOLE SHILLINGS

Liverpool is on my list for my next UK visit! Thank you for giving me some great things to see while I’m there!

July 6, 2017 at 7:26 pm
  • Reply Carla

I have never visited Liverpool before. It sounds like such an awesome place to visit though!

July 6, 2017 at 9:33 pm
  • Reply Cassie Tucker

There are so many things I would love to see in Liverpool if I get to visit there. Of course, we will have to go outside of football season. My husband’s favorite Premier League team is Liverpool so he would want to go see them play more than anything else, lol

July 7, 2017 at 11:32 am
  • Reply KGR

I’ve only ever been to Liverpool briefly when I was looking at universities but I would love the British music experience and the open tour bus x

July 7, 2017 at 7:18 pm
  • Reply Mike Marie Barber

Theres so much to do in Liverpool i used to go there often Albert Docks and the tate is my favourite!

July 7, 2017 at 10:04 pm
  • Reply Rachel Catherine

This place looks beautiful. I would have never thought of visiting here but it seems like there is a lot to do and see.

July 8, 2017 at 2:04 am
  • Reply Amanda Love

Oh my! Amazing guide for Liverpool. I love how everything is so well planned that you’re on your next location easily after the previous one. I have been in London the past year but I never got to go to Liverpool. I would love to, the next time.

July 8, 2017 at 1:15 pm
  • Reply Maria - Tough Cookie Mommy

I would love the music experience because I have always been eclectic. I have never been to London but will definitely plan on visiting Liverpool if we ever make it there.

July 8, 2017 at 2:00 pm
  • Reply Chichi

i have been wanting to visit liverpool since forever, thanks for this helpful guide!

July 9, 2017 at 9:33 am
  • Reply Claire Lee

That’s amazing, sounds like you had so much fun!! I would love to visit there sometime

July 9, 2017 at 9:20 pm
  • Reply Veronica P.

36 hours is so little for such a cool city! I would go and explore all the Beattles places. I heard that you could also record your own Beattles style song in a studio.

July 10, 2017 at 8:48 am
  • Reply Kecia

Wow, you packed a lot of fun stuff in just 36 hours! Liverpool is rich with history, for sure.

July 10, 2017 at 1:40 pm