August Adventures In Live Music

August Adventures In Live Music

With quite a few gigs planned for September- December it really feels like the summer has been pretty quiet but thankfully I decided pretty last minute to head to a show near the end of the month alongside a mini festival in Blackpool at the end of the month. This was just about enough to keep my live music game just off the ground but I’m so excited to see what the rest of the year holds in store for me.

On Wednesday 23rd I headed to a last minute show at the Scala in Kings Cross to see Vukovi support Grouplove. Now we didn’t really know much about the headliners but Vukovi are an awesome female fronted alt-rock band from Glasgow and their music is so infectious. I had a photo pass for this show and it was nice to get back into the photo pit and take some shots, something I definitely need to carry on doing more often. The show was so much fun and Vukovi were so good, although I can’t wait to see them do a headline show soon.

On the Sunday of bank holiday weekend, I was in Blackpool ready to see Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff play a special show for the first time together in 12 years. I am so happy that we made the journey up as their set was so good and such a lot of fun. I didn’t realize how many songs I’d recognize from ‘Summertime’ and ‘Men in Black’ to ‘Get Jiggy With It’, ‘Switch’ and of course the Fresh Prince of Belair theme tune. The show was truly unique and something I doubt will be coming back to the UK anytime soon so I’m super glad I was a part of it.

1. September 6, 2017 / 1:54 pm

I had no idea Will Smith was performing in the UK – I bet that was a great show! Men In Black was one of the first songs I ever learned all the words too! x

2. Arra Odeza
    September 6, 2017 / 2:08 pm

I love pop music and alternative rock but I don’t have much time to go to music festivals or shows so I only listen to music videos online or via radio.

3. September 6, 2017 / 3:52 pm

Oh we are near Blackpool! I had no idea Will Smith was performing – that’s amazing! I would have loved to see that!

4. Tanya Brannan
    September 6, 2017 / 5:21 pm

I wish I knew Will Smith had been performing as that sounds like it was a fun and amazing gig to see! I can imagine the crowd were having an absolute ball!

5. Laina Turner
    September 6, 2017 / 6:21 pm

I’m going to have to look these folks up on You Tube. I think the sound is something I’d like and want to explore more.

6. September 6, 2017 / 7:10 pm

I am so jealous of you getting to see Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff in Blackpool! It sounds like you had lots of fun

7. September 6, 2017 / 8:15 pm

I know Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff but haven’t heard of the others. So pleased you enjoyed it and were lucky enough to go.

8. September 7, 2017 / 1:02 am

Omg Will smith, I remember him in fresh prince of bel air, wish I had have gone too, would have been so much fun, lucky you 🙂 x

9. September 7, 2017 / 5:33 am

W I L L S M I T H!!!!! I love him…. I am sure you must have had an amazing experience 🙂

10. aareeba
    September 7, 2017 / 5:52 am

lucky you that you got to see will smith <3 I am sure you must have had an amazing night

11. September 7, 2017 / 7:31 am

As I wrote once before I am kind of jelous of you seeing The prince of Bel-air and Jazzy together performing live! I just regret now that we didnt go more often to music festivals and concert when we were childfree! Have I told you that my biggest dream is to see Bob Marley performing live?

12. HodgePodgeDays
    September 7, 2017 / 1:07 pm

Gig photography is SO hard, you’ve done well to get good pictures. Very envious of you seeing the Fresh Prince!

13. September 7, 2017 / 1:52 pm

I’m with most of the other comments here, super envious of you getting to see Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff!

14. September 7, 2017 / 3:12 pm

That seems like a very happening August. I bet that Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff’s show must have been so good, lucky you! xx

15. September 7, 2017 / 3:45 pm

I love the fact you were able to see Will Smith perform that’s so cool! 🙂

16. September 8, 2017 / 2:36 am

I’m a big fan of will smith!! I’m feeling jealous now, that you are able to see him perform. You must have enjoyed it.

17. September 8, 2017 / 7:08 am

I am so jealous you got to see Will Smith and Jazzy Jeff, I didn’t realise they still performed together

18. September 8, 2017 / 9:10 am

Will smith must have been amazing to see! I grew up listening to his songs so that would have been great to go to!

19. September 8, 2017 / 10:49 am

Whoa! Will Smith is the bomb. I like them dance-able tunes by Will Smith. I’ve never heard of that female fronted alternative band but I’m curios and interested.

20. Kate Williams
    September 8, 2017 / 11:35 am

Oh super jealous about Will Smith – I bet that was brilliant!

21. September 8, 2017 / 5:13 pm

Wow the show in Blackpool must have been quite the performance! And the first time together in 12 years! x

22. September 9, 2017 / 3:09 pm

I can’t believe you say Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff perform together! That sounds like it’d be a super energetic and fun show. I’ve never heard of the band Vukovi before but now I’m definitely tempted to listen!

23. Danielle Martin
    September 12, 2017 / 4:43 pm

I had no idea that Will Smith was playing. I bet that would have been incredible.

24. September 12, 2017 / 8:48 pm

So jealous you got to see THE Will Smith. What an amazing experience!