Three Reasons Why Makeup Dupes Can Be A Great Choice

I’ve always had mixed feelings about makeup dupes, and in many cases I find that the higher brand items tend to be of a higher quality, something you’d expect. But this doesn’t always mean that the cheaper high street dupe is bad.

In the modern world, so many high-street and budget brands such as MUA, W7, LaGirl, and NYX are producing high-quality items which can give the high-end versions a run for their money.

Here are some reasons why dupes can be great:

Allows you to buy products you otherwise couldn’t afford

Not everyone can afford to blow £40-50 every time a new high-end release comes out but by choosing a dupe you’re allowing yourself to get into the hype surrounding a product without having to shell out a large sum of money. One such dupe is the W7 In the Nude Palette which is a spot on dupe for the Urban Decay Naked Palette 3. As you can see from the images the colour comparisons are pretty much identical meaning that if you don’t want to shell out loads on an expensive palette you can get a similar feel with this W7 option. Yes the shades aren’t quite as buttery and blendable as the Urban Decay versions and you need to add a bit more shadow to get the same colour payout but at just £7.99 (although it’s currently on sale).

Gives you a choice of products you may find hard to source in the UK

Not all items are easy to get your hands on in the UK, and while it would be nice to constantly buy items from the States the import charges can get a little silly sometimes. One item that has become a bit of a cult classic are the Becca Highlighters, especially Champagne Pop which you can see in the image. The LA Girl Strobing Powder may not look like a dupe when you see it in the  case but when swatched they have similar shades with the LA Girl version having slightly more of a silver undertone compared to the Becca champagne undertone but in terms to the pigmentation, longevity, and ease of application they’re very much on a par. For under £10 you can get the LA Girl version which is much larger than the Becca version I have which was almost double the price.

Allows you to experiment more with colours and shades

Liquid lipsticks are the product I am most drawn to and I love it when brands bring out more unusual shades like Kat Von D with the grays and browns, especially Woolf which is a muted dark grayish blue matte finish lipstick. I’m always in a predicament when higher end brands come out with more unusual shades as I worry about spending £20-40 on something but then the colour not suiting me. That’s why the LA Girl Metal Liquid Lipstick’s are a great alternative as for just £7 you can try out a new shade and see what you think. For example, Clash which I have is a perfect alternative for the Kat Von D. Like these liquid lipsticks the colour was really buildable and dried down to a matte shade just a few minutes after applying. While the LA Girl shades didn’t last quite as long as the KVD one’s you do get a good 4-5 hours with them which for a fraction of the price is well worth it.

Pin It!

Can't afford the best brand? Here are Three Reasons Why Makeup Dupes Can Be A Great Choice

October 12, 2017

• Reply Emma Raphael

That’s really interesting, I had no idea that half of these dupes existed. I stick to the same old brands currently (my husband travels a lot with work so he always gets a list for duty free!). I need to experiment a bit more with these dupes! 🙂

October 12, 2017 at 12:28 pm
  • Reply Kara

I don’t think I have ever spent money on a top make-up brand, so dupes are fine by me

October 12, 2017 at 1:45 pm
  • Reply Star harford

I think make up dupes are useful. Especially as, as you say you can afford more as they are cheaper!

October 12, 2017 at 5:11 pm
  • Reply Sarah Bailey

I think dupes can be great, they really are pocket-friendly and many have good pay off, so if your on a budget they are a must.

October 12, 2017 at 5:26 pm
  • Reply Nayna Kanabar

I totally agree that dupes are excellent if you want to try some thing new without spending the earth.

October 12, 2017 at 9:33 pm
  • Reply Sarah

Dupes are really great! But I think it’s important to experiment and try out different..cheaper brands. In all honesty though I’ve never spent TONS of money on make up!

October 12, 2017 at 10:25 pm
  • Reply Sreekar

Wifey loved this post. She is a sucker for these kind of things! I can literally see her amazoning away for these!

October 13, 2017 at 9:47 am
  • Reply Melanie

I would be well up for trying makeup dupes, if they preform the same – why not 🙂 x

October 13, 2017 at 9:52 am
  • Reply Katy - Hot Pink Wellingtons

I love a good dupe. You can’t deny that the cheaper brands often don’t have the finish or the durability of the more expensive ones, but sometimes you just don’t have the cash to splash! I’ll admit I often seek out the MAC dupes when I’m pushed for money, or want to check out if a shade really works for me before spending a lot.

October 13, 2017 at 10:28 am
  • Reply Samantha Donnelly - StressedMum

I have to admit these days dupes are my budget, although I do also treat myself to the expensive ranges at times, they really are a great alternative to trying the latest trends x

October 13, 2017 at 11:03 am
  • Reply melissa major

I love buying dupes as they are so many to choose from and I like to try different makeup looks so the cheaper option can be better for me and my wallet lol

October 13, 2017 at 11:39 am
  • Reply five little doves

I totally agree, £40+ on an eye shadow palette is a lot of money, the dupe is actually just as good in terms of colours and I barely wear make up so for me it would be crazy to splash out on the Urban decay!

October 13, 2017 at 2:02 pm
  • Reply Angela Milnes

I am a huge fan of dupes make ups and it’s hard for me to buy a high end make ups, dupes are great too and I can save money

October 13, 2017 at 2:51 pm
  • Reply Ana Ojha

Dupes sounds really great! Also, one doesn’t need to break her wallet! So it’s a win-win situation!

October 13, 2017 at 9:33 pm
  • Reply Cath - BattleMum

It’s rare I buy high end brands of makeup as I can’t justify it because I don’t wear makeup too often. I am a huge fan of NYX and it’s good to know there are other options out there.

October 13, 2017 at 10:32 pm
  • Reply Margarette Puno

Aw. Never imagine myself spending much on make ups. I prefer buying cheap products but of good quality.

October 14, 2017 at 3:01 am
  • Reply Helen

I really likes that it enables you to try out new make up colours/textures/products. It’s fun to experiment and if that means buying dupes then that’s great!

October 14, 2017 at 6:46 am
  • Reply Tracy

Really interesting! I definitely fall into the lower price bracket kind of shopper, and have always been that way. I find it hard spending money on myself as it is, and most certainly would never pay those shocking prices for more “high end” products. Especially, as you say, that you can often get a similar quality for much lower!

October 14, 2017 at 1:23 pm
  • Reply eliza

Those are amazing points. This option would be a great savings for us ladies that requires quality yet more affordable make ups and a lot of choices too. I am not aware of dupes before, Good thing you’ve shared this. Thank you.

October 14, 2017 at 3:15 pm
  • Reply Emma

I prefer to have a few high end products that I know are good quality, but then I don’t really experiment too much with my make up.

October 14, 2017 at 3:18 pm
  • Reply Emily Leary

I find makeup can be so variable and that dupes often give great results, which is especially nice when you’re looking to try out something new!

October 14, 2017 at 6:00 pm
  • Reply Claire

I love this. I really begrudge spending a fortune on make up…but at the same time am jealous when I see friends with the most amazing kit. Definitely going to try the W7 palette you mention. Thank you. Cx

October 14, 2017 at 6:01 pm
  • Reply Amy - All about a Mummy

I think dupes are great to try new looks and for more dramatic colours you wouldn’t wear everyday

October 14, 2017 at 6:04 pm
  • Reply Louise

So true! I always buy my teenage daughter dupes of my fave high end products as (a) she’d use all mine up if I let her lol, and (b) she wouldn’t be able to afford to replace the originals when she’s run out, so it’s better to buy her something she can afford to replace when it runs out 🙂

Louise x

October 15, 2017 at 7:07 am
  • Reply Baby Isabella

We’ve never bought dupes before but it is a great way to experiment without breaking the bank!

October 15, 2017 at 8:39 am
  • Reply Katrina

Hands up for dupes. I am all for them
    As long as they contain nothing harmful. I’m loving my w7 pallets as dupes and saved me a fortune

October 15, 2017 at 10:21 am
  • Reply Ania Travels

Interesting. I’ve never really trued any makeup dupes but now I totally would. They’re a great alternative and the price is right 🙂

October 15, 2017 at 10:34 pm
  • Reply Anosa

I often buy the dupes than the high end ones because as you said I can’t always afford to shell out when the high end comes out.

October 16, 2017 at 10:00 am
  • Reply Super Busy Mum

This applies to so other many things as well, and not just make-up. It’s great being able to find a cheaper alternative that’s just as good on quality.

October 16, 2017 at 2:46 pm
  • Reply Ana De- Jesus

I love dupes and NYX has some great ringers for brands like Anastasia Beverly Hills or Too Faced, which are both cruelty free brands that I love x

October 16, 2017 at 11:07 pm
  • Reply London Mumma

I would never knock a dupe, if it i s a good one and these beauty bits look great, pigmentation is just as good.

October 23, 2017 at 3:41 pm