Ending The Year On A High With Five Live Shows

Ending The Year On A High With Five Live Shows

December is usually quite a busy month with live shows as bands anxiously try to finish touring for the year with as much time before Christmas as possible and I took full advantage of that even if three shows were the same.

The month started with my three dates of the Good Charlotte tour, and other than the fact that I missed my own bed and my throat ached I could have done more. Friday 1st December saw me and a friend head up to Birmingham ready for the first show which was a great introduction but the venue and loads of tall people meant we couldn’t see much. We managed to catch two of the three supports and I started to see the hype around Milk Teeth.

Early Saturday afternoon we took the train from Birmingham up to Manchester for my favourite night of the tour. We caught all three supports this time which included Nothing, Nowhere, Against the Current and Milk Teeth. This was the night me and my friend were doing press so luckily I managed to take some photos, although the lighting for Good Charlotte was awful including loads of weird streaks so I’m not as happy with those images as I was from shooting them last year. The Manchester Academy was a great open venue and I was very impressed.

The trio of shows ended at London’s Brixton Academy on Sunday evening and while it was a great show my throat hurt so much I couldn’t sing along which made me very sad. I didn’t even get a break as on Monday 4th December me and my boyfriend headed to the O2 Arena to catch Gorillaz as I’d only ever seen them headline Glastonbury before and he’d never seen the band. The show was unlike most things I usually go to but it was such a great show and included appearances from Noel Gallagher and of course Shaun Ryder when they performed ‘Dare’ which is my favourite song of theirs. The whole set was so feel good and they’re a very impressive band.

The final show of 2017 for me was The Prodigy at Brixton Academy on Thursday 21st which was the first of three nights they were playing. Again this was another show which was pretty unlike anything I normally go to but it was an incredible show. The lights and staging was amazing although the strobes were so strong at parts I had to look away and the band themselves were so good, there was such an atmosphere. My only negative was how uneasy I felt at the show, at something like The Prodigy there was a lot of drug deals going on, people off their heads and plenty of arguments/ fights and I didn’t feel 100% happy all show for that reason.

1. January 5, 2018 / 2:33 pm

You’ve been super busy Rhian! You’ve seen some great acts. I really want to go to more gigs and shows this year, so really need to get that sorted. The last show I saw was Mariah Carey in 2016 lol! x

2. January 5, 2018 / 3:08 pm

I am a HUGE Good Charlotte fan!!! Have been since I was 14. *drools over Benji* hahaha! Our 1st gig for 2018 is Bowling For Soup & The Aquabats in February. V.excited!!! x

3. January 5, 2018 / 4:33 pm

Oh my word. I’m sat here with my mouth open wondering how you managed to squeeze in so many shows just before Christmas. I’ve never been to a proper concert before! This is all making me feel very old. LOL. x

4. January 5, 2018 / 5:00 pm

What an amazing way to end the year and three dates to see Good Charlotte! Absolutely AWESOME! I said to Ash I would like to go and see more shows this year if we can as I can’t remember the last one I went too.

5. January 5, 2018 / 5:46 pm

You are always doing such amazing things! How great, The Prodigy at Brixton Academy would be ace x

6. January 5, 2018 / 8:25 pm

Wow what a great way to end the year, it does sound like you were very busy, we haven’t been to a show in a long time x

7. January 5, 2018 / 8:26 pm

Gosh you’ve been busy. I didn’t even know Prodigy were still together…or back together even lol. We did manage one rock concert this year which is one more than last year haha! Good Charlotte chap is looking a bit older etc.

8. January 5, 2018 / 9:36 pm

Milk Teeth? Now that is a rather cute name for a band. What style of music did they play? I dig The Prodigy,they create some very intense sounds,don’t they? Is the female singer from Milk Teeth?

9. January 6, 2018 / 7:45 am

Oh wow, I love The Prodigy! I would have loved to have seen that. I think there’s probably a lot of those underhanded deals going on in all shows – you get young folk together and stuff like that is going to happen. It’s a shame.

10. January 6, 2018 / 10:00 am

I was gutted to have missed Good Charlotte as I was looking forward to it! I really miss being able to see live music now and I am a little bit jealous that you saw some great acts towards the end of the year!

11. January 6, 2018 / 10:32 am

Wow, what a way to end the year. I would love to see Prodigy live

12. January 6, 2018 / 10:46 am

Wow what a brilliant way to end the year! I am so jealous that you saw Good Charlotte!

13. January 6, 2018 / 7:25 pm

You make me want to come home to England! I miss going to the Brixton Academy! In fact, I miss England for the music, there’s always great gigs somewhere in the capital. I’m glad you were able to cap off 2017 with a lot of live shows.

14. hannah
    January 6, 2018 / 8:09 pm

You saw some great shows. Last year I never saw anyone live

15. January 7, 2018 / 5:29 pm

I would have been an uncomfortable too if I attended a show and they were lots of drug deals happening, hope the Prodigy organisers took note of this.

16. January 8, 2018 / 10:15 am

We’ve been to see The Prodigy a few times and have always had such an amazing time and never saw anything like that, such a shame that you had such a bad experience

17. January 8, 2018 / 12:53 pm

You’ve been busy! I’d have loved to have seen The Prodigy and Gorillaz. Sounds like a lot of dodginess at Prodigy though – shame it made for a bad experience.

18. January 8, 2018 / 4:12 pm

I am kind of gutted I never did go and see The Prodigy now x

19. January 8, 2018 / 4:43 pm

Amazing! I love live shows and you nailed them all! I like The Prodigy a lot, I hope to get to be at one of their concerts one day.

20. January 8, 2018 / 6:51 pm

I’m so jealous! I haven’t been to a gig in so long and yet it’s one of my favourite things to do!

21. January 8, 2018 / 8:09 pm

You have such a fab social life! I haven’t heard of half of these but I’m jealous haha. Would love to see Prodigy

22. January 9, 2018 / 12:52 am

I would’ve loved to see Gorillaz live, especially with a couple of guest acts in addition!

23. January 9, 2018 / 9:28 am

I bet Good Charlotte were brilliant! I had no idea they were touring, I would have loved to have seen them x

24. Thena Franssen
    January 9, 2018 / 12:47 pm

What an awesome way to end the year. Those are some really great acts as well! Cheers to a fun and happy new year!!

25. January 10, 2018 / 12:35 pm

Such a busy party schedule. Isn’t it just the best way to finish off a year and be on to a good start with the next one?! :))

26. Hannah
    January 10, 2018 / 7:58 pm

You’ve gone to such good events! I saw The Prodigy a few years ago, randomly one lives near me!

27. January 12, 2018 / 10:40 am

That’s so many shows! I sadly didn’t see that many last year so need to make this year better!