How I Spent Two And A Half Days In Prague

Prague Building

Every year me and one of my best friends head to a European city and this time we chose Prague as it’s somewhere we’d both wanted to go for a long time. We managed to get Friday evening flights from Luton which is super close to my house which gave us all day Saturday, all day Sunday and half of Monday to explore.

Sadly our lovely Wizz Air flight from Luton decided to be about 90 minutes late which meant by the time we got through security in Prague, collected our suitcase and jumped in a cab to the hotel it was 2am *ouch*. We had a look at some of the tour brochures before going to bed and decided to do a half day tour the following morning so after a quick sleep and some breakfast we walked down the Old Town Square.

Prague Clock

Thankfully while we were in the Old Town Square we managed to see the Astronomical Clock hit the hour and see it working. Yes, there’s not much to see but as it’s the oldest working clock of its type in the world I think you can forgive it. At 10 am we boarded a coach set for a city outside of Prague called Katna Hora to visit the most beautiful Cathedrale I’d seen, explore the city, eat some traditional Czech food and visit the  Bone Church. The later was one main reason for joining the tour as we were going to visit anyway and not having to navigate trains seemed like a great idea.

Prague Bone Church

I’m going to do a full post on Katna Hora but the Bone Church was so surreal, the whole church is decorated in skulls and bones made up from over 40,000 human skellingtons and while some may call it sombre or freaky it’s actually a celebration to not hide away the dead and I found it fascinating to walk around and explore.

Prague Cathedrale

It was 3.30pm when we got back so we decided to take a walk towards the Charles Bridge. One thing I noticed on the walk there is how beautiful the architecture of the buildings are, everything looks stunning and very ‘olde worlde’ which I like. The city was pretty busy but the thing which makes Charles Bridge lovely is that it’s pedestrians only so despite the people it still felt quite tranquil. Although the bridge was lovely I didn’t think it was anything special, not when you compare it to the stunning Chain Bridge in Budapest.

Prague John Lennon Wall

Our next stop was the John Lennon Wall which is the only part of the city where you can legally graffiti and add your own artwork. It was pretty crazy as I expected with people trying to do their own photo shoots and fashion parades so if you are looking for a good photo try heading here first thing before the crowds descend. It was lovely to see all the messages of peace and love. By this point, we were pretty hungry so had dinner and headed back to our hotel for an early night.

Prague Statue

Sunday was our day to see more of the city and we jumped on the Hop-on, hop-off bus tour with City Explorers which runs two lines through the city covering pretty much everything you’d want to see. Sadly the buses here aren’t open topped though which was nice from a warmth point of view but I find the pictures and what you see is better from the top of a double decker bus. After the first line, we decided to take the funicular up to Petrin Hill to see the views from the top, sadly though we couldn’t see the views. The whole top is like a giant park and while it’s pretty the trees cover the panoramic view of the city and we couldn’t find anywhere to see a view from. There is a miniature Eiffel Tower which you can climb and this seems to be the only way to see the views (but it’s about 299 steps).

Prague View

We took in the next bus line and then decided to head down the riverside to jump on the one-hour boat cruise which was lovely and relaxing to see the city from another view point. Our final port of call for the day was to try some Trdelnik which you can buy pretty much anywhere in the city. They are made from rolled dough which is wrapped around a stick to be cooked and is topped warm with sugar and nuts or a bit of cinnamon. The street food can be found anywhere and my first one was filled with vanilla and chocolate ice-cream and was incredible. The following day I did have a plain one which was coated with Nutella on the inside and I have to admit it did taste nicer warm without the ice-cream.

Prague St Vitus

After lots of walking across our first few days, we decided to set out pretty early on Monday to walk up the steep bank towards the Castle and the St.Vitus Cathedrale which can be seen from all over the city. While the architecture was beautiful in the city I hadn’t seen anything which had made me speechless until I hit the St. Vitus Cathedrale which is absolutely stunning with its gothic feeling and beautiful spires. We decided that as we hadn’t climbed the Eiffel Tower that we’d brave the hundreds of stairs and climb to the top of the Cathedrale and despite feeling like my heart was going to leap out of my chest it was well worth it for the stunning views over the city.

Yes, Prague is a beautiful city but I didn’t fall head over heels in love with it like I had expected to.

September 21, 2017

• Reply Sarah Bailey

It sounds like you did so much in your short time in Prague, but such a shame you didn’t fall quite as in love with the city as you thought you would.

September 21, 2017 at 1:35 pm
  • Reply Evija

Prague looks absolutely beautiful, I have never been myself but it is one of the places I have always wanted to visit.. wizzair..what can I say, every time I have flown with them, they have never been on time!!

September 21, 2017 at 4:19 pm
  • Reply Ashleigh Dougherty

I haven’t got around to visiting Prague yet but it looks like an amazing city to visit!

September 21, 2017 at 7:53 pm
  • Reply five little doves

Oh I was hoping you would say it was everything you thought it would be, I really want to go but I don’t want to be disappointed!! It does look fab from your photos!

September 21, 2017 at 9:07 pm
    • Reply Rhian Westbury

I wasn’t disappointed as such, I think it’s because I’ve been to so many places in Europe my expectations are high x

September 22, 2017 at 10:56 am
  • Reply Rebecca

It looks lovely, I’ve been to Prague but all I really remember is that you could buy really strong beer. That’s probably why it’s all I can remember!

September 21, 2017 at 9:24 pm
  • Reply Patrick

My “Places to Go” board is packed with these cool historic cities I read about here.
    Someone needs to invite the cheetah and me to Europe!!

September 22, 2017 at 1:37 am
  • Reply Danielle Martin

I went to Prague a couple of summers ago and it was amazing – I can’t wait to go back. I was really surprised at how good the food was.

September 22, 2017 at 8:34 pm
  • Reply Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes

I enjoyed visiting Prague. There is lots to do and see but I understand what you mean about not totally falling in love with the city.

September 23, 2017 at 7:43 am
  • Reply Mel

Prague looks like such a fascinating city – especially the Bone Church!

September 23, 2017 at 10:07 am
  • Reply Nichola - Globalmouse

Oh I would love to get to Prague, somewhere I haven’t visited but really want to. LOVE the Bone Church, that would be top of my list to visit!

September 23, 2017 at 6:46 pm
  • Reply Lucy | Real Mum Reviews

Went to Prague when I was 15! Loved the astronomical clock!

September 23, 2017 at 7:16 pm
  • Reply Super Busy Mum

Prague has always been on my bucket list of places to visit and you got up to loads in 2 days. I love the creepy statues of people – super eery and very Prague!

September 24, 2017 at 8:22 am
  • Reply Jacqueline

Prague is on my list to visit. As I am a classically trained pianist, Prague’s history in music has huge appeal. Visiting the other historical sites such as churches and museums are also on the list. The bone church would be an interesting site judging by your pictures. I imagine it looks incredible in person!

September 24, 2017 at 3:09 pm
  • Reply MELANIE EDJOURIAN

Prague is somewhere I would love to go with my husband. It seems to be a great place to explore. That church looks amazing yet frightening all at the same time.

September 24, 2017 at 8:36 pm
  • Reply Michelle

Never been to Prague but it looks amazing

September 25, 2017 at 4:35 am
  • Reply Jenny

That’s a shame as I absolutely love Prague. Maybe you need to go back again and have a more relaxing time – sounds like you packed in an awful lot for a weekend!

September 25, 2017 at 10:07 am
  • Reply Ana De- Jesus

Oh no sorry to hear that your flight was 90 minutes late but nevertheless it looks like you still managed to enjoy your time in Prague. The John Lennon Wall is beautiful! x

September 25, 2017 at 12:37 pm
  • Reply Kaz | Ickle Pickles Life and Travels

Oh that Bone Church looks unbelievable! I would love to visit Prague one day. Kaz

September 25, 2017 at 7:01 pm
  • Reply Sarah Burns

I adore Prague – one of my fave places to visit. We visited in February time some 15 years or so ago and it was -20 all day! so so cold

September 25, 2017 at 8:07 pm
  • Reply Jaymee (@_TheMumDiaries)

I would love to visit the Bone Church, i think the whole thing is fascinating and really interesting! Prague looks like a great country but I can totally understand why it didn’t seem to rank as high as other places you have been too.

September 26, 2017 at 9:40 am
  • Reply Stephanie Merry

I’ve never been to Prague before but what a gorgeous place. It’s got so much history to explore, I’d love to visit there x

September 26, 2017 at 10:24 am
  • Reply Rachel

Prague is one my list of places that I would really love to go and visit x

September 26, 2017 at 11:14 am
  • Reply han

these photos are all so beautiful!! a weekend away each year is such a good idea too

September 26, 2017 at 4:25 pm