A Summer Of Music: Live Music In June And July

issues

For me I always find the summer month’s a little lacking when it comes to live music because other than your standard festivals bands don’t really tend to tour much, although fortunately for me due to come travelling before Download Festival I managed to make up for things.

At the beginning of June, I headed to Paris for two nights to coincide with two special shows which I wanted to see. On Tuesday 6th June I saw Simple Plan on the anniversary tour of their debut album ‘No Pads, No Helmets, Just Balls….’. The reason I travelled for this show was because the London show was during Download Festival weekend and their performance at the festival was not going to be the album in full like the shows so a quick jump on the Eurostar saw me at the Bataclan. The venue is pretty special in my mind after the events which happened 18 month’s prior and it was lovely to see people still going to shows and still enjoying the atmosphere. The show itself was amazing and I forgot how great the band’s debut album was.

simple plan

The following night at the same venue in Paris I saw Good Charlotte because there’s no such thing as too many GC shows in my mind. The main idea behind going to Paris was because both shows were on consecutive nights and it made sense to go. The support slots were amazing and I got to see Issues, State Champs and Sleeping With Sirens and the headliners were just incredible. I am so excited for the tour at the end of the year where I may or may not be going to three shows across a weekend in December *oops*.

The day after I got back from Paris I bundled into my car and headed to Derby to set up ready for Download Festival which was one of the best year’s I’ve been to in ages. The sun was shining, the lineup was great and the atmosphere was amazing. You can read more about my weekend at the festival here.

good charlotte

The final live musical experience of June was Hans Zimmer who writes film scores including  The Lion King, Pirates of the Carribean, Inception, Gladiator, The Dark Knight, The Amazing Spiderman 2 and many more. I’d wanted to see Hans for ages and was so happy when I managed to nab tickets for the show last year and it was everything I’d expected a more. With a whole live orchestra, choir, and loads of incredible musicians it was a stunning night and such a good atmosphere.

July began at a high with Green Day’s Hyde Park show on Saturday 1st. The British Summertime Shows are always great as they’re like mini festivals full of activities, music and so much great food (I had a peanut butter brownie which was amazing). We headed in in time to see The Hives who were really good and ended up seeing Rancid, Gogol Bordello, The Stranglers and of course Green Day themselves. The headliners have such an amazing back catalogue of hits and the whole night was amazing. The newer music which I haven’t listened to as much sounded great and the band showed that they are truly at the top of their game.

My live music from the two month’s ended with Blink 182 at the O2 Arena on 20th July. I had tried to get tickets to the first show but they sold out too quickly so as soon as night two was announced I snapped tickets up. At the time I wasn’t with my other half but thankfully standing tickets were still on sale when we got together and he bought one to accompany me. Having seen Blink five times already I was a little worried about how the dynamic would be without Tom Delonge but I really didn’t have to worry as Matt Skiba fitted into the band so well and I rarely even noticed he wasn’t there. The band definitely seem more mature with no dick jokes and stupid commentary which I have to admit was starting to get a bit old. I am so happy with Blink 2.0 and look forward to seeing them again.

Issues, Simple Plan and Good Charlotte photos by Matt Higgs and Blink 182 photo by Gemma Bell, both Mosh photographers

August 5, 2017

• Reply Helen

Wow you’ve managed to see lots of musicians over the summer. I can’t remember the last time I saw someone live!

August 6, 2017 at 7:09 pm
  • Reply Becca Talbot

Out of everyone you saw in the last two months, I think Blink 182 is the one I’m most jealous about! I heard they put on a phenomenal show, despite not being the original line up x

August 6, 2017 at 7:53 pm
  • Reply Mummy Times Two

It certainly sounds like you have seen such a lot of great acts recently!

August 6, 2017 at 8:24 pm
  • Reply John Milnes

Nothing like a great music festival to keep off those summer blues. I do like Green day a quiet a bit, not heard of the other bands, but I am sure to look them up.

Thanks for Sharing

John M

August 7, 2017 at 5:21 pm
  • Reply Stephanie Cummings

WOw you have been busy. I haven’t heard of half of these bands or if i have I couldn’t name one song! I have such a terrible ear for music I can never remember names of songs even things I like listening to!!! I did recognise Hans Zimmer that would be the one out of these I know i’d enjoy x

August 7, 2017 at 7:22 pm
  • Reply Rachel

Ahhh you’ve been to some amazing shows the past couple of months. I’m very jealous about Hans Zimmer though! How incredible! xo

August 7, 2017 at 8:30 pm
  • Reply Musings of a tired mummy...zzz...

I have only ever been to 1 concert but it was fab! I’d love to go to a festival and introduce the kids to that experience

August 7, 2017 at 9:07 pm
  • Reply Ana De- Jesus

I have heard that Simple Plan are really good live! I have never had the chance to see Good Charlotte though, I love summer music festivals x

August 8, 2017 at 12:59 pm
  • Reply Ashleigh Dougherty

How fit are those band boys though haha! I would love to see Simple Plan. I used to listen to them so much when I was younger x

August 8, 2017 at 1:48 pm
  • Reply Sarah Bailey

I would love to see Good Charlotte one day. Ash and I were talking the other month about who we would like to go and see, hopefully we will manage to fit some in sometime.

August 8, 2017 at 3:00 pm
  • Reply Journa Ramirez

I love music but honestly, I haven’t tried watching a live music concert. I want to experience it. It looks fun and exciting!

August 8, 2017 at 3:10 pm
  • Reply Stephanie Merry

I’d love to see Good Charlotte and Blink 182, both bands were big influences on me growing up x

August 8, 2017 at 3:44 pm
  • Reply Nichola - Globalmouse

Live music is the best and I love how much you’ve experienced, makes me want to get out and see some myself.

August 8, 2017 at 8:26 pm
  • Reply Gareth Torrance

One year… One year I’m going to get to attend Download Festival… I keep missing it…

August 9, 2017 at 7:08 am
  • Reply Stephanie Usher

You’re so good at attending live music events, I really want to make more time to see artists! xx

August 9, 2017 at 7:55 am
  • Reply Sally Akins

You had a great summer! I saw Green Day at Sheffield a couple of days after the Hyde Park gig – they really know how to put on a show!!

August 9, 2017 at 9:50 am
  • Reply sarah (theparentingtrials)

wow i’m very green with envy with the bands you seen recently. My last gig was korn/limp bizkit back in December. sad times seems so long ago. great photos btw.

August 9, 2017 at 2:12 pm
  • Reply Tanya Brannan

Wow! I am so envious of all the people you got to see, Especially Hans Zimmer as my husband tried to get tickets and couldn’t 🙁
    It’s good that you preferred the new attitude and performance of Blink182, as it would terrible if it didnt work for you

August 9, 2017 at 5:28 pm
  • Reply Wynne Katherine

You have been to a lot of shows! I really would have loved to see simple plan ahah

August 10, 2017 at 9:56 am
  • Reply Ania Travels

Seeing live music is my absolute favorite any season thing to do. Sounds like you had a great summer. These are some of my favorite bands you’ve seen.

August 10, 2017 at 11:05 am
  • Reply Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes

Wow it seems like you’ve seen some pretty incredible artists this summer! I’d love to see Greenday!

August 10, 2017 at 1:09 pm
  • Reply Sarah Ann

Wow, you’ve seen so many amazing bands recently (and you have epic taste in music, we’d get along like a house on fire). Green Day must have been incredible, was gutted they cancelled their Glasgow show.

August 10, 2017 at 6:43 pm
  • Reply Rebecca

You’ve been so busy! My musical summer highlight was actually turning on the tv and watching Glastonbury! Love the sound of your Paris trip, I love live music so much. One day!

August 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm
  • Reply Dunja

So many bands! I used to listen to Simple Plan all the time when i was younger 😀

August 10, 2017 at 9:19 pm
  • Reply Aditi

It’s great that you got to be a part of these music shows. Going to Bataclan must’ve been with so many mixed emotions, it’s great to see people going there and trying to fill their hearts with music.

August 11, 2017 at 3:11 am
  • Reply Prateek Goel

What a capture..seriously what a capture!! Nice photographs and the description. You had done a great job of capturing so many bands in the last two months. This blink 182 looks so phenomenal. Music bands..my favorite!!

August 11, 2017 at 4:37 am
  • Reply David Elliott

That’s so cool with all the different festivals that you have been able to go to. I would love to see Green Day or Blink 182 live in concert. Live events are always better.

August 11, 2017 at 6:44 am
  • Reply Lubka Henry

These are some really cool gig to be see in the summer. Shame I’ve missed them all.

August 11, 2017 at 8:18 am
  • Reply Elena

I like most of these bands. Too bad I leave so far so I cannot attend the festival.

August 12, 2017 at 9:53 am