Ultimate Guide To Spending Four Days In Rome

Ultimate Guide To Spending Four Days In Rome

Concluding on from my post about Venice I’m here to talk about the second half of my Italian adventure holiday to Rome. Me and my boyfriend chose to do two different cities as firstly the transport links in Italy are fantastic so it was easy to get to but also because we wanted a contrast between a relaxing city with no cars to a tourist hotspot with some of the most visited destinations in the world.

How to get to Rome

The easiest way to get into Rome is to fly directly to the Fiumicino Airport which is very close to the city centre and pretty much all forms of transport. Usually, I hop into a taxi from airports but in Rome, this is an unnecessary expense as there’s a train directly from the airport into the main Rome train station which is only half an hour long and runs anywhere up to 7/8 times an hour.

For me we had come from Venice so we got a train straight from Venice to Rome which only took about 3.5 hours which I don’t think is bad at all. Rome has some great transport links to other Italian cities as well such as Naples and Florence so it’s a great base for a larger holiday.

kaftan

Palazzo Montemartini

As I mentioned in my Venice post we decided to go for a bit of luxury so we looked for nice hotels which weren’t too far from the main Rome station so we could just walk from our train. This is when we found the Palazzo Montemartini which is a 5-star hotel located seconds away from the main train station and decided that this was going to be our number one choice.

This was my very first time staying in a 5-star hotel and it was so luxurious that the staff were perfect and we had a great stay here. I won’t go into too much detail as I’m going to do a full hotel review soon but one thing I will talk about is the spa. As Rome was where we were due to spend our anniversary we decided to book a couple’s massage in the hotel’s spa and my god was it incredible.

I didn’t fancy doing the whole walk down in just my swimsuit and a dressing gown so I opted to wear this kaftan* from Miss Tunica. It’s absolutely perfect for this kind of thing as it covers me up enough to feel comfortable walking around but isn’t bulky or hard to take on or off, I know this will definitely be coming with me on some summer holiday’s next year.

colosseum, rome

Things you have to do

We knew Rome was going to be our part of the holiday to do some more exploring as there’s a lot of huge tourist attractions in the city, and yes sometimes the queues are long and they might be crowded but for the most part they’re worth it.

The Colosseum is the iconic image of Rome and a must visit, although don’t be drawn into the people outside offering tours and easy access as it works out much more expensive. Join the queue and for under €20 each you can get entrance to both the Colosseum and neighboring Roman Forum and an audio/ video guide. Obviously, once you’ve bought this ticket you’ll want to do the Forum’s which showcase loads of old Roman ruins and some stunning architecture.

rome building

Next up is something I’m always an advocate of and that’s the Big Bus hop-on, hop-off bus tours as I think you get to see so much during the few hour trip and it takes you to places which you’d probably not walk to, especially if you’re tight on time.

Three sites are very close together in the main centre of Rome and that’s the Spanish Steps, The Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain, all great places to walk between. The later was probably the busiest as tourists throw in coins and make a wish, but while it might be a tourist trap I feel like it’s got to be done.

pompeii

Day trips

We pre-booked a day trip out to Pompeii and Naples before we headed to Rome and I couldn’t recommend it enough. Pompeii is an old city which was covered with ash and debris after a volcanic eruption thousands of years ago and thus the whole city was more or less preserved when they started to discover it. This is somewhere I’d wanted to visit for a long time so the trip price was more than worth it. You can choose to do Pompeii on your own by getting the train to Naples and then making your way to the site, but we chose to do the trip as it included a comfortable coach to take you everywhere and we even had an hour guided tour of Naples and lunch included.

As I said you can do a day-trip to Naples in a few hours from Rome which is where you can access the beautiful Amalfi Coast and Sorrento from, it’s also where the boats depart for my favourite island Ischia, or Capri.

Spag Bowl

Eating in Rome

There’s so much choice of food in Rome and much like other Italian cities, there’s an abundance of pizza and pasta which you’ll find at near enough every restaurant you visit. Again we used Trip Advisor and the restaurant that we ended up visiting twice was Ristorante Pizzeria Al 39 where I had the best cheese four -cheese gnocchi that I’ve ever had, and a pizza which was so yummy. Again dishes were so cheap with a three-course meal with two soft drinks each barely costing us €45.

Then on our anniversary we opted for a something a little nicer and ended up at a restaurant just outside the Colosseum called Ristoro della Salute which was definitely a great choice. The staff were incredibly attentive – without being overbearing – and I had the best Mojito I’ve ever had. The food was great quality, fresh and delicious. It’s worth checking Trip Advisor beforehand as we booked a table online and got 30% off our bill for doing so.

Ultimate Guide To Spending Four Days In Rome

1. December 1, 2017 / 12:53 pm

Rome is one the to of my list of places I would love to visit. Ive always wanted to go to Pompeii as well. I’ve got such a fascination with the Roman Empire

2. December 4, 2017 / 5:03 pm

I visited Pisa and Florence a few years ago, so Rome is high on my To Do list. Id love to see the Coliseum, theres so much history, it sounds fascinating.

3. December 4, 2017 / 7:10 pm

As a massive history geek, Pompeii is somewhere I would love to go to as well and like you I am also an advocate for the hop on, hop off type bus tours. They are a great way of getting around. You look great in your tunic! x

4. December 4, 2017 / 8:32 pm

Rome is such a unique and wonderful city! You can feel the history there. wvery time I’m so amazed. Fantastic tips for every Rome visitors!

5. December 4, 2017 / 9:14 pm

Rome is a place I really want to visit and you’ve photographed it so well. Maybe I will add a trip to rome to my bucket list for 2018. x

6. December 5, 2017 / 1:12 am

Superb, I could so very well connect since I visited Rome for 3 days last year only and enjoyed every bit of it from colosseum to Trevi fountain to Spanish steps to having gelato’s. Its an amazing place.

7. December 5, 2017 / 1:51 am

I’ve been to Rome like 10 years ago and I visited the Colosseum what a amazing historic building. Yum! I miss the food though. Next time I visit, I’ll try Ristorante Pizzeria Al 39. It’s bookmarked 🙂

8. December 5, 2017 / 4:17 am

Rome is the place of traditions, history and good foods. It’s already on the list of my favorite destinations. I want to visit Colosseum and other major attractions in Rome & Italy. Hope soon I can reach there.

It’s an interesting reading. Thanks for the share,

9. December 5, 2017 / 5:15 am

I love rome ❤ and your post is a great guide for a mini vacay . Thank you so much

10. December 5, 2017 / 10:57 am

Oh Rome is right at the top of my bucket list! It sounds amazing and these are all great tips to fitting everything into four days! I so need to book it!

11. December 5, 2017 / 11:23 am

We had a great time when we went to Rome three years ago. I didn’t enjoy the food, shocking for me and Italy I know.

12. Sarmistha Goswami
    December 5, 2017 / 6:02 pm

It was wonderful to see Rome through your eyes! Though it’s been on my bucket list for a while now. I loved all the photographs and it’s great to know the food isn’t expensive there, because I looove Italian food! 🙂
    Thanks for sharing.
    Do drop by my blog as well 🙂

13. December 5, 2017 / 8:57 pm

It looks stunning. I’ve visited Naples before but never Rome. Definitely one for my to do list.

14. suchi
    December 5, 2017 / 9:04 pm

Rome is such a beautiful city! You can feel the history there. Nice tips for Rome Travellers.

15. December 6, 2017 / 5:09 am

I would love to one day visit Rome, such a beautiful place! Your pictures capture so much of its beuaty!

16. December 6, 2017 / 7:53 am

Beautiful.
    Rome is such a lovely place.

17. December 6, 2017 / 11:07 am

Rome is so beautiful. I love the sound of the gnocchi you had, delicious!

18. December 6, 2017 / 12:41 pm

It looks like you had an amazing time celebrating your anniversary in Italy. The food sounds incredible too but then I wouldn’t expect anything less from Rome!

19. December 6, 2017 / 1:41 pm

I have neveer been but dying to go tot Rome, if not next year then certainly the following with my daughter.

20. December 6, 2017 / 1:52 pm

Looks fab
    My sister is just back and she’s thinking about going again ! It’s definitely on my list of city breaks ! I love the history of it too!

21. December 6, 2017 / 3:01 pm

Oh what a beautifuly written guide , Rome is on my wish list to go and now you convinved me that i nee to visit there pronto

22. December 6, 2017 / 7:14 pm

I’ve been to Rome and for 4 days as well and I thought it was a nice amount of time to be there

23. December 6, 2017 / 7:35 pm

Rome is definitely on my list of places to visit. I do hope to go soon. And you still looked amazing in that outfit going out. I just love the history and the beauty of everything in Rome.

24. Sarah Ann
    December 6, 2017 / 9:32 pm

I’m so glad you got the chance to visit Pompeii, I’ve been there many times (and worked there for a bit) and it is one of my favourite places, even though it’s sort of eerie in parts. Rome is a great base for exploring Italy, one of my favourite cities.

25. December 6, 2017 / 11:50 pm

Oh my! I missed Rome! I never ceased being delightful gazing the Colosseum – its truly epic, iconic and historic. I feel like in a movie every-time I look at it. I bet you had a great time.

26. December 7, 2017 / 7:07 am

Looks like there’s a lot of things to do in Rome. I would love to visit there one day.

27. December 7, 2017 / 10:14 am

I’ve literally just written my ultimate Italian bucket list which includes a good few places in Rome. I really can’t wait to visit one day – fab guide 🙂 x

28. December 7, 2017 / 11:07 am

Oh, I would absolutely LOVE to visit Rome one day! A city steeped in such history and culture. It looks like you had a fab time!

29. Zena's Suitcase
    December 7, 2017 / 9:08 pm

I would love to visit Rome, and it sounds like you had a great trip. I loved Pompeii too and think it’s something worth ticking off the list

30. December 7, 2017 / 11:32 pm

My parents took us to Rome about 20 years ago. I would love to go back again!

31. December 8, 2017 / 10:20 am

I’ve never been to Rome although it is on my never ending list, the photos look stunning and it sounds like you had a great time, I could so do with a 5 star hotel right now!

32. December 8, 2017 / 3:35 pm

I would love to go to Rome, it’s been on my travel list for so long. It really sounds like you had a fab time and your guide is perfect.

33. Ut Minh
    December 9, 2017 / 8:34 am

Looks like a great place to explore. I’ve heard through Rome, but never had a chance to come. I will save it to my list!

34. December 10, 2017 / 7:06 pm

The trip to Pompeii sounds really good – sometimes it is worth going with a tour rather than doing it on your own. It looks like you had so much fun, I’m really jealous! x

35. December 10, 2017 / 9:18 pm

Wow what a great trip. We did the same thing last year and got the train from Venice to Rome. It was so quick and so easy. We went to all of those places in Rome. My dad is actually from Naples and I went there when I was little and to Pompeii, but not since I was 7. I really want to go back!x

36. December 12, 2017 / 6:08 pm

Really love this post because it’s somewhere I would like to visit & it’s really handy to know these tips!

37. December 13, 2017 / 10:29 pm

Rome is simply magnificent and definitely worth exploring, Rhian. This is definitely the most useful guide I’ve read for there. When’s the best time of the year to explore Rome?

38. December 18, 2017 / 6:24 am

This sounds like such a wonderful trip I’m so jealous! Especially that trip to Pompeii, sounds so UO my Street. Also thanks for some great tips!