Reasons We Could All Do With A Technology Break

Reasons We Could All Do With A Technology Break

I am probably the worst person to talk to about taking a break from technology as my phone is pretty much surgically attached to my hand but after a spa weekend where I tried my best to put my phone I am in definite agreement that breaks from technology can be the very best. How many times do you switch on your phone and flick through social media only to come across things you’ve already seen, or how often do you refresh your emails and end up replying to messages mere minutes after you read them?

The world doesn’t stop if you’re not on social media

Shock horror if you don’t post on Instagram for a day, or you don’t check your Facebook notifications the world doesn’t stop. People won’t instantly unfollow you on social media if you don’t post every single day and your friends will not hate on you if it takes a full 24 hours to accept an event invite or link them tagging you in a funny meme. Sometimes I feel people worry that they’ll miss something if they don’t check social media every hour of every day but you really won’t.

Experience the real world

This is one of my biggest hates at gigs, too many people spend the whole show filming and just watch their screens and not the artist in front of them. When you take a technology break, or even just take a photo of something then put your phone away you experience so much more. I’m completely guilty of being out in London and spending time taking snaps for Instagram stories, posting updates on my Twitter and ensuring that my day is shown on social media, but then sometimes I miss out on real things which are right in front of me. I am trying to make more of an effort of putting my phone away once I’ve done what I need to do rather than clutching it like a newborn baby.

may books

Remind yourself of the little things

When you turn off from technology you have a chance to remember the little things and how great life can be. When I’m not concentrating on my laptop or my phone I find that my senses almost feel heightened as I am paying more attention. Lighting a candle and smelling it’s first burn, the laughter of people, the smile that someone you love has when you give them a compliment and your mind expanded after you read that book you’ve been putting off.

Spend time with the people you love

Social media can be great for keeping us all in touch with people who otherwise we’d never speak to but by taking time away from technology and spending time with real people you’re pushing relationships and forging friendships. I hate it when I go out for dinner and see groups and couples just sat there staring at their phones, if you don’t have enough to say to one another to cover the timespan of a meal then you should really think about who you’re hanging out with. When I’m with my female friends we have a strictly no phones policy unless it’s an emergency and we find that we talk and laugh so much more when everyone’s engaged in what’s going on.

friends fest

Ignore the FOMO

I know when I scroll through social media and read other people’s blogs I always get a massive feeling of FOMO (fear of missing out) and find myself yearning to visit that quirky bar or jump on a plane to that stunning country. If you simply take time out from technology – social media especially – you can minimize your feelings of fomo as you won’t be seeing what everyone else is getting up to. How much good does it do us if we’re just seeing the profiles that others want us to see to make them look like they’re always having a great time?! Everybody has down days, or those days where all they do is housework, but do they put it on social media?! Unlikely. You won’t be made to feel bad about your down time if you’re looking away from technology.

Live a healthier lifestyle

Technology is making us increasingly lazy, we spend evenings at home in front of the television, or spend mornings laying in bed scrolling through Facebook when we could be outside. By taking time away from technology you can go for a walk to see more of your local sites, you could go to a class at the gym and release some endorphins or make that fresh smoothie you’ve been meaning to but have never had the time for.

Do you take time away from technology?

Pin It!

We could really do with a technology break, but never take one. Here are the reasons why we should!

1. September 28, 2017 / 5:20 pm

I am so with you on this, I really think we all need to spend some time away from social media to allow ourselves to just think about ourselves and enjoy the world around us.

2. September 28, 2017 / 7:39 pm

I used to get worried about not constantly posting on my Instagram but now I am happy to not be on my phone all the time.

3. hannah
    September 28, 2017 / 9:10 pm

I’m one of those people who panics if i don’t go on facebook a day. I agree taking a break is a good thing

4. September 29, 2017 / 6:55 am

Technology breaks are good for the soul – I take one OFTEN. It’s needed!

5. September 29, 2017 / 7:44 am

It definitely is important to take a break from technology, but it’s getting increasingly difficult when one’s living relies on being on social media, lol! I have to start scheduling Sundays off.

6. Jess
    September 29, 2017 / 8:34 am

My phone was stolen just before I went to Thailand and honestly I believe it was a blessing in disguise. It sounds so twee but having a switch off really does do wonders. Definitely agree that it can assist with our physical health too. I’m less likely to go to the gym after work if I flick through Twitter and Youtube when I get home to change – time flies when you’re aimlessly scrolling!

7. September 29, 2017 / 11:03 am

Oh my gosh- I always get FOMO and fall into a comparison trap when I spend too long looking at instagram stories- I really have to limit myself looking at it, especially if I’m not in a great mood anyway.

8. September 29, 2017 / 5:49 pm

I really need to start doing this and going back to basics. I said to my hubbie the other day I used to be such a bookworm pre mobiles and now I dont read at all. Im really missing out on things by being stuck to my phone, computer or watching youtube x

9. September 29, 2017 / 7:17 pm

Ah, totally! It’s like you’re reading my mind! This days people have to let go of their phones for a little bit, seriously life it’s not just the internet and social media and do agree with you, when we take some time out everything seems less relevant, X

10. June
    September 29, 2017 / 8:00 pm

I absolutely agree with you. Technology consumes too much off our lives. We forget to stay in the present moment and the enjoy the little things and spend time with the people we love -without staring into our phones. Great post!

11. September 30, 2017 / 2:41 am

It actually is difficult but even I have started to realize that I hate Social media when I am with family or hanging out around for a small break. I feel that my day can be shown later and so I am putting off my phones these days.

12. September 30, 2017 / 7:44 am

Yes! I am totally with you on this! We could all do with taking a break from technology to enjoy the world 🙂

13. September 30, 2017 / 10:58 am

It is good tio get a break sometimes and head back in to reality, it opens your eyes to what we had before technology.

14. Jen
    September 30, 2017 / 11:49 am

So important to take time out from technology. I try to do it daily, and there is a point in the day that I ignore it all. TV is off, phone out of sight and no other devices on, The silence is bliss.

15. September 30, 2017 / 7:30 pm

When I feel overwhelmed with electronics, I turn everything off and snuggle up with the book I am currently reading. And yes, I need to have a couple books close to me at all times haha!

16. September 30, 2017 / 9:27 pm

I totally agree with you, technology is really making us both lazy but also making us unsociable. Reading a book, spending time with the family or simply having some me time is very important. Sometimes we need to read these to appreciate that we are missing out on the important things (relationships) and not worldly ones.

17. October 1, 2017 / 5:50 pm

Ignoring the FOMO is a great one, I think it’s very easy to feel you are missing out when you’re watching other people live their lives on social media. I like to switch off and bury my head in the sand!

18. Helen
    October 1, 2017 / 7:06 pm

I totally agree with this and think everyone should take a step back from social media. It is making us lazy and so unsociable too. I find being on it a lot is quite draining so I limit my time on it each day.

19. October 1, 2017 / 11:08 pm

I think the biggest problem with always being connected is the amount of stress that it induces. When you are always worried about what someone is doing or saying, you never catch a break. And that is so very important.

20. Blair villanueva
    October 2, 2017 / 1:45 am

I agree. Being disconnected is a new luxury.
    My phone is always with me, and yup give stress too but I must do it because of work.

21. Elizabeth O
    October 2, 2017 / 1:50 pm

I need to agree with you. Technology consumes a half of our lives. and My phone always beside me, Because of my work and task.

22. October 2, 2017 / 3:06 pm

Admitted, I am phone addict person. To the point that I need to check my works and wait calls. But on the other hand, you’re def right. Have time for our self and our love ones. Set aside the phone, once in a while.

23. October 2, 2017 / 3:21 pm

I take breaks quite a lot, I took quite a long break from Blogging recently as I found myself spending more time blogging that enjoying life.

24. October 3, 2017 / 6:36 am

I feel like taking a break from technology and social media from time to time because it can get very overwhelming but as you mentioned, I get worried the world will stop and I will lose my followers when in fact this does not happen as dramatically as I think..thank you so much for sharing your insight, reading this was very reassuring and reminded me of how important it is to connect with the real world!

mara xox