Five Things I Really Want When I Move Into My Forever Home

Five Things I Really Want When I Move Into My Forever Home

Currently, I’m living in a two bedroom flat and while I love the space and I’ve made the best of the area I do yearn to have a proper house. A place where I can make major changes to create the absolute perfect space exactly how I want it. Me and my other half have spoken about houses and while we know it’s a fair few years away it doesn’t stop me planning the ideal house in my mind. Here are a few things I really want in my forever home

A dressing room

I have a lot of clothes and I know between me and my other half we’d need three double wardrobes and some drawers, if not a bit more. The idea of having a bedroom engulfed in wardrobes fills me a little with dread as I like to think my bedroom would be light, airy and full of space so this is why I really want a dressing room. I’d even be prepared to knock through a small box bedroom to turn that into a dressing room if that was the only way. I’d love to have floor to ceiling wardrobes customized to have all the right fittings that we’d need for our clothes, shoes, bags and more.

A library area

I think the idea of a library must have stemmed from watching Beauty and the Beast a few too many times as a kid but I’ve always thought it’s something I want. A whole room as a library would be impossible within an affordable house – unless I win the lottery – but having a corner of a room with bookshelves right to the ceiling and a comfy chair to sit and read on is something I’d love to have.

An antique fireplace

Having come from a flat I’ve not had access to a fireplace for years but I remember when I was a kid I loved the warmth it brought in the winter so I’d love to have one fitted, especially some of these Westland fireplaces. The idea of snuggling up in the winter time with the fire going and a good movie playing fills me with excitement. I also want two cats so I know they’d love to lay in front of a fireplace in the colder months and warm their fur.

A space-saving kitchen

Now I’d like a decent size kitchen, none of this alley looking kitchens – in an ideal world I’d love an island – but whatever the size I’d want to make it super space saving and have every cupboard made to measure and utilized well. I’d seen so many gadgets which fit into corner cupboards which I know would be perfect to use up all the space and having larder and other cupboards with shelves the right height etc. I’m definitely one for using all available space and in the kitchen this is essential.

A man cave outhouse

I know that my other half would need a man cave, or a room for all of his items such as the 3D printer, games consoles, and PC and in an ideal world I’d love some sort of garage or outhouse so I can add some big blinds in such as these from Velux so it doesn’t get too dark and give him a space that’s just his. Obviously, I’d still like to play games but I think having a more minimal living area and a less cluttered office would work better for both of us.

What are your home must-haves?
This post has been written in collaboration with Westland London and Velux but all thoughts and opinions are my own

1. November 1, 2017 / 6:52 pm

Ha, hubby would love the idea of a tech filled man cave. I agree a space saving kitchen is a good idea but one that doesn’t compromise on size.

2. November 1, 2017 / 8:19 pm

A library! Isn’t that everyone’s dream!! I hope you don’t have to compromise on librabry space in your forever home!!

3. November 1, 2017 / 11:14 pm

The only you NEED is your OH…what you want are things you can get as you go along. I think a good quality kitchen is definitely a must…I have a library but it seems to get used less and less….

4. November 2, 2017 / 2:31 am

Great ideas…the dressing room is a lovely idea as keeps everything look fresh and organised x

5. Helen
    November 2, 2017 / 3:59 pm

Oo yes I would love a dressing room – space to get ready in peace!

6. November 2, 2017 / 6:04 pm

A space saving kitchen would be a dream! A library is a must in any home too. 🙂

7. November 2, 2017 / 6:26 pm

I would love a dressing room and we are shortly due to start our kitchen renovations. Other than that, I am fairly happy with our house (although a bath would be nice – three bathrooms but not one tub!). Hope you get your forever home, and everything you want in it, soon!

8. November 2, 2017 / 8:09 pm

A dressing room is my number one priority, haha! I bet my boyfriend would also love a man cave – basically all of these 5 points are the same as mine – a big kitchen is so important I think as I love baking!

9. November 2, 2017 / 8:28 pm

Oh, I’d love a real library area. I just don’t have the space in my home. 🙁

10. November 2, 2017 / 8:54 pm

I’m with you here – I would really love a dressing room and have everything laid out and on displayed x

11. November 2, 2017 / 9:39 pm

You have some lovely ideas. If I ever have a forever home, me and my OH really want a log burning fire!!!

12. November 3, 2017 / 5:08 am

We have the worlds tiniest kitchen so I’d love our forever home to have a large kitchen where we could all sit and eat breakfast as a family. I’d love a window seat upstairs too so I could snuggle up and read a book watching the world pass me by! Simple things!

13. November 3, 2017 / 10:00 am

A dressing room would be top of my list but at the moment I’d settle for a utility room – the kids generate so much washing and there’s never anywhere to dry it!

14. November 3, 2017 / 10:01 am

A dressing room would be top of my list too! I’d love to turn my second bedroom into one x

15. Jess
    November 3, 2017 / 11:41 am

Aww ‘forever home’, Rhian you sound like a lost puppy! Love the idea of a space saving kitchen. I think if anything, I’d want a nice office space in my forever home. Maybe with a ‘work shop’ vibe so that I can get creative if need be. Nothing too clinical.

16. November 3, 2017 / 4:46 pm

I would love a house and also a fireplace and a chair by it for me to sit and read in x

17. Ger ( It's Me & Ethan)
    November 3, 2017 / 5:23 pm

Would love a library in my home! I definitely need some help with the kitchen ,I love your space saving ideas !!!

18. November 3, 2017 / 6:38 pm

Your dream home sounds lovely. I would like a massive kitchen!! And my boyfriend would need a room to store his bikes!

19. November 3, 2017 / 9:52 pm

Library area for sure! I also would probably want a wine bar. I’m fortunate to have the fireplace in my apartment as well as spacious kitchen and the dressing room. But this definitely is a dreamy home.

20. November 4, 2017 / 9:14 am

A library or study, a dressing room and a very spacious kitchen is a must have for me.

21. November 5, 2017 / 1:20 pm

I would love a fireplace too. It looks so nice and cosy. Plus the dressing room sounds like fab as well! Like a movies’ star!

22. November 5, 2017 / 9:35 pm

We are starting to look fr our forever home and some of our chosen features are the same! We want a real fire as we have one in our current house. Chris wants an outhouse or somewhere to be a man-cave 🙂

23. Jen
    November 6, 2017 / 11:16 am

My husband and I are re-decorating our house at the moment, and it has been a great excuse to change a lot of things. Helped by the added space of my daughter moving out too. I’m trying to be assertive and following a minialist view to as much as I can, simply to create space. Doesn’t mean I have to do without the things I love though, and one of those things is books. Adore them. Having my own little library is my dream. At the moment, it’s just shelves. But if I can design a reading area to suit, I’d be more than happy.

24. November 6, 2017 / 3:32 pm

These ideas are brilliant. I also dream of having a library area, even if it’s part of a home office/study. x

25. November 6, 2017 / 6:32 pm

Yes, yes, yes to the fireplace!! Where else can you hang a stocking at Christmas?! I’m in the process of buying a new house (a Victorian mid-terrace), and I’m gutted that the previous owner has bricked up the fireplaces. They will be the first thing I modify when I move in! x