Difficulties Of Growing Your Fringe Out

hot and cold face bar

Other than a brief stint in my early twenties I have always had a fringe ranging from the bowl style cut as a child to the long sweeping emo side fringe as a teenager and for the past five-six year’s I’ve rocked a full fringe. Over the past few month’s I’ve fallen out of love with my fringe for a variety of reasons including how hot it gets as my hair is thick, how it’s the part of my hair which gets the greasiest and how it shortens the look of my face so after some chats with my hairdresser I’ve decided to grow it out but I forgot how tough the process is.

I have bobby pins everywhere

I never really used bobby pins before because I had no need but I recently bought a box as I was going to need to pin my fringe back as a parting or a side fringe and these damn things seem to have worked their way everywhere from my bedroom, dressing room and living room to my handbag, work desk, and even the shower. I totally get it now when people say that they disappear as I have no idea where they go sometimes.

I have to bother with my eyebrows now

Before my fringe would cover my eyebrows so while I liked to keep them neat I didn’t maintain them anywhere near as much as I should but now they’re on full show so I have to spend way more time making sure they look presentable. I just pluck my eyebrows but now it’s a going to be a weekly job just keeping them looking their best.

I realized how dry my forehead is

I’m so bad and because my forehead used to be covered I’d forget all about it during my skincare routine which means now I am realizing how dry it got under the flop of my hair. I’m desperately trying to hydrate it because I’m finding my foundation just doesn’t sit all that well on it at the moment. One thing which I am using on both my forehead and the rest of my face is the SENSEE Hot and Cold Ultrasonic Skin Tightening Facial Toner* which is designed to help with wrinkles which is one worry I have about my forehead alongside reducing redness and eye bags. Just using it for a few minutes it gives my skin an instant refresh and a glow and it helps with moisturizer absorption something my forehead needs a lot of at the moment. When hot the brush softens and relaxes the muscles to increase blood circulation, smooth wrinkles and activate cell regrowth, while when cold it helps to relieve skin fatigue, redness, and puffiness, so the perfect two in one.

Have you ever tried growing your fringe out?
August 18, 2017

• Reply Joanna

I have made the mistake of getting my fringe burned with the straighteners and since then I’ve been hating it. Not even the hairdresser could save it, lol. So I have to wait for it to grow, which seems to happen so slow…

August 21, 2017 at 2:19 pm
  • Reply Olivia Thristan

I have had a fringe for about 10 years now, I once had a side fringe and due to the size of my forehead it looked weird haha. I love these reasons, most of them are the reason I still have a fringe! x

August 21, 2017 at 3:13 pm
  • Reply Sarah Bailey

I haven’t had a fringe since I was really young, I grew it out when I was about 6 I think as my hair just doesn’t suit a fringe at all – as it doesn’t stay straight and is so frizzy,

August 21, 2017 at 5:48 pm
  • Reply Mummy Times Two

The toner looks like a really interesting product. I haven’t had a fringe since I was at primary school but still remember the difficulty of growing it out.

August 21, 2017 at 7:59 pm
  • Reply Joanna

I haven’t had a fringe for a few years now its definitely a pain to grow out.

August 21, 2017 at 8:55 pm
  • Reply Tori

I’ve grown a fringe out a few times – I loved for braiding it back into my hair once it got past eye length!

August 21, 2017 at 8:57 pm
  • Reply five little doves

Hahah yes!! All of these!! I had a fringe last year and it’s still growing out, I regretted it the moment I had it cut!

August 21, 2017 at 9:32 pm
  • Reply Ana De- Jesus

Man the last time I had a fringe I was 14 or 15 and I definitely know how difficult it was to grow a fringe out. Haha yes eyebrows are such a pain x

August 21, 2017 at 9:36 pm
  • Reply Sarah Ann

Haha, I loved this post! I’m glad I grew my fringe out now it is the same length as the rest of my hair but it was a nightmare. And now I need to actually get my eyebrows done regularly!

August 21, 2017 at 10:04 pm
  • Reply Dani

Whenever I have a fringe, I remember how annoying it is and I have to straighten it etc, but then when I grow it out I miss it so much!
    I haven’t had a fringe in years but I’m very tempted to cut it back in 🙂

Dani x

August 21, 2017 at 10:14 pm
  • Reply Kristina Maggiora

oh my god, when i had to grow my fringe out I looked like a fluffy dog, it was horrifying hahah

August 22, 2017 at 10:13 am
  • Reply Stephanie Merry

I used to have a fringe growing up and remember the pain of growing it out well! x

August 22, 2017 at 10:30 am
  • Reply Helen

I grew my fringe out recently and it is such a pain to do! Hair pins and it pinned in a big quiff was my look for the longest time.

August 22, 2017 at 11:40 am
  • Reply Ava

This is so cute… always wanted a fringe… but never had one

August 22, 2017 at 1:05 pm
  • Reply Ashleigh Dougherty

I haven’t had a fringe since I was a kid and always get tempted to cut one in, but I don’t think I am committed enough!

August 22, 2017 at 1:11 pm
  • Reply Anosa

Never had a fringe before with my natural hair but normally try with weave and it can get a bit hot and annoying.

August 22, 2017 at 2:56 pm
  • Reply Jacqueline

Ooh this sounds like it’s right up my alley. I have always used a cleansing brush. I then bought a batter operated exfoliating device and I love that too. But this is taking it to a whole new level!

August 22, 2017 at 3:15 pm
  • Reply Jaymee (@_TheMumDiaries)

I love this! Looks amazing and something that I would find extremely useful! Thanks!

August 22, 2017 at 3:52 pm
  • Reply MELANIE EDJOURIAN

I never had a fringe as it isn’t something that would suit me although I get the eyebrow problem now. You need to pay more attention to them but once under control they should be fine.

August 22, 2017 at 4:23 pm
  • Reply MIRANDA

I guess, it is advisable to have a hairstylist with you when you decide to have a make over or just want to try the fringe. Just be ready on the outcome or consequences.

August 22, 2017 at 6:12 pm
  • Reply Bear and Cardigan

Fringes take the longest time to grow! My hair could touch the ground and my fringe still wouldn’t cover my ears lol, so I keep it, but I’d love to grow it and have a different style.

August 22, 2017 at 7:49 pm
  • Reply Baby Isabella

My mummy has had a fringe for nearly 10 years and absolutely loves it. It hides a her big forehead which she wished was covered when she was a teenager. Theres always the option of trying to barrel roll it for a 1950’s pin-up look and she’s tried this a couple of times with success x

August 22, 2017 at 9:32 pm
  • Reply Melanie

Yes I have and managed, but my hair grows super quick, but the inbetween stages are a nightmare at times to style 🙂 x

August 22, 2017 at 9:45 pm
  • Reply Gareth Torrance

I had a fringe when I was a young teen, and I could never make it work…. So now that I have long hair, I just tie it back.

August 23, 2017 at 6:53 am
  • Reply Katie

Ugh yes, I had a fringe very briefly about 10 years ago. I hated it! I am VERY casual about my haircare, and having a fringe meant straightening it every day. I was so pleased when it grew out! I used to tie it back a lot or pin it up.

August 23, 2017 at 8:08 am
  • Reply Heidi Brown

I grew my fringe out just before I went travelling many moons ago, it didn’t quite grow quick enough but I managed to master a little side French plat that went across and incorporated the whole fringe and kept it out of my face!

August 23, 2017 at 8:13 am
  • Reply lisa prince

i always get to the stage where i want to cut a fringe in then i realise its a nightmare as my hair doesnt quite give me a lovely thick fringe instead it flicks all over lol, but i do love the style x

August 23, 2017 at 10:20 am
  • Reply Angela Ricardo Bethea

I think the last time I had a fringe was in my teenage years. I’ve actually had my fair share of growing out my fringe which turned out quite a hassle.

August 23, 2017 at 10:37 am
  • Reply Lynne

I used lots and lots of pins when I grew out my fringe. This facial toner looks fab

August 23, 2017 at 3:04 pm
  • Reply Amy

I only ever had a fringe when I was much much younger – I don’t think I would ever get one again as I don’t feel like they suit me and I don’t like having constant hair on my forehead!

August 23, 2017 at 5:33 pm
  • Reply Nichola - Globalmouse

I have never had a fringe but recently I’ve been thinking maybe I should try one….good to know the pitfalls though!

August 23, 2017 at 5:39 pm
  • Reply Stephanie Cummings

I’m the queen of fringe growers. Every few years I have one cut in, have it trimmed a few times then decide to grow it out again. Only to have it put back in again!! I love a fringe but they are far higher maintenance than I am (I’m in the mood for a fringe and I have a hair appointment coming up!!!!)

August 23, 2017 at 8:05 pm
  • Reply Rachel

Ahh, the struggles of growing a fringe! I went through a phase of wanting a fringe so badly and when i finally got the cut I wanted to grow it back out and it took forever! xo

August 23, 2017 at 10:56 pm
  • Reply Kerry Norris

Oh yes I’ve been there. I hear you with the bobby pins and my forehead is a dry spot too

August 24, 2017 at 7:00 am
  • Reply Jayne @ Sticky Mud and Belly Laughs

Haha! Yes to all of this. I had a fringe ages ago and it took forever to grow out 🙂 x

August 24, 2017 at 9:28 am
  • Reply Emma

I’m starting to get a few lines now and since becoming a mum my hormones have got crazy, making my skin really dry! I’ll definitely be interested in anything that hydrates my skin, so will look into this!

August 24, 2017 at 10:15 am
  • Reply Tanya Brannan

I get bored with my hair easily and go and get fringes put in, during the hottest summer period. Mental, really!!

August 25, 2017 at 12:38 am
  • Reply Leslie Hernandez

Wow I haven’t had one since I was in Junior High School, I hated mine lol… Never again will I get one lol… I was so happy when it grow out.

August 25, 2017 at 1:51 am
  • Reply Louise

When I was 17 or 18 my fringe grew out naturally. And looking back at pics of my teenage years I’m SO glad it did! It started pretty far back compared to everyone else’s anyway, and always seemed to look greasy and horrible. Thank god it’s gone! I’ll have to give the Sensee a try soon as I keep hearing great things about it 🙂

Louise x

August 26, 2017 at 8:40 am
  • Reply Katrina

Yes I grew my fringe out when I was a teen and have never had it cut back in but I
    Am debating doing it now but the fear of greasy spots puts me off

August 29, 2017 at 9:31 am
  • Reply Jess

Omg I’m umming and ahhing about getting a fringe! But I have a hair cut phobia so I’m very slow on the up take haha. I guess there’s much more management involved than you realise, especially when growing one out!

August 29, 2017 at 10:21 am