Four Tips When Visiting The Tower Of London

My London bucket list keeps varying between typical tourist destinations and places I want to eat and drink at and thankfully last weekend I managed to tick off another attraction which was the Tower of London thanks to AttractionTix.

Having turned up around lunchtime on a Sunday I thought we’d be battling intense crowds but it wasn’t too bad thankfully. The Tower of London is one of Europe’s oldest palaces and prisons and sits as a proud fortress of the banks of the River Thames. From the impressive buildings, masses of history, the collection of crown jewels and the Queen’s guards on display it’s an interesting day out.

Buy your tickets in advance

I am such an advocate of booking tickets in advance, even if it’s just the night before because it can save a lot of time and effort when you arrive at the attraction. By booking with AttractionTix we could go and swap our voucher for tickets and the queues were a lot shorter meaning we got into the Tower much quicker than if we’d booked tickets on the day.

Head to the crown jewels first or last thing

The queues can be pretty long during peak times so try and head there first or last thing during your trip. The Royal collection of gems is pretty special including jeweled orbs and scepters used in the Queen’s coronation and crowns galore. Was it just me who assumed there was one crown for all monarchs and they didn’t have new ones made for each one?!

Join in on the Yeoman Warders Tour

The Beefeaters have guarded the tower for over 500 year’s and almost every hour you can hop on a tour with one of the knowledgeable beefeaters who will take you around for about an hour and tell you some of the history of the tower and have you laughing at their unique humour. There are some gory tales to be told, a lot of people were executed here and some Queens’ and other famous people were killed and buried here.

Tours are about an hour long and while some of the stories are a little fabricated it gives the Tower a bit of life, and it’s the only way you can see the St. Peter and Vincula Chapel where those who were executed on Tower Green were buried including two of Henry VIII’s wives Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard.

Time your trip with the changing of the guard

The Tower guards are a detachment of the Queen’s Guards at Buckingham Palace and include an officer, 6 NCO’s and 15 soldiers whose role it is to protect the Crown Jewels and the Queen’s House. Every two hours you can see the changing of the guards and watch as the guards outside the Jewel House are given their orders. It might not be as impressive as the changing at Buckingham Palace but it’s more frequent and less busy to watch.

Pin It!

Visiting The Tower of London? You need these 4 tips!

October 5, 2017

• Reply Patrick

It sounds like a lot of fun and are these the REAL jewels displayed or copies? The changing of the guard sounds impressive as well

October 5, 2017 at 10:14 pm
  • Reply Rebecca

I used to love going to London with my Dad when I was little and visiting all the tourist attractions. I used to enjoy the dungeons!

October 5, 2017 at 10:17 pm
  • Reply Anosa

Researching about the place before going is really a must so that you will know if bookings ahead of time is needed or must plus you would know what to expect when visiting.

October 6, 2017 at 8:50 am
  • Reply Melanie

Top tips here and buying tickets in advance is always keep for a smooth experience x

October 6, 2017 at 11:17 am
  • Reply Joanna

These are some very helpful tips. I didn’t get to see the Tower of London yet even if I visited London many, many times. Who knows, maybe next time.

October 6, 2017 at 1:57 pm
  • Reply Jess

I’m not too fussed about the royal family but I’ve always wanted to see the crown jewels in person! I’m not surprise the queues are pretty lengthy.

October 6, 2017 at 1:59 pm
  • Reply The London Mum

The beefeater tour sounds great! I’ll make sure to do that- I love getting a feel for the place through stories!

October 6, 2017 at 2:33 pm
  • Reply Tanya

I love the sound of the Yeoman Warders Tour, strangely enough I’m really intrigued to hear all the gory details so I’m going to look into visiting

October 6, 2017 at 6:29 pm
  • Reply Francesca

My son recently took a trip their with a family member and really enjoyed his time it’s greagflr the kids!! I would love to see the changing of the guards and visit myself!

October 7, 2017 at 4:28 pm
  • Reply Gareth Torrance

I cannot believe I’ve never actually been to the Tower of London… But if/when I do go, definitely going on one of the tours!

October 7, 2017 at 8:10 pm
  • Reply Baby Isabella

We visited the Tower of London during the poppy display a couple of years back and it was spectacular. Great tips!

October 7, 2017 at 8:53 pm
  • Reply Sarah Ann

Definitely agree with buying tickets in advance, it just makes life so much easier and means you can avoid queues. I’ve never visited the Tower of London before which is shameful given all the times I’ve been to London!

October 8, 2017 at 3:48 pm
  • Reply Harriet from Toby & Roo

We’re planning a trip with the boys soon – I think they would LOVE it! H 🙂

October 9, 2017 at 6:42 am
  • Reply Rachael

We went to the Tower a couple of years ago and the Beefeater tours are definitely well worth getting involved in. I think we was lucky that particular day as the queues were fine for the crown jewels!

October 9, 2017 at 10:26 am
  • Reply rachel

Totally agree with you about buying the tickets in advance, the queues can often be horrifically long. I really enjoyed the Beefeater tour the last time I went x

October 9, 2017 at 11:24 am
  • Reply Kara

We love The Tower of London and the Yeoman tours are amazing aren’t they – I love listening to all the tales

October 9, 2017 at 11:57 am
  • Reply Healthy & Psyched

Great logistical tips. We must have been lucky to go on a quite day or time it right when I went last year because we saw the crown jewels no problem.

I would also add to take a good coat and warm shoes if you go in winter because I was absolutely freezing and couldn’t enjoy it properly.

October 9, 2017 at 8:10 pm
  • Reply melissa major

I have always wanted to visit the towers of London, looks like fun! I will defiantly buy in advanced

October 10, 2017 at 11:34 am
  • Reply Jen

I have very fond memories of visiting The Tower of London, it is so impressive. I love all the history surrounding it, I find it fascinating. Great idea to buy your tickets in advance.

October 10, 2017 at 12:14 pm
  • Reply Jenny

I love visiting the Tower of London, I think it’s the best thing to visit in London.

October 10, 2017 at 8:42 pm
  • Reply Sarah

Aww I remember visiting the Tower of London when I was little! Great tips, especially to buy in advance. Were there still ravens all over the place?

October 10, 2017 at 9:09 pm
  • Reply Helen

Oh now I feel silly for not realising there’s more than one crown! The tour sounds great, definitely something I would do. I love hearing all the tales and history of places.

October 10, 2017 at 10:02 pm
  • Reply Lauretta at Home and Horizon

Booking tickets in advance is a must. It will save you time and you don’t get stressed because of a busy long line.

October 11, 2017 at 8:11 am
  • Reply Ali - We Made This Life

Great tips! We’ve been to London lots but haven’t actually ever visited here! It’s on my list though!

October 11, 2017 at 10:17 am
  • Reply Rebecca Smith

This is very timely as we are planning on taking Jack there soon. Will bear these in mind

October 11, 2017 at 10:25 am
  • Reply Olivia Thristan

These are great tips, it’s important to plan a trip before you go to get the best out of it. I’ve never been to the tower of London but it sounds fab 🙂 x

October 11, 2017 at 10:45 am
  • Reply Elizabeth

This is a place I would absolutely LOVE to visit! I have such a fondness for British history.

October 11, 2017 at 5:20 pm
  • Reply Leigh at Fashion Du Jour LDN

I acted in some site specific shows at the Tower but never been properly inside, so these top tips are great! Thought that the Crown Jewels would attract the most attention, so nice to know when to plan it into a visit.

Thanks for sharing!

Leigh at Fashion Du Jour LDN x

October 12, 2017 at 12:56 pm
  • Reply Amanda

I have lived in London all my life… but can you believe that I have never been here! Will have to save your tips for future research x

October 13, 2017 at 4:45 pm
  • Reply Lubka Henry

I haven’t visited it yet and never actually thought about how many crowns the royal family has :))

October 14, 2017 at 7:51 pm
  • Reply Thena

What great tips! Again, I need to travel more and see these places! So much history in the world, at our fingertips. Love seeing your pics, too!

October 17, 2017 at 5:12 am