Reasons Why People Choose To Move Abroad

Reasons Why People Choose To Move Abroad

A recent study or 1,400 Brit’s by HouseBuyFast showed that 70% of people would move around the globe to countries like America, Australia and Spain given the chance and it got me thinking about why people might want to move.

Some reasons might be obvious like the abundance of sunshine in some countries, but some reasons are a bit deeper than that and revolve less about the want to travel and have sunshine and more about the quality of life and what living abroad could give to your life than being in the UK couldn’t.

I’ve never really thought much about living abroad, hell I’ve never really thought about moving an hour or so away from where I am at the moment as I am too attached to the people I live near and being close to the capital. But I spoke to some fellow bloggers – some of which have already moved from their birth country – to find out the appeal of moving abroad

The Weather

Some people just can’t deal with the cold and wet months of the British Weather and while everywhere gets a winter, some countries don’t get it as harshly. Jen from Justaveragejen chose Majorca for just that reason “I would love to move to Majorca as it’s nice and warm most of the year but not too hot and a nice distance away so that we could still visit easily enough.”

Bethany of Munchiedup has already moved but dreams of better weather “Having moved abroad before (Thailand and South Africa), I’d definitely consider doing it again. I’d probably consider moving to New Zealand as it’s far enough away for a fresh start and the temperate weather makes it far more attractive than somewhere that’s hotter all year round.”

Ischia Thermal Baths 2

Better Quality of Life

For some people, it’s more about the quality of life that living abroad could offer. Sarah from Digital Motherhood said “We’re thinking about it right now! Considering moving to Spain – mainly for a better quality of life for us and our daughter and property that we can afford! Just looking into options for schools at the moment.”

Latoya of PureNourish said “I would love to move to Denmark. They have a great education and health system and a fantastic work life balance and is constantly named as the happiest country in the world.”

Finances

The cost of living and buying a house in the UK is scary so some people are thinking of moving abroad to make life more affordable. David of Thinking Thrifty said “I’ve given up on buying my first home in the UK, I’m not prepared to saddle myself with so much debt at 36. So, the plan has changed to saving towards early retirement in the sun, Lanzarote would be my choice right now as I lived there for 4 years when I was younger. I’ve given myself until 50 to do it”

Hawaii Beach

Due to Family

For some people, they have family and other opportunities abroad which would make them want to move. Christy of Welsh Mum said “As my husband is American and all his family lives in the USA we seriously considered moving our family to the USA and I did live there with him for a while some years ago. However, given the political situation there over the last few years and my complicated health problems which could be problematic on a new health insurance policy, we’ve decided that we’re ruling it out for the immediate future. It’s always a possibility though, and we are registering our son as a dual citizen so that he has the option to choose freely when he is older.”

Past Positive Experiences

For some people they’ve already moved around a lot and positive past experiences have helped to make them open to moving again. Shelley Anne Morecroft said “I’m originally from Germany so moving to the UK was my abroad move and I’m not gonna lie, it’s scary but also so interesting at the same time. You learn so much about yourself and it’s a great challenge; England is now my home but my heart will always belong to Germany.”

Anca of Anca’s Lifestyle said “I moved from Romania to UK 6 years ago and it was the best decision I took. I love so much living here, from the weather to different opportunities. Now I feel like my home is here, even more after we got our own house 3 years ago. Moving was not hard, it was exciting.”

Have you ever considered living abroad?

Reasons Why People Choose To Move Abroad

This post was written in collaboration with HouseBuyFast but all opinions and research was my own

1. December 2, 2017 / 8:59 pm

My husband and I would love to retire abroad. Fingers crossed!

2. December 3, 2017 / 8:04 am

I really admire people who move somewhere that makes them happy. Every time we go on holiday I imagine moving abroad, but my sensible head worries that being away from familiarity and family would be just too hard

3. December 3, 2017 / 9:20 am

I am Canadian and moved to the UK 19 years ago for a better quality of life. Everything is so much better here, I think. I can’t imagine why anyone would want to live elsewhere (except for the terrible weather!)

4. December 3, 2017 / 11:49 am

I’d love to move somewhere with a better climate; winter really doesn’t suit me! But I couldn’t bring myself to leave family behind. Hopefully at some point in the future, towards retirement, we’ll escape to the sun. Southern Spain would be perfect – mild winters and not too far from the UK if we needed to get back.

5. December 3, 2017 / 8:02 pm

I’m Danish and moved here to the UK 8 years ago. Can’t see myself moving back but possibly to a warmer country. I love London though so unlikely x

6. December 3, 2017 / 10:26 pm

I love the idea of moving abroad to experience a different culture and way of life, but I think I would get too homesick. Extended travelling, though, would be a different matter!

7. December 4, 2017 / 10:08 am

I am from Thailand originally and I do miss the warmth and culture. Britain is so cold this time of year. Su

8. December 4, 2017 / 11:48 am

This is really interesting to read opinions on this. I would 100% consider moving away and it has on occasion been a serious conversation in our household. I would quite happily move to America or Canada. The things that hold us back are family and Hubbys work. He would have to start building contacts all over again and as he is the main bread winner it’s a bit of a risk.

9. December 4, 2017 / 8:53 pm

We chose to move abroad as we actually lived in France for 14 years. We chose to move there because of cheaper house prices, cheaper food and of course better weather. I recommend everyone moves abroad at some point in their life, even if it’s just for 1 year

10. December 5, 2017 / 12:25 am

We’ve just moved back to the UK, after 6 years abroad in Germany. Funnily enough, the Scottish weather was one of the things I missed – I just couldn’t cope with the heat in Germany during summer.

11. December 5, 2017 / 11:03 am

I am actually not a sunseaker so weather is not a major one. However im always striving for a more relaxed way of life so I’d deffo consider a move x

12. December 5, 2017 / 2:30 pm

I’ve lived in the US for 3 months while my husband had an internship there – it was fun, but very different. My sister lives in Japan 🙂 x

13. December 5, 2017 / 6:24 pm

I’d quite like to move abroad for the weather and also because I prefer the culture in some countries – Portugal, for example.

14. Sarah Ann
    December 5, 2017 / 10:34 pm

I always thought I would love to move abroad for better weather in particular. But actually, as the years have gone on I realise I love my hometown too much. Just calls for more holidays, haha!

15. December 5, 2017 / 11:12 pm

As much as I love the weather abroad, I would never leave home. My parents are round the corner and Id never leave them!

16. December 6, 2017 / 12:44 pm

I’ve never lived outside of the U.S. but even though things over here aren’t great, I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. My family and closest friends are here. I will not leave them. However, spending a few months in Scotland or Ireland would be my dream place for a little getaway. I also like the idea of spending some time in Greece and Italy as well:)

17. Hannah
    December 6, 2017 / 8:11 pm

I would love to move aboard for a while one day – such a great experience!

18. December 6, 2017 / 8:55 pm

I’d definitely move for weather. I’m currently huddled up under covers with my 2nd bought of flu for the year. I’d move to a warmer climate. I’ve never thought of moving for finances, but I guess that’s another really great option! x

19. December 6, 2017 / 9:29 pm

Looking at these pictures I can defo see why people like to move abroad. I would like too but would find it super hard to move too far away from friends and family!

20. Zena's Suitcase
    December 6, 2017 / 9:37 pm

I would love to live abroad at some point. I think some countries offer a better quality of life. There’s some great points in this post

21. December 6, 2017 / 11:17 pm

I would definitely move abroad for better weather, my husband isn’t at all interested though so I guess we are staying put!

22. December 7, 2017 / 8:18 am

I would definitely move abroad. Though I’m still thinking of a place with a favourable climate.

23. December 8, 2017 / 10:01 am

We moved last year. It wasn’t easy to leave the UK but we simply wanted a better quality of life and more freedom. Never been happier since!